2013-2014 Cap Effect

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Looking to 2013-2014 being at 64.3M Cap, who do you see as critical to either sign, re-sign, or let go? Semin, Corvo and Larose come up as UFA next year, with Cap payroll already at close to $51M. Dalpe, Nash, Sanguinetti, Boychuk, Jordan, Samson, Krueger are the youngster who will have RFA status.

Do we keep any of these guys? Or do we look to the open market as other teams will also likely be in the same situation? Do we make any compliance buyouts at all? I really don't see any clear buy-out candidates?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Eric Staal: 8.25
Jordan Staal: 6.0
Jeff Skinner: 5.725
Tuomo Ruutu: 4.75
Jussi Jokinen: 3.0
Jiri Tlusty: 1.6
Pat Dwyer: .9
Jeremy Welsh: .85
Drayson Bowman: .6

Joni Pitkanen: 4.5
Tim Gleason: 4.0
Jamie McBain: 1.8
Jay Harrison: 1.5
Ryan Murphy: ~1.344
Justin Faulk: .90

Cam Ward: 6.3
Justin Peters: .5375

roster spots: 3 to 6
cap hit: 52,556,667
cap room: 11,743,333

key UFAs:
Alexander Semin (7.0)
Chad LaRose (1.7)
Joe Corvo (2.0)
Tim Brent (.75)

frankly looking at this, we're in great shape. More then enough cap space to retain LaRose and Semin while bringing up 2-3 players/prospects on the cheap to take the other open roster spots. An easily cap compliant lineup for next season could look like this, without any major changes to the roster:

Skinner - E. Staal - Semin
Jokinen - J. Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Welsh - LaRose
Blanchard - Nash - Dwyer
Bowman, Boychuk

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - McBain
Harrison - Murphy
Sanguinetti/Krueger/Levi

Ward
Peters

Reactions: MinJaBen

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
We've got enough cap room to keep them but have we got real dollars to do it?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Depends on how the fans respond. We had our best season ticket sales yet before the season was on the verge of getting nuked due to the lockout. There are reports that most people kept their tickets but just how many of those that did are scalpers that picked up the expanded cheap seat zone remains to be seen.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ranger fan here , come in peace..........some Ranger fans will think I am nuts but looking ahead to next season the Rangers should be able to keep Gaborik in the lineup but may have to make some moves. They could likely go minor but can't help but think of the Staal connection in Carolina

Would Cane fans do M.Staal for Faulk(key for Rangers is he's not an RFA for a few yrs) , 1st round and a solid prospect. Similar deal to the Jordan Staal deal.
thoughts?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think most of us would balk at that to be honest. Would love to have Staal here, but not at the cost of Faulk.

That said given the price we paid for J Staal I'm not sure something like that wouldn't happen.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
FWIW: cap list for 2013-14

http://www.capgeek.com/payrolls/?charts_year=2013

some very interesting impending FAs that could alter the cap hits, both UFA and RFA:
Montreal - Subban (current RFA), Desharnais (RFA)
Boston - Horton (UFA), Rask (RFA)
Vancouver - Edler (RFA)
Rangers - Stepan (RFA), Hagelin (RFA), McDonagh (RFA)
Minnesota - Backstrom (UFA)
Carolina - Semin (UFA)
Los Angeles - Voynov (RFA)
Edmonton - Gagner (RFA), Whitney (UFA), Smid (UFA)
Calgary - Iginla (UFA), Backlund (RFA)
Detroit - Filppulla (UFA), Howard (UFA)
Washington - Neuvirth (RFA), Holtby (RFA)
Anaheim - Getzlaf (UFA), Perry (UFA)
New Jersey - Elias (UFA), Zajac (UFA), Zubrus (UFA)
St Louis - Pietrangelo (RFA), Shattenkirk (RFA)

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Ranger fan here , come in peace..........some Ranger fans will think I am nuts but looking ahead to next season the Rangers should be able to keep Gaborik in the lineup but may have to make some moves. They could likely go minor but can't help but think of the Staal connection in Carolina

Would Cane fans do M.Staal for Faulk(key for Rangers is he's not an RFA for a few yrs) , 1st round and a solid prospect. Similar deal to the Jordan Staal deal.
thoughts?

I'd trade Faulk and a 1st for Marc. I think us giving up a top prospect would be a tad too much though.

I'd have no qualms about Faulk, 1st and someone like Brock McGinn or Mark Alt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->