Injury Report: 2013-2014 Injury Update Thread III [MOD Warning post 218]

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Keeping the Wild guessing. Wish I knew for sure now though. Kind of a mean move to say "Will be decided after morning skate" and then say "Game time decision"

They said they'd update his status, not if he would play. Saying he's a game time decision pretty much tells me he will play.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
They couldn't care less about the hopes of fans seeing Duchene...

They won't announce it either way so the WILD cant game plan for him being in the lineup or not.
I'm sure the Wild are aware it's very possible Duchene is in the lineup. Roy not announcing it until the last second is unlikely to change much.

CrimsonPuma*

I'm sure the Wild are aware it's very possible Duchene is in the lineup. Roy not announcing it until the last second is unlikely to change much.

Roy is forcing them to game plan for 2 possibilities instead of 1...

I'm sure the Avs know if he is in tonight or not. But there is no point in giving the Wild extra time to prepare for him either in the lineup or not.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy would never admit it, but getting Duchene get rid of the worst rust and be more ready for a possible game seven might be one reason for wanting him to play tonight.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Roy is forcing them to game plan for 2 possibilities instead of 1...

I'm sure the Avs know if he is in tonight or not. But there is no point in giving the Wild extra time to prepare for him either in the lineup or not.

I'm sure they are just planning for Duchene to play. They already knew what to do with him out.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Assuming Duchene is back tonight, who do you sit? Hishon?

It will be either him or Malone. I'm going to guess Hishon since the whole point of playing him was to basically take the spot Duchene had on the PP. Although Roy doesn't seem to like using Talbot as a center, so Maybe Hishon does stay in the line-up.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
McGinn-Hishon-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

Is what I hope to see. That third line could actually score a goal.

CrimsonPuma*

McGinn-Hishon-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

I would like to see this too, but it may be a bit soft....

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
McGinn-Hishon-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

Considering we are going to spend at least 75% of the game in our own zone, I'd have serious concerns with essentially two, defensively responsible lines (Staz line and Cliche line, kind of). Hishon and Ginner aren't strong enough defensively, McLeod is at barely 50%, and Bordy the Corsi king is still a big risk.

You take out Hishon, slot in Malone, roll with Cliche/Malone as the 3rd and 4th line Cs, and have two defensively responsible checking lines.

We're going to get worked hard tonight. This isn't a game for Hishon.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Considering we are going to spend at least 75% of the game in our own zone, I'd have serious concerns with essentially two, defensively responsible lines (Staz line and Cliche line, kind of). Hishon and Ginner aren't strong enough defensively, McLeod is at barely 50%, and Bordy the Corsi king is still a big risk.

You take out Hishon, slot in Malone, roll with Cliche/Malone as the 3rd and 4th line Cs, and have two defensively responsible checking lines.

We're going to get worked hard tonight. This isn't a game for Hishon.
I get what you are saying but my problem is that if Malone is in, it means Cliche is on that third line, which makes that line completely useless. Avs are a team built on skill who have been getting hemmed in regardless of who is on the ice. I'd rather see the more skilled lineup and try to beat the Wild by scoring rather than by being more responsible in the defensive zone.

Not that Hishon is the difference between that third line scoring and not, but he at least has some puck skills. Cliche doesn't hit, shoot, pass, takeaway pucks. He is pretty much good for penalty killing and smart defensive zone play. He belongs on the 4th line, and I'm not sure Malone is much of an upgrade on that 3rd line.

I do wish the Avs could have Malone's physicality and Hishon's skill in the lineup, but that obviously won't happen as Cliche is too responsible and has made some big defensive zone plays.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Marc Moser ‏@RadioMoser 11m

Coach Roy says Matt Duchene will take pregame skate tonight, if he's good to go, he'll play , if not he won't.

So as long as he looks good skating around in circles for 15 minutes, he will be a go.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I get what you are saying but my problem is that if Malone is in, it means Cliche is on that third line, which makes that line completely useless. Avs are a team built on skill who have been getting hemmed in regardless of who is on the ice. I'd rather see the more skilled lineup and try to beat the Wild by scoring rather than by being more responsible in the defensive zone.

Not that Hishon is the difference between that third line scoring and not, but he at least has some puck skills. Cliche doesn't hit, shoot, pass, takeaway pucks. He is pretty much good for penalty killing and smart defensive zone play. He belongs on the 4th line, and I'm not sure Malone is much of an upgrade on that 3rd line.

I do wish the Avs could have Malone's physicality and Hishon's skill in the lineup, but that obviously won't happen as Cliche is too responsible and has made some big defensive zone plays.

This is not how you win playoff games on the road. Just my $0.02, but I respect the risky, daredevil mentality. :D

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
This is not how you win playoff games on the road. Just my $0.02, but I respect the risky, daredevil mentality. :D

I agree to an extent as I'd much rather be a team like San Jose or L.A where the bottom 6 can physically intimidate opponents and wear them down, but with the way the Avs are built it is either a little extra muscle on the fourth line and an anemic third line, or a little less size and more skill. It's too bad Malone didn't have Cliche's defensive game yet, which would mean Cliche could be the scratch.

Either way, as long as Duchene is back tonight I think the rest will take care of itself.:thumbu:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
People--

Please keep this thread's discussion limited to that of injuries, all Series discussion needs to go into the appropriate thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad