2013-2014 EHL Season

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The newly formed EHL is making some noise on the east coast. The league is getting a lot of college attention. Currently only have 1 D1 commit so far. Anyone familiar with the league care to comment? Teams to best? Players to watch?

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Step down from the AJ last year. Most of the stronger players are playing in the USPHL. Wouldn't say it's getting a lot of college attention.

For comparisons sake, USPHL Elite is probably a small step down from the EHL.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Disagree. There are currently 6 D1 commits already this year. Only 2 last year. hockeyjournal.com stated they think the top teams in the EHL could compete with any team in the USPHL. I believe the NH Monarchs, Northern Cyclones, Connecticut Oilers could beat any team in junior hockey (minus USHL). Top to bottom theres no doubt the USPHL is stronger. If the EHL got rid of the bottom tier teams, they could very well compete with the USPHL. As for your statement that the USPHL Elite division is a small step below could be argued by saying the top teams could beat maybe the bottom 3-4 EHL teams, but not much more than that.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Disagree. There are currently 6 D1 commits already this year. Only 2 last year. hockeyjournal.com stated they think the top teams in the EHL could compete with any team in the USPHL. I believe the NH Monarchs, Northern Cyclones, Connecticut Oilers could beat any team in junior hockey (minus USHL). Top to bottom theres no doubt the USPHL is stronger. If the EHL got rid of the bottom tier teams, they could very well compete with the USPHL. As for your statement that the USPHL Elite division is a small step below could be argued by saying the top teams could beat maybe the bottom 3-4 EHL teams, but not much more than that.

There are multiple teams in the USPHL that have more D1 commits than all 18 teams in the EHL combined, and I'd be willing to bet by the end of the year there won't be any teams in the EHL with more commits than a USPHL team.

Would they win a game or two here and there and be "competitive"? Sure, but they would probably not be able to keep their heads above water in the USPHL. There are no throw away games unlike the EHL to really pad the win column. Look at the dominance of IHC and the Hitmen vs the EJ in recent years compared to this year in the USPHL.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
The CT Oilers have a defenseman McKay Flanagan that will be a DI caliber blue liner. He was drafted by Cedar Rapids of the USHL in the Futures draft. He was in our camp and you could see the skill. I would expect him here either next year or the year after for sure. He is already 6'2 205 as a '97

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
There are multiple teams in the USPHL that have more D1 commits than all 18 teams in the EHL combined, and I'd be willing to bet by the end of the year there won't be any teams in the EHL with more commits than a USPHL team.

Would they win a game or two here and there and be "competitive"? Sure, but they would probably not be able to keep their heads above water in the USPHL. There are no throw away games unlike the EHL to really pad the win column. Look at the dominance of IHC and the Hitmen vs the EJ in recent years compared to this year in the USPHL.

Ive seen what the USPHL has to offer and I am sticking to my statement that those 3 EHL teams could beat anyone in the USPHL. And if those 3 teams were in the USPHL they would rank 3, 5, 6 in the standings. Hitmen, Jr Bruins, Monarchs, Kings, Cyclones, Oilers, Flyers, IHC, the rest. You are the first person Ive heard of talk so highly of the USPHL. All the scouts Ive talked to say its not one bit different than the EJ.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I keep hearing about all these scouts but yet I'm yet to see a quote from someone more than "a scout." Actual names would give them some validity.

http://usphl.com/college-commitments

http://easternhockeyleague.pointstr...ague/ncaa-commitments-3/2014-ncaa-commitments

Just look at the sheer amount of players committed from the premier league compared to the EHL. Take into account the EHL is also listing players there that are NOT playing in that league this year. Players like Bernard, Badger, Bracco and I'm sure there's more I'm missing. From a quick glance, only 1 player playing in the EHL right now is committed to play division 1 college hockey next year. Yet you think these teams would easily place at the top of the USPHL?

Clearly NCAA coaches and scouts don't agree that the leagues are on equal levels if the number of commits are so lopsided. The USPHL U18 league has 8 division 1 commits... Does the EHL as a junior league have that many?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Any team can beat any team this season in the USPHL. That was untrue last season. The last place Pirates have beaten the Flyers, Bruins and Hitmen. No way that was happening last season. In my personal opinion, the league is not quite USHL but is better than the NAHL. In a few years it will be even. USPHL and USHL will be playing a memorial cup-style tournament next year too.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Yale Recruit and member of the NJ Rockets, Nolan Aibel is heading to finish the season with the Tri City Storm of the USHL per Russ Bitely

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY
This league while definitely being below the USPHL seems to be a step above where the AJ was at last year an is honestly not that far off from its eastern brother. look for more players to be coming out of this league and going to more d1 schools than what the AJ had to offer, i.e. cam spicer, tyler drevitch, etc.

Dec 13, 2010
Any team can beat any team this season in the USPHL. That was untrue last season. The last place Pirates have beaten the Flyers, Bruins and Hitmen. No way that was happening last season. In my personal opinion, the league is not quite USHL but is better than the NAHL. In a few years it will be even. USPHL and USHL will be playing a memorial cup-style tournament next year too.

Is that confirmed about the USPHL and USHL playing a tournament next year?

I don't know that I'd go ahead and say USPHL's Premier league is better than the NAHL but I'd put them on the same level. The EHL is a nice league with a few very good players in it, but it's definitely not on the same level as USPHL if you start watching all the teams.

Since this IS an EHL thread, I'd be curious to hear the opinions on Will Campion from other people in the know. Every game I've seen him play I've been super impressed by him and he looks like he's filling in nicely.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think Campion is a great player. Leads the Bobcats in scoring as a dman. Good size and offensive ability, also plays defense well. Hes a mean player too. Only downfall on him is he takes way too many bad penalties at bad times. He will end up being a good d1 player.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Was looking at some stats in the EHL...

The Philadelphia Revolution (11-18-1) are in 4th in their division this season in the EHL. Last year, they might have had 10 wins. They've retained about half of their players from last season and a couple are their leading scorers. Riley Egan, who had only 16 pts last season for Revolution, already has 31 pts in 30 games. James Wallace had 6 pts in 44 games last year, this season he has 19 pts in 30 games. Have these players gotten better from last season? Of course, but it's clear the talent of play in the EHL is less than the EJHL was last season.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Was looking at some stats in the EHL...

The Philadelphia Revolution (11-18-1) are in 4th in their division this season in the EHL. Last year, they might have had 10 wins. They've retained about half of their players from last season and a couple are their leading scorers. Riley Egan, who had only 16 pts last season for Revolution, already has 31 pts in 30 games. James Wallace had 6 pts in 44 games last year, this season he has 19 pts in 30 games. Have these players gotten better from last season? Of course, but it's clear the talent of play in the EHL is less than the EJHL was last season.

Very few people would disagree with you on that point, and that's the point I was trying to make earlier. This league is pretty much the AJ plus most of the weaker EJ teams from last year, so I really don't see how one could argue this can compare to the USPHL. This is evidenced by the commitments from each league. Not to mention plenty of top AJ players jumped ship to the USPHL.

I would be interested to see stats of some players that moved from the AJ to the Premier league and how they compare year to year if anyone can find them.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I would be interested to see stats of some players that moved from the AJ to the Premier league and how they compare year to year if anyone can find them.

Mike Laffin '95 (11-12 Jr. Wolfpack 0 pts in 4 gms) Currently: 31 pts in 25 gms w/ NJH
Trevor Gooch '94 (11-13 Little Flyers 66 pts in 67 gms) Currently: 28 pts in 23 gms w/ FE
Brian Bowen '95 (12-13 Cylcones 56 pts in 38 gms) Currently: 26 pts in 26 gms w/ BJB
Patrick Schule '94 (11-13 Bobcats 86 pts in 67 gms) Currently: 20 pts in 23 gms w/ NJH
Chris Makowski '95 (12-13 Bobcats 2 pts in 4 gms) Currently: 19 pts in 25 gms w/ PAL
Matt Volonnino '94 (10-13 Rockets 54 pts in 67 gms) Currently: 18 pts in 23 gms w/ NJH
Alex Paolo '93 (12-13 Knights 10 pts in 40 gms) Currently: 14 pts in 21 gms w/ PJP & SSK
Nick DiNicola '94 (10-12 Wolfpack 33 pts in 65 gms) Currently: 13 pts in 23 gms w/ CTY
Matt McMorrow '94 (11-12 Bobcats 35 pts in 29 gms) Currently: 11 pts in 25 gms w/ FE
Jimmy Mazza '94 (10-12 Bobcats 22 pts in 54 gms) Currently: 11 pts in 25 gms w/ PAL
Braeden Quast '93 (12-13 Express 5 pts in 34 gms) Currently: 9 pts in 22 gms w/ CTY
Gianni Paolo '96 (12-13 Knights 16 pts in 43 gms) Currently: 9 pts in 22 gms w/ PJP & SSK
Christopher Wallace '94 (11-13 Bobcats 85 pts in 70 gms) Currently: 8 pts in 16 gms w/ NJH & PAL
John Schiavo '94 (12-13 Bobcats 31 pts in 38 gms) Currently: 8 pts in 19 gms w/ PAL

Samuel Bernard '94 (12-13 Rangers 2.2 GAA, .936 in 23 gms) Currently: 3.1 GAA, .918 in 9 gms w/ PAL
David Lynch '93 (10-13 Bobcats 2.12 GAA, .926 in 51 gms) Currently: 7.31 GAA, .857 in 4 gms w/ PAL

Most of the players that came over from the AJ couldn't put up nearly the same numbers in the USPHL.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Mike Laffin '95 (11-12 Jr. Wolfpack 0 pts in 4 gms) Currently: 31 pts in 25 gms w/ NJH
Trevor Gooch '94 (11-13 Little Flyers 66 pts in 67 gms) Currently: 28 pts in 23 gms w/ FE
Brian Bowen '95 (12-13 Cylcones 56 pts in 38 gms) Currently: 26 pts in 26 gms w/ BJB
Patrick Schule '94 (11-13 Bobcats 86 pts in 67 gms) Currently: 20 pts in 23 gms w/ NJH
Chris Makowski '95 (12-13 Bobcats 2 pts in 4 gms) Currently: 19 pts in 25 gms w/ PAL
Matt Volonnino '94 (10-13 Rockets 54 pts in 67 gms) Currently: 18 pts in 23 gms w/ NJH
Alex Paolo '93 (12-13 Knights 10 pts in 40 gms) Currently: 14 pts in 21 gms w/ PJP & SSK
Nick DiNicola '94 (10-12 Wolfpack 33 pts in 65 gms) Currently: 13 pts in 23 gms w/ CTY
Matt McMorrow '94 (11-12 Bobcats 35 pts in 29 gms) Currently: 11 pts in 25 gms w/ FE
Jimmy Mazza '94 (10-12 Bobcats 22 pts in 54 gms) Currently: 11 pts in 25 gms w/ PAL
Braeden Quast '93 (12-13 Express 5 pts in 34 gms) Currently: 9 pts in 22 gms w/ CTY
Gianni Paolo '96 (12-13 Knights 16 pts in 43 gms) Currently: 9 pts in 22 gms w/ PJP & SSK
Christopher Wallace '94 (11-13 Bobcats 85 pts in 70 gms) Currently: 8 pts in 16 gms w/ NJH & PAL
John Schiavo '94 (12-13 Bobcats 31 pts in 38 gms) Currently: 8 pts in 19 gms w/ PAL

Samuel Bernard '94 (12-13 Rangers 2.2 GAA, .936 in 23 gms) Currently: 3.1 GAA, .918 in 9 gms w/ PAL
David Lynch '93 (10-13 Bobcats 2.12 GAA, .926 in 51 gms) Currently: 7.31 GAA, .857 in 4 gms w/ PAL

Most of the players that came over from the AJ couldn't put up nearly the same numbers in the USPHL.

This doesn't make any sense. What your saying is 5 out of the 13 skaters (not including goalies) are scoring more in the USPHL than they were in the AJHL. 4/13 are producing at around the same clip, and the other 4 aren't producing as much as they were in the AJ. So 9 of those 13 players are producing at the same or better in the USPHL than in the AJHL, what are you proving? The EHL is overlooked by the USPHL, and its not as far off as some of you think. Sure the Washington Nats won't beat any team in the USPHL, but your delusional if you don't think the Monarchs (who beat Islanders Hockey Club AND South Shore Kings. Not to mention wanted to play the Junior Bruins, but the Jr Bruins declined) the Cyclones, Oilers, Bandits, Little Flyers could play in the USPHL and hold their own.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Sure the Washington Nats won't beat any team in the USPHL, but your delusional if you don't think the Monarchs (who beat Islanders Hockey Club AND South Shore Kings. Not to mention wanted to play the Junior Bruins, but the Jr Bruins declined) the Cyclones, Oilers, Bandits, Little Flyers could play in the USPHL and hold their own.

Completely agree.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
This doesn't make any sense. What your saying is 5 out of the 13 skaters (not including goalies) are scoring more in the USPHL than they were in the AJHL. 4/13 are producing at around the same clip, and the other 4 aren't producing as much as they were in the AJ. So 9 of those 13 players are producing at the same or better in the USPHL than in the AJHL, what are you proving? The EHL is overlooked by the USPHL, and its not as far off as some of you think. Sure the Washington Nats won't beat any team in the USPHL, but your delusional if you don't think the Monarchs (who beat Islanders Hockey Club AND South Shore Kings. Not to mention wanted to play the Junior Bruins, but the Jr Bruins declined) the Cyclones, Oilers, Bandits, Little Flyers could play in the USPHL and hold their own.

Some of those stats can be misleading because there are multiple years included in the AJ stats. Player's rookie seasons in the AJ could be bringing down their PPG average so it looks like they're scoring at the same clip when in reality they're not.

When did the monarchs beat SSK and IHC? Do we have a roster sheet?

dangler71

Jul 11, 2007
Potsdam, NY
Some of those stats can be misleading because there are multiple years included in the AJ stats. Player's rookie seasons in the AJ could be bringing down their PPG average so it looks like they're scoring at the same clip when in reality they're not.

When did the monarchs beat SSK and IHC? Do we have a roster sheet?

I spoke with an islanders player about the game and know for a fact all their top players were dressed for the game against the monarchs, not sure about the kings game though

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
(1) New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs vs. (4) Northern Cyclones in the championship. First game is Friday and last game of best-of-five could potentially be next Thursday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->