**2013-14 Senators Season Preview**

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
As Sens fan recognize the review is not terribly accurate. So what we can learn from this is how the Sens are perceived by fans outside of Ottawa, and perhaps Toronto and Montreal.

Summer Moves
Ryan was acquired by trade (not important)

Goalies
Anderson was great, but he was also injured for half the year. The backups were also outstanding for the Sens.

The depth has diminished substantially, but since Anderson was injured for half the season anyways, the result is about the same.

Defense

Karlsson has some numbness and it is worrisome at least for the short term. He should be getting skating stronger as the season progresses and the nerves develop.

Methot will be paired with Karlsson, and his invite to Team Canada training camp demostrates how good he is.

Cowen is coming off a lost season due to injury, he may take a while to get into form, perhaps there is some long term issue, but he should be fine.

Wiercioch has had an impressive off season/preseason, he will pair with Cowen, and look for him to dial it up this season.

Phillips/Gryba and Corvo whould round out the bottom pair, while Boroweicki provides dependable depth.

Depth wise the team is not as strong as last year, but again, the long term injuries tapped into the depth and so once again the lack of depth is moot.

Speed on the defense is where you are way off base. Methot is very good, Cowen and Weircioch are fine, while Phillips and Gryba are perhaps a little slower than average. Corvo gets around fine. Overall skating wise, I think the team is above average.

Blood will not see time in the NHL, likely ever. Ceci and Claesson are after Borocop.

Forwards
Is health on teh top line an issue? Absolutely it is. The Sens have to hope that they are healthy in April.

Turris will be paired with MacArthur and likely Conacher. A competent 2nd line each capable of 18-22 goals. and 45-55 points each.

As for the secondary scoring, you missed the mark here. What the Sens have is a lot of guys that are very competent and can provide above average offense from the bottom six. There is a great blend of skill, toughness and defensive accumen in the bottom 6.

As for depth, the Sens have excellent depth.

Kudos for picking DaCosta as making the jump. I thought it would be Hoffman.

Special Teams

Your comment on Ryan, while accurate in terms of stats didn't take into account that he battled a stomach ailment that he picked up on a trip to Asia last year. Expect him to get back to his scoring self.

IMO your predictions are fine, though I think the Sens will compete for a higher position than you suggest. I actually think they can take their Division as Boston may struggle with a cup hangover and they didn't exactly run away with it last season.

2-7th in the east.

I hope you take this criticism well. It is interesting to see a perspective from an outsider.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I know you mean well and all so take everything I say from a critics point of you:

This is an absolutely terrible write-up.

Here is why:

Ottawa made the playoffs last year cause of it's depth on the bottom 6. That's how we beat Montreal and dominated them too on the scoreboard and physically. 14 rookies played on this team and most looked like they fit the job just fine.

Karlsson recorded 13 points in 12 games AFTER coming back from his injury when he was no where near 100% if he is still injured his offensive production won't be the main cause for concern as much as it will be his defensive efforts. BTW, he has looked spectacular in camp.

Zibanejad is one of the fastest players on our team. His speed is actually what makes him incredible.

Karlsson will be paired with Methot, this has been common knowledge for a year now.

Regardless of Karlsson's footspeed, he will still be the best defense man.

No way do Condra and Neil sniff 2nd line duties with Zibanejad/Stone/Hoffman/Conacher on this roster. Conacher has been amazing in camp so far and is the front-runner for that spot. If anything Michalek will go there and Zibanejad will replace him on the wing in the top-line.

I don't understand how Ottawa could have an elite bottom 6, one of the best 2nd line centers in the league, a lethal top line and be a C.

From a writer's perspective, I'm pretty sure you skimmed the reports of Ottawa, saw some last year's stats and assumed some things.

However, I have no doubt you have good intentions and will do a better job the next time around.

Thanks man!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Zibanejad is a good player, could hop into the Top Six. But definitely not a stand-out top six. IMHO he's too slow.

Sens had the least goals scored of any playoff team last season. If that trend continues (and with the same players logic says it will), then it will fall again onto the padded shoulders of Craig Anderson to keep this team in the playoffs.

@H2O The bottom six of a championship team produces. While Neil, Smith, Condra, and co. are great heart-and-soul players, you can only have so many clunkers on one team. I think giving guys like Da Costa, Stone chances could add some secondary scoring.

Thanks for the feedback though, especially "SensBruins4Ever" :handclap:

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about... SPEED is the reason Zibanejad was drafted.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
New Leafs fan!

Hey everyone, I'm from Ottawa but I'm trying to 'expand' my hockey horizons (namely because the majority of Sens fans are completely unrealistic)!

I've been listening to the Steve Dangle podcast recently (excellent stuff), and all the Leafs talk has really gotten me interested in a team that I think is a player (ahem or goaltender) away from competing in the post-season!

Please, tell me everything I need to know about being a Leaf fan up here in Ottawa :)

This is a post from OP. I'd take his review with a grain of salt.

peter67

Oct 16, 2012
Nepean
Thanks for the post. In the summer and preseason, we appreciate any and all hockey news we can get. BTW, did you write up a preview for every team? Congrats if you did.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
So after reading everything you've put down in your analysis, I think it's time for me to summarize what you're saying.

Ottawa did really well last year due to it's depth but they won't be as great this year because they lack depth.

Your entire write-up is laughable. Clearly you have little to no actual knowledge of this team.

TheOriginalSilf*

Jesus, you guys are the worst.

The internet: where social skills go to die.

Criticism breeds criticism. His analysis was inaccurate and we let him know that he's wrong. Not entirely sure what you're barking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad