2013-14 WHL Predictions

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Hard to say w/ Victoria. Gogo is gone, which leaves a huge offensive hole, but we also have some good 16-year-olds coming in, too.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I think this could be the start of Portland's decline, but they still make the playoffs.

1. Edmonton Oil Kings - The Oil Kings only have 3 overage spots to keep any of Brossoit, St. Croix, Ewaynk, Lowe, Gernat, Keiser, Legault. Start of the Oil Kings decline, Lazar lights the lamp.
2. Calgary Hitmen - Still have a chance to compete to #1, but the Oil Kings still have that exceptional firepower in each position.
3. Kootneay Ice - Sam Reinhart carries this team to the promise land and into a decent playoff spot for a spot at #1 overall.
4. Prince Albert Raiders - Morrissey develops, German Gretzky, Winther and possible Marc McNeil carry the offensive load for PA.
5. Red Deer Rebels - Bartosak has another spectacular year. If Dumba comes back they are higher, but Fleury, Bleackley will make an impact.
6. Medicine Hat Tigers - Shinkaruk leads the WHL in scoring, Valk and Koules help this team to a higher playoff spot.
7. Swift Current Broncos - This team's success is based on Lowry's return to the lineup, if not they barely squeak into the playoffs.
8. Lethbridge Hurricanes - Not much improvement, but they do get some improvement scoring wise which squeaks them in the playoffs.
------------
9. Brandon Wheat Kings - This team gets a bit better, adding Bukarts makes this team a bit better, Hawryluk, Pulock and Roy are back and just getting better, but not a playoff team just quite yet.
10. Moose Jaw Warriors - The loss of Rielly, Point, Brown, Fioretti and Paulic are the only bright spots on this team.
11. Regina Pats - Klimchuk gets better antoher year of Stephenson other then that this is a below average team at best.
12. Saskatoon Blades - Obvious reasons, this team is going into a complete rebuild.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
For the Oil Kings I can only see Kaiser, Legault, and MAYBE Ewanyk or Gernat coming back. Most likely Gernat I'd say. Though I'd doubt they finish first, only if Reinhart and Samuelson come back. The rookies from last year would really have to step up.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
I think this could be the start of Portland's decline, but they still make the playoffs.

1. Edmonton Oil Kings - The Oil Kings only have 3 overage spots to keep any of Brossoit, St. Croix, Ewaynk, Lowe, Gernat, Keiser, Legault. Start of the Oil Kings decline, Lazar lights the lamp.
2. Calgary Hitmen - Still have a chance to compete to #1, but the Oil Kings still have that exceptional firepower in each position.
3. Kootneay Ice - Sam Reinhart carries this team to the promise land and into a decent playoff spot for a spot at #1 overall.
4. Prince Albert Raiders - Morrissey develops, German Gretzky, Winther and possible Marc McNeil carry the offensive load for PA.
5. Red Deer Rebels - Bartosak has another spectacular year. If Dumba comes back they are higher, but Fleury, Bleackley will make an impact.
6. Medicine Hat Tigers - Shinkaruk leads the WHL in scoring, Valk and Koules help this team to a higher playoff spot.
7. Swift Current Broncos - This team's success is based on Lowry's return to the lineup, if not they barely squeak into the playoffs.
8. Lethbridge Hurricanes - Not much improvement, but they do get some improvement scoring wise which squeaks them in the playoffs.
------------
9. Brandon Wheat Kings - This team gets a bit better, adding Bukarts makes this team a bit better, Hawryluk, Pulock and Roy are back and just getting better, but not a playoff team just quite yet.
10. Moose Jaw Warriors - The loss of Rielly, Point, Brown, Fioretti and Paulic are the only bright spots on this team.
11. Regina Pats - Klimchuk gets better antoher year of Stephenson other then that this is a below average team at best.
12. Saskatoon Blades - Obvious reasons, this team is going into a complete rebuild.

Why the Wheat Kings return to the playoffs this year and on there way back to being one of the best teams in the WHL:

1. Kelly McCrimmon returns behind the bench
2. Pulock returns healthy after injury plagued year.
3. Young players improve after a year under there belt in key roles last year
Jayce Hawryluk, Tim McGauley, John Quenneville
4. Eric Roy proves not drafting him to the 5th round was a mistake
5. Solid goaltending from Honey and Papirny
6. Additions of Shmyr and Bukarts add much needed offense

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
For the Oil Kings I can only see Kaiser, Legault, and MAYBE Ewanyk or Gernat coming back. Most likely Gernat I'd say. Though I'd doubt they finish first, only if Reinhart and Samuelson come back. The rookies from last year would really have to step up.
Corbett is another 20yr old that will likely be back. No way Gernat is as he would take a 20yr old and an import spot and that's not going to happen.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011

------------

Always tough to speculate when it's unclear who's returning, but for $hits & giggles, I'll have a go at it.

1. Prince Albert Raiders - These guys are loaded. It's not enough that they boast a pair of elite 18 year olds in 2013 NHL first round pick Josh Morrisey and 2014 NHL first round pick Leon Draisaitl, but they are absolutely unfairly stocked with 19 year olds. No less than 11 potential 19 year olds returning plus the potential 20 year olds, that may return give the Raiders an immediate core group which is the envy of the East. The trade that brought in Cole Cheveldave? A game changer and a sure sign the Raiders are going for it this season. Never mind the fact they have 17 year old studs like Rhett Gardner and Tim Vanstone and absolute future super stars in 16 year olds Brendan Ghule and Nick McBride. Combine that with the fact that the East will once again be the weakest Division and I can't see how these guys don't finish first out East ... then again, P.A. always seems to find a way. Can Cory Clouston break the curse?

2. Red Deer Rebels - I'm going to go with a dark horse here to come out on top in Alberta. Assuming Dieno, Bartosak and Dumba all return, this could be the year for the Rebels. I like the way Sutter has re-shuffled his deck. A great balance of proven veterans, a potential 100 point man in Ryse Dieno, gritty role players and exciting young talent. Hayden Fleury and Connor Bleackley are budding super stars and both will have outstanding years. This team has the look and feel of winners.

3. Medicine Hat Tigers - This is just a really good team that returns almost intact and just gets a year older and stronger and when you have players like Hunter Shinkaruk, Curtis Valk and Tyler Lewington, to name a few, that's not good news for the rest of the league. Shinkaruk should mature into a league MVP type player on Medicine Hat this year - look for him to eclipse 120 points this season.

4. Brandon Wheat Kings - This might be a little low, as this could be a worst-to-first story. An oustanding defense corp led by Pulock, Roy and Walters to feed an exciting forward crop, which includes as many as 6 ppg forwards - a healthy Richard Nejeschleb, last years leading scorer Tim McGauley a year older and stronger, two potential NHL 2014 first rounders in Jayce Hawryluk and Latvian phenom Rihards Bukarts (youngest player to ever score in MHL), and perhaps the biggest impact 16 year old who's name isn't Matthew Barzal, Minnesota scoring sensation Jesse Gabrielle. Add in a couple overage forwards, the possible return of Tyrel Seaman and up and comers like Taylor Cooper and John Quenneville and this may be the deepest group of forwards in the Eastern Conference. This group reminds me of Portland 3 years ago. It's no wonder McCrimmon wants back behind the bench. These guys will fun to watch and even more fun to coach.

5. Calgary Hitmen - Another team in decline but return enough firepower to fill the net and depending on who all returns, could feature one of the leagues top defensive units. This team won't fall far however, as Jake Virtanen is ready this year to play big minutes and begin to make this his team. Should finish in top 3 in Alberta.

6. Edmonton Oil Kings
- These guys aren't ready to go away just yet, but you can only lose so much top tier talent and stay at the top. They still have potentially the defense of a championship team, depending on who returns, they simply reload in goal and Curtis Lazar will easily step into the lead roll upfront and be a regular atop the WHL leaderboard. I just don't see the same depth and firepower they have had these past two years. Still a good team and threat to win any game they play, but they are definitely starting the downhill portion after being to the mountaintop.

7. Kootneay Ice - Mackenzie Skapski and the solid veteran defence in front of him is going to give this team a chance in every game they play. Upfront, 18 year old super stars Sam Reinhart and Jaedon Descheneau are surrounded by a ton of veteran grinders. Collin Shirley and Luke Philps are poised for breakout years

8. Swift Current Broncos - This is going to be a fun team to watch and a hard team to play against. Zac Mackay, Tanner LeSann & Dakota Odgers give this team heart and soul. They are surrounded by veteran talent like Brent Benson and Coda Gordon, two quality imports who are coming and exciting incoming youngsters like Glen Gawdin, who will be an impact 16 year old in the WHL this season. Goaltending is a question mark, but if they get that figured out they could finish a lot better than 8th. I really like this team.

------------

9. Lethbridge Hurricanes - Exciting 16 year old crop with Georgio Estephan, Colt Conrad and Thomas Lenchyshyn. Give them a year to get their feet wet.
10. Regina Pats - The turnaround has begun and with Cameron at the helm will be a contender in the not to distant future.
11. Moose Jaw Warriors - I like the aquistion of Fiddler and Brayden Point is already a star in this league, but without Reilly & Fioretti it looks grim this season.
12. Saskatoon Blades - FULL rebuild.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Always tough to speculate when it's unclear who's returning, but for $hits & giggles, I'll have a go at it.

1. Prince Albert Raiders - These guys are loaded. It's not enough that they boast a pair of elite 18 year olds in 2013 NHL first round pick Josh Morrisey and 2014 NHL first round pick Leon Draisaitl, but they are absolutely unfairly stocked with 19 year olds. No less than 11 potential 19 year olds returning plus the potential 20 year olds, that may return give the Raiders an immediate core group which is the envy of the East. The trade that brought in Cole Cheveldave? A game changer and a sure sign the Raiders are going for it this season. Never mind the fact they have 17 year old studs like Rhett Gardner and Tim Vanstone and absolute future super stars in 16 year olds Brendan Ghule and Nick McBride. Combine that with the fact that the East will once again be the weakest Division and I can't see how these guys don't finish first out East ... then again, P.A. always seems to find a way. Can Cory Clouston break the curse?

2. Red Deer Rebels - I'm going to go with a dark horse here to come out on top in Alberta. Assuming Dieno, Bartosak and Dumba all return, this could be the year for the Rebels. I like the way Sutter has re-shuffled his deck. A great balance of proven veterans, a potential 100 point man in Ryse Dieno, gritty role players and exciting young talent. Hayden Fleury and Connor Bleackley are budding super stars and both will have outstanding years. This team has the look and feel of winners.

3. Medicine Hat Tigers - This is just a really good team that returns almost intact and just gets a year older and stronger and when you have players like Hunter Shinkaruk, Curtis Valk and Tyler Lewington, to name a few, that's not good news for the rest of the league. Shinkaruk should mature into a league MVP type player on Medicine Hat this year - look for him to eclipse 120 points this season.

4. Brandon Wheat Kings - This might be a little low, as this could be a worst-to-first story. An oustanding defense corp led by Pulock, Roy and Walters to feed an exciting forward crop, which includes as many as 6 ppg forwards - a healthy Richard Nejeschleb, last years leading scorer Tim McGauley a year older and stronger, two potential NHL 2014 first rounders in Jayce Hawryluk and Latvian phenom Rihards Bukarts (youngest player to ever score in MHL), and perhaps the biggest impact 16 year old who's name isn't Matthew Barzal, Minnesota scoring sensation Jesse Gabrielle. Add in a couple overage forwards, the possible return of Tyrel Seaman and up and comers like Taylor Cooper and John Quenneville and this may be the deepest group of forwards in the Eastern Conference. This group reminds me of Portland 3 years ago. It's no wonder McCrimmon wants back behind the bench. These guys will fun to watch and even more fun to coach.

5. Calgary Hitmen - Another team in decline but return enough firepower to fill the net and depending on who all returns, could feature one of the leagues top defensive units. This team won't fall far however, as Jake Virtanen is ready this year to play big minutes and begin to make this his team. Should finish in top 3 in Alberta.

6. Edmonton Oil Kings
- These guys aren't ready to go away just yet, but you can only lose so much top tier talent and stay at the top. They still have potentially the defense of a championship team, depending on who returns, they simply reload in goal and Curtis Lazar will easily step into the lead roll upfront and be a regular atop the WHL leaderboard. I just don't see the same depth and firepower they have had these past two years. Still a good team and threat to win any game they play, but they are definitely starting the downhill portion after being to the mountaintop.

7. Kootneay Ice - Mackenzie Skapski and the solid veteran defence in front of him is going to give this team a chance in every game they play. Upfront, 18 year old super stars Sam Reinhart and Jaedon Descheneau are surrounded by a ton of veteran grinders. Collin Shirley and Luke Philps are poised for breakout years

8. Swift Current Broncos - This is going to be a fun team to watch and a hard team to play against. Zac Mackay, Tanner LeSann & Dakota Odgers give this team heart and soul. They are surrounded by veteran talent like Brent Benson and Coda Gordon, two quality imports who are coming and exciting incoming youngsters like Glen Gawdin, who will be an impact 16 year old in the WHL this season. Goaltending is a question mark, but if they get that figured out they could finish a lot better than 8th. I really like this team.

------------

9. Lethbridge Hurricanes - Exciting 16 year old crop with Georgio Estephan, Colt Conrad and Thomas Lenchyshyn. Give them a year to get their feet wet.
10. Regina Pats - The turnaround has begun and with Cameron at the helm will be a contender in the not to distant future.
11. Moose Jaw Warriors - I like the aquistion of Fiddler and Brayden Point is already a star in this league, but without Reilly & Fioretti it looks grim this season.
12. Saskatoon Blades - FULL rebuild.

As a Raids fan, I like this a LOT.

I'll say:
1. Calgary
2. Prince Albert
3. Medicine Hat
4. Kootenay
5. Edmonton
6. Red Deer
7. Brandon
8. Swift Current

9. Lethbridge
10. Moose Jaw
11. Regina
12. Saskatoon (THANK GOD)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This year should be a lot closer between teams than the last 2-3 seasons. Portland and Edmonton lost some key guys and depth to their teams, but they should still be fighting with the top dogs in their respectable conferences. My predictions with key player being the player on that team that needs to make a difference for their club and wildcard player who could return from their NHL club for more seasoning and destroy the league.

EASTERN
1. Red Deer Rebels [Key Player: Bartosak | Wildcard: Dumba]
2. Prince Albert Raiders [Key Player: Draisaitl | Wildcard: McNeill]
3. Edmonton Oil Kings [Key Player: Gernat | Wildcard: Samuelsson]
4. Swift Current Broncos [Key Player: Heatherington | Wildcard: Lowry]
5. Moose Jaw Warriors [Key Player: Fioretti/Point | Wildcard: Rielly]
6. Lethbridge Hurricanes [Key Player: Yakubowski | Wildcard: None]
7. Calgary Hitmen [Key Player: Virtanen | Wildcard: Rask]
8. Medicine Hat Tigers [Key Player: Shinkaruk | Wildcard: None]

9. Brandon Wheat Kings [Key Player: Pulock | Wildcard: None]
10. Kootenay Ice [Key Player: Reinhart | Wildcard: None]
11. Regina Pats [Key Player: Klimchuk | Wildcard: Stevenson]
12. Saskatoon Blades [Key Player: Makarov | Wildcard: Stransky]

This conference should be VERY close (and I mean very) between 4th to 12th.

WESTERN
1. Portland Winterhawks [Key Player: Petan | Wildcard: Jones]
2. Kelowna Rockets [Key Player: Sissons | Wildcard: Bell]
3. Kamloops Blazers [Key Player: Bozon | Wildcard: Smith]
4. Seattle Thunderbirds [Key Player: Barzal | Wildcard: Delnov]
5. Victoria Royals [Key Player: Polivka | Wildcard: Nelson]
6. Tri-City Americans [Key Player: Yuen/Topping | Wildcard: None]
7. Vancouver Giants [Key Player: Tvrdon | Wildcard: Tvrdon]
8. Everett Silvertips [Key Player: Mueller | Wildcard: None]

9. Prince George Cougars [Key Player: Bourke | Wildcard: Jacobs]
10. Spokane Chiefs [Key Player: Holmberg | Wildcard: None]

This is the year that Seattle makes major steps forward in a conference which teams got considerable weaker; Spokane and Tri-City while other youngsters like Royals and Giants take advantage of that.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
While I'd be happy for him, I honestly think the chances of Nelson making the Sabres out of camp is slim to none.

Personally, I think Hodges has a better shot at making the Panthers' line-up.

Trot

Dec 4, 2002
Seattle, Wa
Visit site
WESTERN
1. Portland Winterhawks [Key Player: Petan | Wildcard: Jones]
2. Kelowna Rockets [Key Player: Sissons | Wildcard: Bell]
3. Kamloops Blazers [Key Player: Bozon | Wildcard: Smith]
4. Seattle Thunderbirds [Key Player: Barzal | Wildcard: Delnov]
5. Victoria Royals [Key Player: Polivka | Wildcard: Nelson]
6. Tri-City Americans [Key Player: Yuen/Topping | Wildcard: None]
7. Vancouver Giants [Key Player: Tvrdon | Wildcard: Tvrdon]
8. Everett Silvertips [Key Player: Mueller | Wildcard: None]

9. Prince George Cougars [Key Player: Bourke | Wildcard: Jacobs]
10. Spokane Chiefs [Key Player: Holmberg | Wildcard: None]

This is the year that Seattle makes major steps forward in a conference which teams got considerable weaker; Spokane and Tri-City while other youngsters like Royals and Giants take advantage of that.

I think Seattle will be improved but they have a huge wildcard and it's not Delnov. They don't have a single goalie with any significant WHL experience on the roster. Who will stop the puck for the Thunderbirds is the biggest question of the pre-season. Not sure they will finish ahead of Tri-City who you'd probably have to list Comrie as the wildcard as no one knows how he'll return from hip surgery, but I'd take my chances with that over the Thunderbirds situation.

BWK Fan 97

Apr 1, 2013
On The Prairies
That is a pretty bold move putting Brandon in 4th. As a season ticket holder I see them around the 6-10 range, and here is why. The goalies are inexperienced. Papirny is promising but only has a couple of WHL apperances, and I don't think Honey is good enough to be a whl BACKUP, let alone the starter. Add a weak over age crop (yes they can trade for others), and it is hard for me to see them in forth. (I hope you are right though!)

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
While I'd be happy for him, I honestly think the chances of Nelson making the Sabres out of camp is slim to none.

Personally, I think Hodges has a better shot at making the Panthers' line-up.

I couldn't disagree more. Nelson had an amazing camp in Buffalo while Hodges was barely talked about in Florida.

Nelson has much more potential to be an NHLer due to him being more physical and his improvement on both ends of the ice.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I couldn't disagree more. Nelson had an amazing camp in Buffalo while Hodges was barely talked about in Florida.

Nelson has much more potential to be an NHLer due to him being more physical and his improvement on both ends of the ice.
Either way, I think we'll be seeing both of them in Royals jerseys this season.

Oct 15, 2008
Who the **** is Kaiser?

I like Kootenay to finish first (in the EC). Red Deer, Calgary, PA, Brandon will all be strong. Edmonton will finish 5-8th imo. The rest are a crap shoot. I cant get behind the Hurricanes. But firing their donkey of a coach was a good start. Saskatoon will have trouble winning 15 games.

As far as the WC goes, I think Vancouver will be vastly improved (duh right?). Portlandia will have the usual number of guys vacating NCAA programs at the last minute to go there (no cheating- honest!).

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
SEPH, Liquor or anyone else that knows more about these things than I do: % chance that McNeill is back for PA? Winther?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Who the **** is Kaiser?

I like Kootenay to finish first (in the EC). Red Deer, Calgary, PA, Brandon will all be strong. Edmonton will finish 5-8th imo. The rest are a crap shoot. I cant get behind the Hurricanes. But firing their donkey of a coach was a good start. Saskatoon will have trouble winning 15 games.

As far as the WC goes, I think Vancouver will be vastly improved (duh right?). Portlandia will have the usual number of guys vacating NCAA programs at the last minute to go there (no cheating- honest!).

This post made my day.

I will be surprised if kamloops is in the top half of the conference. I think we a building towards 3 years from now. With the trade of Chevaldave and the lack of depth scoring right now. Its a long shot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
SEPH, Liquor or anyone else that knows more about these things than I do: % chance that McNeill is back for PA? Winther?

As Liquor touched on Winther should probably be back. Only chance I see McNeill coming back is he absolutely completely sucks in the AHL that Hawks have no other choice, but to send him back.

I do not know the situation with the Hawks AHL farm team and how many spots there are open between all lines and the team, but speaking as a Avs fan we sent Heard (overager in OHL) back to Plymouth last year due to him only getting bottom 4th line minutes with Lake Erie. If McNeill is in the same situation I can also see the Hawks sending him back.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
As Liquor touched on Winther should probably be back. Only chance I see McNeill coming back is he absolutely completely sucks in the AHL that Hawks have no other choice, but to send him back.

I do not know the situation with the Hawks AHL farm team and how many spots there are open between all lines and the team, but speaking as a Avs fan we sent Heard (overager in OHL) back to Plymouth last year due to him only getting bottom 4th line minutes with Lake Erie. If McNeill is in the same situation I can also see the Hawks sending him back.

Rockford's fairly stacked. It doesn't have a ton of high end talent, but it is very deep, so it wouldn't surprise me if McNeill was, at best, third line. That's all that gives me hope that we could get him back. Because if we did, I think PA could finish with the best record in the league, what with the East division being so damn bad.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
The Everett Silvertips are going to take a big jump in the standings this year. Constantine is taking the coaching reigns again, and a lot of new talent is coming. The addition of Jujhar Khaira, Ivan Nikolishin, and Matt Pufahl should be very beneficial for the offensively starved team. Tyler Sandhu, Ty Mappin, and Dawson Leedahl should be ready to take the next step in their draft year. Mirco Mueller and Ben Betker are back after being taken in this years NHL Draft, they should both take a step forward and become leaders on this team. Josh Winquist and Reid Petryk should be back for their overage seasons and again be offensive leaders for the team. A team's success has everything to do with their goaltender, and Austin Lotz is a goalie that will do anything to help his team win. Last year the Silvertips went with a very young team and this year they're expected to start winning.

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
My Predictions.

Eastern Conference

1. Kootenay
2. Prince Albert *1st conference seed
3. Medicine Hat
4. Red Deer
5. Edmonton
6. Calgary
7. Lethbridge
8. Moose Jaw
9. Swift Current
10. Regina
11. Brandon
12. Saskatoon

Kootenay - had one of the best records down the stretch without a 2nd overager, and very limited Euro Production. They only loose 2 players, albeit 1 is underrated defensive stud in Joey Leach.

Prince Albert - Some rising stars on their team, and traded for a good overage goalie. They should take advantage of a young division. They will most likely loose key sniper Mark Mcneill. I put them in 2nd due to the conference buy.

Medicine Hat - Valk + Shinkaruk = good for 100 goals right their. Defense could be a strength for them this season. Their young and physical Dman are maturing, and 20 yr old converted forward was turned into a defensive workhorse.

They also have 4 other players who could/should easily reach the 20 goal mark. How consistent will their goaltending be? and will their small size be an issue. If they don't keep Doty they may potentially have just 1 forward over 6 feet tall.

Red Deer - They get Patrik Bartosak back. Sutter's systems are top notch in junior. They might have troubles scoring, but your not going to score on them very often. Young studs in Haydn Fluery, and Connor Bleackley, and Dumba is NHL/WHL. I think they will be similar to last season.

Edmonton - They loose a lot of depth yes, but they still have Tristan Jarry, Curtis Lazar, Henrik Samuelsson, Mitch Moroz, Cody Corbett, Stephane Legault, Edgars Kuldra who awoke during the playoffs, and could possibly get back Griffen Reinhart if he doesn't stick in the NHL. They still have some talent on their team who know how to win. I think the gap between them calgary/edmonton is very close.

Calgary - They loose some good pieces too, but still have some good young talent, and some overagers to sell.

Moose Jaw - 2nd youngest Team last year. I haven't heard Fioretti getting signed, and Moose Jaw probably would have traded Rellly if they didn't think he would be back as its either NHL/WHL.

Lethbridge - very small but their offense should break out this year. Can they keep the puck out of the net?

Swift Current - Getting Laurikainen back will be a boost. They will be a young team this year losing Benson, Howorko, Lowry, scarlett, moser, Lund, Reum, Nedomel, possibly Graham Black.

Brandon - Their leading scorers were 16 and 17 year old last year. They gave up a ton of goals with 2-20 yr old overagers, and Pulock, and Roy. Their core is young, it's not their year yet.

Regina - I'm not that familiar with Regina. They have had troubles the last few years, but their new coach should get them on track. They should have a really good top line, but they might have goal-tending troubles.

Saskatoon - Rebuild.

DarkHorse Team = Lethbridge.

Corbin Boes had a .916 save percentage when Brandon had a good team. Lethbridge retains their top 6 scorers in Maxwell, Yakubowski, Mackecknie, Ramsay, Watson, Erkamps. Defensive core is one year older. They are a bit on the small side. Youngster Reid Duke lead their team in +/- and could be poised for a breakout year. I think they are one year away from dressing a really good lineup and this year they should be making some noise.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Nice summary. I think you may be over-rating the Hurricanes, and under-rating the Wheaties. I dont think the Tigers will be as strong as you have them here either. Will be interesting to see Estephan this year. I think he could be pretty good right off the hop.

Most over-rated player in the WHL?

Shinkaruk5711.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad