2013/2014 Minnesota Wild News and Notes - New Division and New Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not worried in the least about Pominville. They'll anounce a new deal within a week or so, IMO.

Billy Mays Here*

Fletcher said he wants to see Pominville play at least a few games to see that he's alright so I'd be surprised if the extension is done within the next week or two. They've probably got the thing done already but Fletcher is just waiting before he asks Pommers to sign it.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Wild notes: Kings' Brown knows he might face the music(With more than these quotes at the link)
“I would imagine the fans won’t be happy with me,” Brown said at August’s U.S. Olympic camp. “It wasn’t pretty, but it wasn’t one of those where I was trying to do anything. I had the puck and it was just instinct.”

Brown, who played with Pominville before at the world championships, saw him after the game and apologized. He was suspended for the Kings’ final two regular-season games.

“I’m sure it’s not what he meant to do,” Pominville said. “Facing him again, I’m just going to play my game. It’s our first game. You don’t want to worry about those things. I’m sure he’s not going to take another run at me in that way.

“Hopefully we don’t have to see anything like that from him again.”
'OK' just isn't enough for Parise and Wild (With more at the link)
“In my mind, I know I can play a lot better,” Parise, 29, said. “For me, that’s encouraging because I know I can be a lot better. I’m not going to say I was terrible, but it wasn’t my best. For me, I thought it was just average.”

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
"I hope that goes on for the next decade" Trotz about fans booing Ryan Suter if I was suter I would use boos as motivation.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
6x$5m or 5x$6m.

Neither of which would hurt our chances of keeping the youngsters.
Yep. I don't think he would turn down a 6-year at $5/year contract. I agree with him that under $5 million/year sounds like a low-ball for a 1st line RW.

I know it's a concern that guys like Brodin and Coyle are going to be getting 5 million/year 2nd contracts, but the Cap goes both ways. If there is less cap room, RFA's make less.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I actually think Brodin etc. are going to sign a bridge contract, like Subban, Stepan, Kadri etc.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yep. I don't think he would turn down a 6-year at $5/year contract. I agree with him that under $5 million/year sounds like a low-ball for a 1st line RW.

I know it's a concern that guys like Brodin and Coyle are going to be getting 5 million/year 2nd contracts, but the Cap goes both ways. If there is less cap room, RFA's make less.

Assuming the cap goes up to $70m, which I believe is fairly likely, we can easily give Pominville $5.5; Brodin, Coyle, Granlund and Nino $4.5m each (not that they all would, Brodin could be a bit higher, Granlund and Nino lower). Plus we'd still have ~ $4m to find a 2nd pairing defenseman if necessary. We'd have ~ $9m to put together 2/3 of the 3rd line and the 4th line.

This also assumes that we do not make a play for Vanek.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Not really, when Stoner is on his game he's actually not a bad defender to have out there for 10-15 mins a game, but when hes not(which is more often than he is) id rather Yeo double someones minutes than have him see a shift.

LA is a big team that likes to beat you on the wall battles and score off those battles, Stoner can probably do a better job at separating players from the puck in these battles, and letting fowards come in and take it out or let ballard worry about getting the puck on a fowards stick.

i expect yeo to keep dumba all year and play stoner/dumba in different games when everyone's healthy.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd rather have Dumba playing in Red Deer 20 mins /night than him sitting in press box for a good part of the season.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
me too, i guess i should have been more specific, i expect dumba to get 65+ games with some PP time and a little PK time, and stoner would be the 7th dman most of the the time.

65-70 games of nhl with a little special teams, or 4th year of junior 20+mins a night with a possible WJC tourny? kinda tough, but i wouldn't want dumba up if hes playing less than 60 games.

I was just implying i can understand yeo's decision to roll with stoner if he does against the kings in the 1st game of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad