2013 CHL Import draft

Babula

May 31, 2012
Probably Adam Veliky again. :biglaugh:

Why he did not go over, as 7th overall pick ??? I remember, it was a bit surprise for many people, that he was so high in 2012 CHL import draft. Personally it was first time what I had hear his name...

And what do you think ? about this guy : Pavel Zacha

Last edited:

LeafsFIO*

Last I heard, the 67's were pretty high on Ivan Nikolishin. Assuming his stock hasn't dropped and he's available at #2, I really doubt they trade their pick, unless they take Konecny in 3 weeks and get a good deal for the second pick.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
The whole import draft is bull, many european players tell the WHL not to draft them cause they will only play for east coast teams, such bull.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Changes To CHL Import Draft

I note a lot of discussion regarding the trading of draft picks in the CHL Import draft but nothing regarding the new import draft rules.
The OHL web site doesn't give any info at all. I've seen various discussions but no one seems to have the new rules....From what I've seen the CHL draft will not allow the trading of draft picks but again I haven't seen anything firm on this...has anyone?

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
CHL Import Draft Pt 2

As per my previous post here is part of an article from the Windsor Star(on-line)
It should be in Fridays Star.....

“We have two good selections and a chance to get two significant players,†Rychel said.

It is the last time a CHL team will be able to have two selections in the first round with changes to the draft rules preventing teams from dealing their first-round pick in the future. As well, teams cannot deal the player it selects for a year.

Teams are only allowed to keep two import players on their roster with a few exceptions.

Overage players and players that are first-round picks in the National Hockey League Draft can be frozen until it’s determined where they will start next season.

For now, that means Spitfires goalie Jaroslav Pavelka, who is going into his overage season, can be placed on that frozen list and Windsor can make those two picks in the top 20 and figure out how to proceed afterwards.

“At some point, you have to make a decision,†Rychel said..............

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
I realise it has its critics, but as a CHL fan living in the UK, I love the Import Draft.
I enjoy the idea of each team selecting a pair of top end Euros, and see which ones "have the right stuff" to compete against the top North American talent.

Its always tricky to find info on players,pre draft, however I stumbled across this site, which had a great feature on a recent tournament, with thoughts on the top participating Euros.
(all are 1996 er`s, obviously not all will be drafted, but a great article) http://www.ushr.com/news/20120401

Maksim Tretiak, G (CSKA) 6-2/198— Is the grandson of possibly the greatest goaltender of all time, Vladislav Tretiak, now the President of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Maksim wears #20, just like his grandfather once did. A massive kid, Tretiak could be the best ’96 we have seen at his position in the ’96 age group (his competition for the top spot would be Liam Herbst of the Mississauga Rebels). Tretiak, who led Russia to a silver medal at the 2012 Youth Olympics, is a flawless goalie in terms of technique. Add in his size and you have a goalie who is incredibly hard to beat. If there was one player here we feel will become a first round NHL draft pick it would have to be Tretiak. Led his team to a championship over the weekend in Maine, giving up only three goals total in the semifinals and finals against two very good teams in Ak Bars and the Sweden Selects. Tretiak is a franchise goalie in the making and is a name we will all be hearing again the future, as we once did in the past.

Radel Fazleev, F (AK Bars) 6-0/160— (#19) Exciting and fun to watch. Is incredibly intelligent and poised with the puck in the mold of a Pavel Datsyuk. Was the second leading scorer in the tournament, producing a 7-8-15 scoring line in seven games played. Is not a burner, but is extremely agile and as slippery as they come. Never throws the puck away and makes a play every time he has it on his stick. There were times he found his way out of situations that had everyone in the building raising their eyebrows. Excellent in high-traffic areas and dangerous on the PP. Another player with first round NHL draft potential.

Dima Timashov, F (Sweden Selects) 5-8/170—(#11) A player you want on your team. Has a high skill level and a compete level to match. Wants the puck on his stick at all times and is relentless in retrieving loose pucks. Is very dangerous in the offensive zone and is a marksman rolling off the half wall. We are told he is the top forward in his homeland and will compete for a spot on the Swedish World Junior Team as a 16 year old. Led the tournament in scoring with a 9-8-17 scoring line.

Evgeniy Svechnikov, F (AK Bars) 6-1/180—(#7) Tall forward who is a good skater and a bull on the puck. Played on line with Fazleev, and the two regularly dominated entire shifts. Projects nicely and is another player who could be a high draft pick. Is not as flashy as his linemate, but is equally productive and plays more of a North American style. Produced a 5-7-12 scoring line, good for sixth in the tournament scoring race.

Andrey Kuzmenko, F (CSKA) 5-8/143—(#10) Small, but extremely quick. Bobs and weaves through traffic with alluring grace. Is a shark in water in the offensive zone as the diminutive Russian pounces on loose pucks. Hard to contain in the corners as he can turn on a dime. 5-4-9 scoring line.

Egor Orlov, D (CSKA) 6-0/165—(#55) Smooth, puck-moving defender is typical of a European defenseman in that he is very good with the puck, but not as effective under physical duress. Played this past season for Moscow Dynamo, but was picked up by CSKA for this tournament —and made a difference too, as CSKA topped AK Bars, something they were unable to do in Russia. Was the top-scoring defender for his team, striking for a 2-4-6 scoring line.

Maxim Lazarev, F (AK Bars) 5-9/152—(#23) Dangerous. You sleep on this player for a second in the offensive zone and he will bury the puck in the back of the net. Is enjoyable to watch as he has game-breaking ability displayed by many Europeans (Radulov, Bure, Gaborik, etc). Is not very big, nor is he a complete player. Doesn’t do a lot of competing defensively, but loves scoring goals and displayed a quick release, which he used often on the PP in one-time situations. Makes himself available on the back door often. 7-6-13 scoring line.

Gustav Bouramann, D (Sweden Selects) 5-11/172—(#97) An elite talent. Is a 1/24/97 DOB making him the youngest player on his team. Playing a year up does not faze the puck-moving defenseman one bit. Has a gifted set of hands and makes good, sound decisions under pressure. Likely is one of the top ’97 defenseman in Europe.

Ivan Nikolishin, F (CSKA) 5-9/157—(#11) Excellent stick; makes eye-popping plays. Thinks the game at a high level and possesses exceptional vision. Is not very big or very fast, but understands how to create scoring chances. Is strong on his skates and is excellent making plays while protecting the puck. 7-5-12 in eight games played.

Eduard Nasybullin, D (AK Bars) 5-8/152—(#18) If this kid were an American he would be a top college prospect. Very likely will have a long career overseas, but do not know that he has the size to be effective in the North American pro game. Intelligent and slick with the puck. Slides through the opposition and is very elusive in traffic. Top scoring defenseman for AK Bars—2-4-6.

Haralds Egle, F (Latvia Selects) 5-8/185—Skilled Latvian is attempting to follow in the footsteps of UVM recruit Zemgus Girgensons, his fellow countryman. Played this past season for the Green Mountain Glades of the Empire League and led his team in scoring with an 18-29-47 scoring line in only 32 games played. Had an excellent weekend and produced a lot of offense, finishing tied for second in tournament scoring with a 7-8-15 line in only six games played.

Stanislav Kondratyev, F (CSKA) 5-9/161—(#96) Having a difficult time figuring out why the electric Russian produced a paltry 3-0-3 scoring line in eight games played. Was one of the most skilled offensive players on hand. Has a quick first step and is incredibly hard to contain in 1x1 situations. Has – like most of the forwards on CSKA -- outstanding puck skills and vision.

Artem Rasulov, F (AK Bars) 5-11/150—(#22) Does not play like a stereotypical Russian. An unselfish center who is effective in the dirty areas of the ice. Is strong on the puck and is solid in the faceoff circle. Will be a much different player when he fills out. 2-6-8 in seven games played.

Andrey Svetlakov, F (CSKA) 5-11/170—(#87) Top offensive talent. Creative with the puck on his stick and extremely dangerous on the man advantage. Fun to watch. 6-5-11 in eight games played.

Dennis Sergushkin, F (Metallurg) 6-0/148—Metallurg was nowhere near as good as the other two Russian teams, but Sergushkin, a tall, slender forward who is a strong skater with a good stick, was a standout. Was constantly creating scoring chances, but was also kind of alone. We feel he would take a great leap in effectiveness if he were put with other top players. Tied for the team lead in scoring with a 5-3-8 scoring line in six games played.

Oscar Nord, F (Sweden Selects) 6-2/172—Big Swede has a strong shot and a lot of skill. Played on a line with Timashov and did a good job drawing defenders to him before distributing the puck. Had an excellent weekend and finished tied for second in scoring with a 3-12-15 scoring line.

Last edited:

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Just a little "tit-bit" regarding the 2013 Import Draft:

The Everett Silvertips today announced that in order to use the tenth overall pick in the 2013 CHL Import Draft, the club has been forced to release 1994-born forward Stathis Soumelidis. Canadian Hockey League teams are allowed only two import spots on their 50-player protected lists, and the move allows Everett to make room for a first-round selection in the July 3 Import Draft.

“Holding the tenth pick in the European draft, we know we’ve got a great chance to bring a top-flight player into our organization,†said General Manager Garry Davidson. “The opportunity is just too good for our hockey team to pass up right now."

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Just wanted to add Mads Eller to your list. He is going to play CHL next season. He is Lars Eller's younger brother. Not nearly as talented, but might be drafted this summer anyway. Born 95.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBwH82YRJQ

Some footage of the Under 17 between Sweden and Russia
Some notable Father -Son bloodlines, as the offspring of NHL former stars Pierre Turgeon, Al MacInnis, Micheal Nylander, Andrei Nikolishin, Glenn Wesley, Donald Audette take to the ice.
Blimey I feel old now..i remember seeing Andrei Nikolishin at the Worlds before he played in the NHL!
Some possible faces for the upcoming import draft...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
As Vandalay says Mads Eller is prolly coming over, but he is eligable in 13.
And not even close to the talent level of Lars.

But the most interesting dane for the 14 draft is Nikolaj Ehlers, which most have pegged in the first round.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1383893&highlight=nikolaj+ehlers

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=870088&highlight=nikolaj+ehlers

He has amazing talent for his age, and absolutely dominated the Swiss Jr. League on par with what Baertschi did when he played Jr there.

He was the youngest player by far in the top 10 scoring.
He played 11 NLA games as a 16/17 year old and scored a goal in his 2 game.
I think he is one of the youngest players to play NLA and score.

His projection as 27 will IMO definitely rise when NA sees more of him.

I am not sure he will come to the CHL as he has already signed an NLA deal with his Swiss team Biel, and he is almost guaranteed a lot of TOI. So it would be a step down for him to play in the CHL.

But the scouting coverage would be so much bigger.

His first goal in the NLA:

If he were to go to the CHL I am certain he would tare it up!

I dunno if any teams could convince him, but it might be worth a chance. I know most Jr. Teams in Sweden tried to get his attention with little luck.

He will be playing for Denmark in the U18WJC next year as he was a big part in the Danish promotion this year.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
As Vandalay says Mads Eller is prolly coming over, but he is eligable in 13.
And not even close to the talent level of Lars.

But the most interesting dane for the 14 draft is Nikolaj Ehlers, which most have pegged in the first round.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1383893&highlight=nikolaj+ehlers

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=870088&highlight=nikolaj+ehlers

He has amazing talent for his age, and absolutely dominated the Swiss Jr. League on par with what Baertschi did when he played Jr there.

He was the youngest player by far in the top 10 scoring.
He played 11 NLA games as a 16/17 year old and scored a goal in his 2 game.
I think he is one of the youngest players to play NLA and score.

His projection as 27 will IMO definitely rise when NA sees more of him.

I am not sure he will come to the CHL as he has already signed an NLA deal with his Swiss team Biel, and he is almost guaranteed a lot of TOI. So it would be a step down for him to play in the CHL.

But the scouting coverage would be so much bigger.

His first goal in the NLA:

If he were to go to the CHL I am certain he would tare it up!

I dunno if any teams could convince him, but it might be worth a chance. I know most Jr. Teams in Sweden tried to get his attention with little luck.

He will be playing for Denmark in the U18WJC next year as he was a big part in the Danish promotion this year.

Nicolaj Ehlers shares the same dilemma as our Rihards Bukarts,he might get called up this season to Dinamo Riga,but if he goes to CHL he will get better recognition by scouts.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nicolaj Ehlers shares the same dilemma as our Rihards Bukarts,he might get called up this season to Dinamo Riga,but if he goes to CHL he will get better recognition by scouts.

Exactly, not the first similarity between the two..

Very exciting prospects indeed.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Exactly, not the first similarity between the two..

Very exciting prospects indeed.

Both not are not the biggest players Bukarts is 180 cm :laugh:
Both very fast players
Both really technical and indvidually really talented
The same draft year
The same dilemma
Yup :laugh:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Both not are not the biggest players Bukarts is 180 cm :laugh:
Both very fast players
Both really technical and indvidually really talented
The same draft year
The same dilemma
Yup :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

Well, let's hope they both make the right decisions, whatever the right ones are :D

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Why he did not go over, as 7th overall pick ??? I remember, it was a bit surprise for many people, that he was so high in 2012 CHL import draft. Personally it was first time what I had hear his name...
He came over but was cut during training camp.
It was just a poor pick and very reflective of what the problem has been with the Screaming Eagles lately.

And what do you think ? about this guy : Pavel Zacha
Without seeing any of the Russian 97's, I think he and Erik Cernak (SVK) are two of the top candidates for the 2014 Import Draft.
Both were notably good at the U18's as double underagers.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump. I believe the draft goes in just under a month, on July 3rd.

I've heard some rumblings about a few German kids who might draw some interest later in the draft. Anyone have names of some?

KevinBXA

Professional Caveman
Nov 4, 2010
The Roxy
Any idea who Vancouver will take at #1?

I'm intrigued by Tretiak, is he a player or just a product of his last name?

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Any idea who Vancouver will take at #1?

I'm intrigued by Tretiak, is he a player or just a product of his last name?

Dont know if you saw an earlier post:
http://www.ushr.com/news/20120401

Maksim Tretiak, G (CSKA) 6-2/198— Is the grandson of possibly the greatest goaltender of all time, Vladislav Tretiak, now the President of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Maksim wears #20, just like his grandfather once did. A massive kid, Tretiak could be the best ’96 we have seen at his position in the ’96 age group (his competition for the top spot would be Liam Herbst of the Mississauga Rebels). Tretiak, who led Russia to a silver medal at the 2012 Youth Olympics, is a flawless goalie in terms of technique. Add in his size and you have a goalie who is incredibly hard to beat. If there was one player here we feel will become a first round NHL draft pick it would have to be Tretiak. Led his team to a championship over the weekend in Maine, giving up only three goals total in the semifinals and finals against two very good teams in Ak Bars and the Sweden Selects. Tretiak is a franchise goalie in the making and is a name we will all be hearing again the future, as we once did in the past.

Personally, I think it would be a blow for the Russian Hockey hierachy if they lost the grandson of, the guy, who is still the Russian face of the game...
That said, his Grand Pa is a very smart, intelligent man, who often said he regretted that he himself, never played in the NHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->