2013-14 WHL Predictions

arsmaster*

What does it matter that nobody outside the 1st line scored 20 goals? All those guys that didn't score 20 goals are returning this year and I'm expecting good growth offensively from many of them. That's what junior hockey is all about, seeing which young players can take that next step in their game.

I guess we'll see, but I'm more than comfortable in saying that the Tigers will have a very good offensive club this year.

Well I guess this is what happens when a side bar discussion breaks out on a season predictor board.

What the production of the other Tigers LAST year tells me is that the Shinkaruk line was the focal point of the team. Nothing I was saying was in any way meant to discount the progression expected for these players this year.

More a counter point to oil king lover saying Undrafted Valk is better than WHL and NHL 1st rounder Shinkaruk.

You jumped into the pissing match at the wrong time RS.

I expect MH to be better too and I expect a lot out of Shinakruk.

I'd say he is the early fav for WHL player of the year.

Oct 15, 2008
Sorry bawd, you miss things when you are at live games. I'm just telling you, he is not overrated. Not a chance.

Lol wut?

Right or wrong, I formed my opinion watching several live games, as well as feeds from MH. Youre telling me to check out youtube clips. And you seem to be serious about it. I cannot begin to tell you how seriously ****ed that is.

I WANT to like Shinkaruk. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. So I watched him fairly closely over the past two seasons. But honestly I am telling you, he was a non-factor more often than not. Other players stepped up and were noticeable. Not him.

On a side note, I have noticed Shinkaruk seemed to have more success in international competition from what I have seen. Probably not a coincidence, as the game is less physical than the whl/nhl style game. Unless Hunter is able to grow, get stronger, improve his balance/leverage on his skates, he will be a Gagner clone.

Trust me when I say that isnt a good thing.

Oct 15, 2008
Well I guess this is what happens when a side bar discussion breaks out on a season predictor board.

What the production of the other Tigers LAST year tells me is that the Shinkaruk line was the focal point of the team. Nothing I was saying was in any way meant to discount the progression expected for these players this year.

More a counter point to oil king lover saying Undrafted Valk is better than WHL and NHL 1st rounder Shinkaruk.

You jumped into the pissing match at the wrong time RS.

I expect MH to be better too and I expect a lot out of Shinakruk.

I'd say he is the early fav for WHL player of the year.

Yes, why listen to two guys who watch EC games regularly. Better to listen to guys from the WC who may have seen Shinkaruk live once, twice or not at all.

You silly buggers.

Do your realize how goofy that is? Do you see me or RS lecturing you guys about WC guys? I wouldnt think of it.

I may be right or wrong about Shinkaruk. Time will tell. These are my thoughts based on seeing him play multiple times over two years. Take it or leave it. I have no skin in this game. I dont care if he is a Canucks draft pick. Why would I? The team I follow has enough problems. Im not worried about what the Canucks are doing.

arsmaster*

Yes, why listen to two guys who watch EC games regularly. Better to listen to guys from the WC who may have seen Shinkaruk live once, twice or not at all.

You silly buggers.

Do your realize how goofy that is? Do you see me or RS lecturing you guys about WC guys? I wouldnt think of it.

I may be right or wrong about Shinkaruk. Time will tell. These are my thoughts based on seeing him play multiple times over two years. Take it or leave it. I have no skin in this game. I dont care if he is a Canucks draft pick. Why would I? The team I follow has enough problems. Im not worried about what the Canucks are doing.
I didn't lecture anyone. Left that up to you.

I didn't have a disagreement with RS. Clear case of a misunderstanding.

You on the other hand. I disagreed with you and especially with the way you delivered your message. But I'm willing to move on now for sake of keeping some real prediction conversation going.

Oct 15, 2008
I didn't lecture anyone. Left that up to you.

I didn't have a disagreement with RS. Clear case of a misunderstanding.

You on the other hand. I disagreed with you and especially with the way you delivered your message. But I'm willing to move on now for sake of keeping some real prediction conversation going.

How big of you.

Back to pretending we know what we are talking about then..........

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I can't comment on the whole Shinkaruk situation because I've seen him only twice here in Victoria, both times he was dominate. And seeing Shinkaruk get 40 goals won't be a problem. Especially with Curtis Valk being there. Although very skilled I must say that the games I saw he was floating a lot. Very skilled, he's a boom or bust player for me, with the Canucks Torts will definetly have him work on his defensive side of the game. If he sticks on working hard and getting better defensively he will be a great top 6 guy in the NHL in about 3-5 years no doubt about it.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If Tvrdon comes back to the Giants (which I doubt), then I can see Vancouver finsihing 6th or 7th. If he's not, they'll be in a dogfight for 8th.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
If Tvrdon comes back to the Giants (which I doubt), then I can see Vancouver finsihing 6th or 7th. If he's not, they'll be in a dogfight for 8th.

The Giants have wayy to many bottom six guys and not enough top guys. Instead of Houck, Franson and Sward. No real powerhouses up front. But Benson will change that in the future.

Suter to MacInnis

Mar 20, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
In the BC Division I think Kelowna is going to destroy the division this year and probably for a while to come. They are basically the same team as last year without McKinley and Sissons and adding the younger Merkley who looks like a player. With a team half made up of 16 and 17 year olds they won the division last year and their only real rivals, Kamloops, are losing Smith, Lipon, Ranford, Hrbas, Edmunson, Wllick, Cheveldave etc. Victoria will take second spot imo and Vancouver PG and Kamloops will battle for scraps 3-5. Kamloops and Vancouver are young and lack depth and PG is... well PG.

Also only saw Shinkaruk play a few times but I'd agree that he went a bit high in the draft. Great goal scorer but no physical or two way game at all, fairly one dimensional player who needs to learn how to use his teammates. Might end up being a Ray Whitney type at the nhl level if he pans out but not a franchise team on his back whl player imo. At least for the hat the east has opened up a bit with edmonton getting thinned out finally.

Weird to see Forsberg headed back to PG, surprised to see him back there after walking out on them.

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
Could be my rose color glasses that I sometimes sport but I think Brandon has a chance to be an under the radar type team coming into this season. Last year our offence could not get anything going but this year with a more mature Jayce Hawryluk, Quinville who had great rookie seasons, and the addition of Bugarts I think they could take a big jump this year. I think they will likely top out at 5-6 but they are defiantly going to be a team to take note of.

I can't wait to get this season going.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
In the BC Division I think Kelowna is going to destroy the division this year and probably for a while to come. They are basically the same team as last year without McKinley and Sissons and adding the younger Merkley who looks like a player. With a team half made up of 16 and 17 year olds they won the division last year and their only real rivals, Kamloops, are losing Smith, Lipon, Ranford, Hrbas, Edmunson, Wllick, Cheveldave etc. Victoria will take second spot imo and Vancouver PG and Kamloops will battle for scraps 3-5. Kamloops and Vancouver are young and lack depth and PG is... well PG.

Also only saw Shinkaruk play a few times but I'd agree that he went a bit high in the draft. Great goal scorer but no physical or two way game at all, fairly one dimensional player who needs to learn how to use his teammates. Might end up being a Ray Whitney type at the nhl level if he pans out but not a franchise team on his back whl player imo. At least for the hat the east has opened up a bit with edmonton getting thinned out finally.

Weird to see Forsberg headed back to PG, surprised to see him back there after walking out on them.

Lipon isn't going anywhere. He is not ready to play in the AHL, and sure as heck not the NHL. So he will be back, but your main point is right. Kamloops will struggle this year. They have two incredibly talented prospects coming through the pipe. I would look at the BC divison to be the class of the WHL in 3 years.

As much as it pains me to say it, Kelowna is going to be a real contender this year. They were good last year and they will be better this year.

PG's situation is alot deeper than people think. The owner was onsantly making the cheap hire. He hired Family members for some very important positions in the organization, and the marketing for the cougars ia atrociously bad. Lsst year they were on the record saying they cant lower the ticket price because it would de-value the product, which is true. But I would argue that having your building hardly 30% full is devaluing your ticket right there. It will be interesting to see if they lower the price this year. (EDIT: looks like they are lowering them, but hard to say forsure, I checked ticketmaster)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lipon isn't going anywhere. He is not ready to play in the AHL, and sure as heck not the NHL. So he will be back, but your main point is right. Kamloops will struggle this year. They have two incredibly talented prospects coming through the pipe. I would look at the BC divison to be the class of the WHL in 3 years.

As much as it pains me to say it, Kelowna is going to be a real contender this year. They were good last year and they will be better this year.

PG's situation is alot deeper than people think. The owner was onsantly making the cheap hire. He hired Family members for some very important positions in the organization, and the marketing for the cougars ia atrociously bad. Lsst year they were on the record saying they cant lower the ticket price because it would de-value the product, which is true. But I would argue that having your building hardly 30% full is devaluing your ticket right there. It will be interesting to see if they lower the price this year. (EDIT: looks like they are lowering them, but hard to say forsure, I checked ticketmaster)

I wouldnt be so confident. I guarentee he wont be in the NHL but If a NHL team drafts a 19 year old, usually they do it with the plan to put him in the AHL. But I mean, you never know... I think its a 50/50 chance he returns. Kamloops should PRAY he is returned to the WHL so then they can use him as trade bait at the deadline. They would get a good return for him. Too bad to see Kamloops lose so many great players because it was good to see them do well the past few seasons.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
It'll be weird if the Royals do finish as high as 2nd in the division, they haven't finished higher than 4th in their division to date, and with young guys like Hicketts, Soy and Reddekop, the sky is the limit for where we could be down the road.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I wouldnt be so confident. I guarentee he wont be in the NHL but If a NHL team drafts a 19 year old, usually they do it with the plan to put him in the AHL. But I mean, you never know... I think its a 50/50 chance he returns. Kamloops should PRAY he is returned to the WHL so then they can use him as trade bait at the deadline. They would get a good return for him. Too bad to see Kamloops lose so many great players because it was good to see them do well the past few seasons.

well he isn't ready, not a chance, and if they think he is, they blew the pick. He couldn't compete at the world junior level. He may prove me wrong this season, we shall see.

Blazers will be solid again in 2 -3 years. Count on it.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Wheaties have KM back behind the bench thats good for a powerplay or 2 per game.

They are a young team who played horrid defensively last year. But they will have a ton of firepower up front and if Burkharts is half as good as some say he is he should score a lot. Goaltending will be a question mark and it wouldn't shock me to see them with 16 year old Evan Robert on the roster to start the year.

PA SHOULD be the class of the east but you never know with them. Calgary and Kootenay will be tough because of the great coaching and scouting both teams do. I see that as 1-2-3 in the east.

Brandon's time will be next year. I expect we get a repeat of Memorial cup team then all offense and some defense and hopefully MUCH better goaltending this time around

w1nman

Aug 29, 2013
I'm going to caveat this right off the bat in saying Seattle will pick up a goalie. I'd bet my life-savings they grab one by the end of October. Already been twitter rumble about perhaps Mac Engel? They WILL get one though.

With that, I'll take my crack at the standings in the west:

1. Kelowna Rockets
2. Seattle Thunderbirds
3. Portland Winterhawks
4. Kamloops Blazers
5. Everett Silvertips
6. Victoria Royals
7. Spokane Chiefs
8. Vancouver Giants

9. Tri-City Americans
10. Prince George Cougars

I'd say there's 4 talent groups in this conference:

1-3 - are all pretty close. Kelowna kind of achieved a year earlier than I expected last season, but this season they should be the real deal. Seattle is going to be my pick to win the west come playoff time. They are big, they have skill, they have an electric point man, and the new hotness in Barzal. Portland will drop, but not a ton because of *insert talent acquisition joke here*.

4-5 - Loops and the 'Tips fill the 2nd grouping, getting here in different ways however. The Blazers had a good 2 years run, but were never quite talented enough to get over the hump which is always a shame. They have dropped now more than just a little and they will lose in the first round to Everett who took some lumps these last couple years but now have a pretty solid group and got their house in order (coach, GM, etc) so we might start to see the old 'Tips again.

6-9 Is really interesting, in that these teams aren't that interesting at all. I'll be honest, I have no idea why I put Victoria 6th, perhaps my mancrush on Kanzig? I don't know. Spokane and Vancouver kind of fall in the same category in that, I'd never bet against either Don to miss the playoffs (esp Hay 2 years in a row). Spokane actually has a decent defensive group and they kept a 20 year old goalie, so you'd think that means he should be good, right? So that's why I put them 7. *start rant* However their forward group is downright embarrassing. Who drafts for these guys, honestly? Maybe this is just their turn to take some lumps after a pretty decent 6 year run there, but my god their forwards are as bad of a group I can remember in this league for some time. *end rant* Vancouver should sneak into the playoffs to get a little taste before they attempt to take off next year. I put Tri at 9 as the only real player they have is Comrie and he should miss a chunk of time with WJs, plus we've seen this team before (seattle during the Pickard years), a great goalie and no team doesn't make the playoffs. These 4 could finish in any order though and I'd be surprised if any of them won more than 2 games in the playoffs.

10 - Group 4 is Prince George. They get their own group. Hooray! I did this because this will probably be the only time they'll get to feel special all season. This mess will finish last, count on it.

Rockets over Giants 4-0
Thunderbirds over Chiefs 4-1
Winterhawks over Royals 4-2
Silvertips over Blazers 4-2

Rockets over Silvertips 4-1
Thunderbirds over Winterhawks 4-3

Thunderbirds over Rockets 4-2

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I'm going to caveat this right off the bat in saying Seattle will pick up a goalie. I'd bet my life-savings they grab one by the end of October. Already been twitter rumble about perhaps Mac Engel? They WILL get one though.

With that, I'll take my crack at the standings in the west:

1. Kelowna Rockets
2. Seattle Thunderbirds
3. Portland Winterhawks
4. Kamloops Blazers
5. Everett Silvertips
6. Victoria Royals
7. Spokane Chiefs
8. Vancouver Giants

9. Tri-City Americans
10. Prince George Cougars

I'd say there's 4 talent groups in this conference:

1-3 - are all pretty close. Kelowna kind of achieved a year earlier than I expected last season, but this season they should be the real deal. Seattle is going to be my pick to win the west come playoff time. They are big, they have skill, they have an electric point man, and the new hotness in Barzal. Portland will drop, but not a ton because of *insert talent acquisition joke here*.

4-5 - Loops and the 'Tips fill the 2nd grouping, getting here in different ways however. The Blazers had a good 2 years run, but were never quite talented enough to get over the hump which is always a shame. They have dropped now more than just a little and they will lose in the first round to Everett who took some lumps these last couple years but now have a pretty solid group and got their house in order (coach, GM, etc) so we might start to see the old 'Tips again.

6-9 Is really interesting, in that these teams aren't that interesting at all. I'll be honest, I have no idea why I put Victoria 6th, perhaps my mancrush on Kanzig? I don't know. Spokane and Vancouver kind of fall in the same category in that, I'd never bet against either Don to miss the playoffs (esp Hay 2 years in a row). Spokane actually has a decent defensive group and they kept a 20 year old goalie, so you'd think that means he should be good, right? So that's why I put them 7. *start rant* However their forward group is downright embarrassing. Who drafts for these guys, honestly? Maybe this is just their turn to take some lumps after a pretty decent 6 year run there, but my god their forwards are as bad of a group I can remember in this league for some time. *end rant* Vancouver should sneak into the playoffs to get a little taste before they attempt to take off next year. I put Tri at 9 as the only real player they have is Comrie and he should miss a chunk of time with WJs, plus we've seen this team before (seattle during the Pickard years), a great goalie and no team doesn't make the playoffs. These 4 could finish in any order though and I'd be surprised if any of them won more than 2 games in the playoffs.

10 - Group 4 is Prince George. They get their own group. Hooray! I did this because this will probably be the only time they'll get to feel special all season. This mess will finish last, count on it.

Rockets over Giants 4-0
Thunderbirds over Chiefs 4-1
Winterhawks over Royals 4-2
Silvertips over Blazers 4-2

Rockets over Silvertips 4-1
Thunderbirds over Winterhawks 4-3

Thunderbirds over Rockets 4-2

I'm not sure if Barzal will be able to lead the Thunderbirds to that high in the standings and all the way to the Chynoweth Cup. I would be alright with Seattle finishing 4th or 5th, but I feel 2nd is way too high.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
well he isn't ready, not a chance, and if they think he is, they blew the pick. He couldn't compete at the world junior level. He may prove me wrong this season, we shall see.

Blazers will be solid again in 2 -3 years. Count on it.

Well, looks like I was wrong. Lipon is on the verge of signing a standard entry level contract with winnipeg. They must see something I don't. I guess that's I design websites for a living.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
The Giants have wayy to many bottom six guys and not enough top guys. Instead of Houck, Franson and Sward. No real powerhouses up front. But Benson will change that in the future.

Agreed but they have a very good young defense and Lee in net looks good too.

Even if the forwards aren't the most skilled group they will work hard and be in the mix for a playoff spot IMO.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
The Wheaties have KM back behind the bench thats good for a powerplay or 2 per game.

They are a young team who played horrid defensively last year. But they will have a ton of firepower up front and if Burkharts is half as good as some say he is he should score a lot. Goaltending will be a question mark and it wouldn't shock me to see them with 16 year old Evan Robert on the roster to start the year.

PA SHOULD be the class of the east but you never know with them. Calgary and Kootenay will be tough because of the great coaching and scouting both teams do. I see that as 1-2-3 in the east.

Brandon's time will be next year. I expect we get a repeat of Memorial cup team then all offense and some defense and hopefully MUCH better goaltending this time around

I don't think next year will be Brandon's year they will bring on there 3 impressive bantam players (Patrick, Clague and Kaspick) but they still will be only 16 years old. Give them 2 seasons then look out WHL.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I really think Reid Duke is going to have a MAJOR break-out year this year, and possibly climb into the 1st round of the NHL Entry Draft. Such a skilled, and exciting player, yet seems very level-headed. I think the coaching change in Lethbridge will do absolute wonders for him. Keep an eye on him.

Call me optimistic, but I think Lethbridge will be greatly improved. They have a very deep forward group and lost next-to-nobody upfront (just Hood, but I was not a fan of his), and they should be able to skate/score with any team in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->