2013 & 2014 draft classes

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm not following the logic of Hirose being a 2nd round pick.

So now I've already seen him being compared to a Nyquist replacement and a 2nd round pick...sure those things COULD happen, but it's probably equally likely that he finished his career with 0 NHL points.
Your predictions didn't last long ,sorry

Reactions: Gniwred

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
it doesn't mean nothing but it doesn't really mean much either

excluding Eichel for obvious reasons here's the last 10 undrafted guys to lead the NCAA in scoring:

2016-17: Zach Aston-Reese(played 59 NHL games with 23 points so far,currently active)
2012-13: Rylan Schwartz(never ended up playing even a single game in the NHL,currently playing in Germany)
2011-12: Spencer Abbott(played 1 game in the NHL,currently playing in Sweden)
2010-11: Andy Miele(played a grand total of 15 games in the NHL where he put up 2 points,currently playing in Russia)
2008-09: Bryan Leitch(never ended up playing even a single game in the NHL,currently retired)
2004-2005: Marty Sertich(never ended up playing even a single game in the NHL,currently retired)
2003-2004: Junior Lessard (played a grand total of 27 games in the NHL where he put up 4 points,currently retired)
2002-2003: Peter Sejna(played a grand total of 48 games in the NHL where he put up 10 points,currently retired)
2000-2001: Jeff Panzer(never ended up playing even a single game in the NHL,currently retired)
1999-2000: Steven Reinprecht(played a grand total of 663 games in the NHL where he put up 382 points,currently retired)

it's a pretty unimpressive list to put it mildly with a combined 421 points in 813 games between the 10 of them,around 80% of which was from Reinprecht alone

half of them either literally never played a single NHL game at all or only played one game,all the rest aside from Reinprecht only played around a quarter to half a season,only aston-reese is currently still active out of the 10

He might be the next guy. I have a feeling though if Kenny took a pass on a kid in his own backyard and the kid turned into a useful top 9 player, this isn't the list that would be generated on his behalf. He is a free asset with offensive skill and just one contract out of 50.

I am not sure he will translate, but I am not sure why we are going out of our way to hate these signings. They are what a rebuilding team should be doing, they have expiring contracts after next season if they don't transition to pro hockey in NA the way we hope then they can go the way of Spencer Abbott.

Keep in mind on Hirose he has the worst linemates of virtually anyone accomplishing that feat. It is kind of like the people that talk up Krebs being able to do what he is doing with nothing around him as a selling point. He isn't playing on a stacked Wisconsin, Northeastern or Miami of Ohio team with multiple Hobey Baker nominees. So there is some context to some of the guys you're listing there.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Hirose would have been signed by Yzerman, the guy would be overhyped as the next Jesus.

I am not sure he will translate, but I am not sure why we are going out of our way to hate these signings. They are what a rebuilding team should be doing, they have expiring contracts after next season.

Exactly.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He might be the next guy. I have a feeling though if Kenny took a pass on a kid in his own backyard and the kid turned into a useful top 9 player, this isn't the list that would be generated on his behalf. He is a free asset with offensive skill and just one contract out of 50.

I am not sure he will translate, but I am not sure why we are going out of our way to hate these signings. They are what a rebuilding team should be doing, they have expiring contracts after next season if they don't transition to pro hockey in NA the way we hope then they can go the way of Spencer Abbott.

Keep in mind on Hirose he has the worst linemates of virtually anyone accomplishing that feat. It is kind of like the people that talk up Krebs being able to do what he is doing with nothing around him as a selling point. He isn't playing on a stacked Wisconsin, Northeastern or Miami of Ohio team with multiple Hobey Baker nominees. So there is some context to some of the guys you're listing there.

I don't think anyone actually hates the signings some of us are just pumping the brakes on the whole scoring lead thing a tad,it's definitely a bit silly to be calling him a 2nd rounder

I personally like the Hirose signing(and am just super indifferent towards the Kuffner one) but it's just not anything to get TOO excited over,even hitting on Hirose probably means a middle 6 guy as a realistic best case scenario

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Have to pump this up.

Oliwer Kaski belongs to that 2013 class (as a late-bloomer). He is 2 days younger than Alexander Barkov.

So our 2013 "draft" is now:

-----
1st, 20.overall, W Anthony Mantha
2nd, 34.overall, F Jacob De La Rose (MTL)
2nd, 48.overall, F Zach Nastasiuk
2nd, 53.overall, RD Madison Bowey (WSH)
2nd, 58.overall, W Tyler Bertuzzi (extra SJS pick)

3rd, 79.overall, F Mattias Janmark
4th, 109.overall, W David Pope
Extra pick, RD Oliwer Kaski
5th, 139.overall, LD Mitch Wheaton
6th, 169.overall, RD Marc McNulty
7th, 199.overall, W Hampus Melen

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Your predictions didn't last long ,sorry
I didn't see this reply before, but I still stand my my comment.

There was probably a 5% chance he finished his career with 0 points. There's an equal 5% chance he ends up as good as Nyquist or what people value as a "typical 2nd round pick"

The most likely thing is he winds up somewhere in that massive area in between. Or really, my actual point, people expecting him to be as good as Nyquist are setting way too high of expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad