2013/14 Roster

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Injuries have temporarily simplified the forward logjam ...

Zett Dats Abs
Franz Weiss Alfie
Tatar Ando Weiss
Cleary Emms Sammy
Bert and Miller are the odd men out currently....

Dmen are good to go already. Lashoff will be eating Murphs hotdogs in the pressbox hopefully.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Injuries have temporarily simplified the forward logjam ...

Zett Dats Abs
Franz Weiss Alfie
Tatar Ando Nyquist
Cleary Emms Sammy
Bert and Miller are the odd men out currently....

Dmen are good to go already. Lashoff will be eating Murphs hotdogs in the pressbox hopefully.

You had Weiss twice. But yeah, other than that, I think for now we're pretty much set. Things will get interesting when guys start to come off LTIR.

67coach

Mar 7, 2009
Detroit MI
Forgive me for my ignorance then, what happens to Burt and Miller? They obviously aren't going to GR so do we just eat their salaries?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Forgive me for my ignorance then, what happens to Burt and Miller? They obviously aren't going to GR so do we just eat their salaries?

People should not worry about extra players. Nothing extraordinary happens for them. They will play when some of the TOP12 is unavailable to play. That's called depth. Veteran sitting on the bench is not wasting any development from a younger player. Veteran also has experience how to jump in after a long break at the pressbox and how to be instantly effective. Younger guys usually don't have this experience.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Miller is a good dependable player. Shame he signed a 3 yr deal to come back here. I expect him still to play 40+ games.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think your carried away with this depth thing, no other team is carrying as many forwards as us.

It's a choice between 13 or 14 forwards and 7 or 8 defensemen. Not really a big deal that we chose more forwards. Three players are going to be scratches every night in either case.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
It's a choice between 13 or 14 forwards and 7 or 8 defensemen. Not really a big deal that we chose more forwards. Three players are going to be scratches every night in either case.

The problem I have is the cost of it. Say we have Miller, Bert and Tootoo when hes back that are scratched. Thats just over 5 million sitting there

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
People should not worry about extra players. Nothing extraordinary happens for them. They will play when some of the TOP12 is unavailable to play. That's called depth. Veteran sitting on the bench is not wasting any development from a younger player. Veteran also has experience how to jump in after a long break at the pressbox and how to be instantly effective. Younger guys usually don't have this experience.

This+guy+gets+it+_d1b6bb03e1cfa147964ecc6fa4743709.gif

Better to have a veteran in the pressbox than a youngin'.

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
The problem I have is the cost of it. Say we have Miller, Bert and Tootoo when hes back that are scratched. Thats just over 5 million sitting there

You don't play players based on salary. And still, there's a very low chance the top 12 all stay healthy. We also shouldn't have 15 healthy forwards on the roster anyway.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
Miller is a good dependable player. Shame he signed a 3 yr deal to come back here. I expect him still to play 40+ games.

babs loves miller. i can definitely see him taking sammys spot on opening night if there's no further injuries. i think babs would want miller as a first line pk'er.

something like:
andy-miller
emmerton-cleary
weiss-franzen
z-dats

cleary didn't even pk much last year and i personally think he's horrible (way to slow). but he's been there in preseason right? if miller is out, that pk looks awful unless we're gonna rely heavily on z and dats

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
babs loves miller. i can definitely see him taking sammys spot on opening night if there's no further injuries. i think babs would want miller as a first line pk'er.

something like:
andy-miller
emmerton-cleary
weiss-franzen
z-dats

cleary didn't even pk much last year and i personally think he's horrible (way to slow). but he's been there in preseason right? if miller is out, that pk looks awful unless we're gonna rely heavily on z and dats

Cleary on the PK is a liability. Players like Miller, Eaves, Dats, Z, Mule, Emmerton, Andersson should all be out there before him. Don't know how good at PK Weiss is.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Not sure Babcock is in love with Sammy. Plus, he'd have to play a pretty gritty, up-tempo style of game, because Babcock loves his energy lines. I could see Sammy switching into a scoring line, disappointing, getting scratched, then switching into a scoring line again, disappointing, getting scratched, repeat. Possibly the same with Bert.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Should be available later this afternoon.

Franzen-Weiss-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar
Miller-Emmerton-Samuelsson
Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Cleary

Ouellet-DeKeyser
Quincey-Smith
Almquist-Lashoff

And Petr Mrazek will start tonight.

As confirmed by The Malik Report

For Pittsburgh :

Goaltenders
29 MARC-ANDRE FLEURY – G
37 JEFF ZATKOFF – G

Position Players
2 MATT NISKANEN – D
4 ROB SCUDERI – D
5 DERYK ENGELLAND – D
9 PASCAL DUPUIS – F
12 CHUCK KOBASEW – F
14 CHRIS KUNITZ – F
15 TANNER GLASS – F
16 BRANDON SUTTER – F
17 DUSTIN JEFFREY – F
18 JAMES NEAL – F
19 BEAU BENNETT – F
27 CRAIG ADAMS – F
36 JUSSI JOKINEN – F
41 ROBERT BORTUZZO – D
44 BROOKS ORPIK – D
58 KRIS LETANG – D
71 EVGENI MALKIN – F
87 SIDNEY CROSBY – F

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You don't play players based on salary. And still, there's a very low chance the top 12 all stay healthy. We also shouldn't have 15 healthy forwards on the roster anyway.

His point is not that higher paid players should play just because they cost a lot.

His point is that 5M is better spent on another player who will play and make a difference, as opposed to being used up on players who are sitting on the bench.

Last edited:

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
His point is not that higher paid players should play.

His point is that 5M is better spent on another player who will play and make a difference, as opposed to being used up on players who are sitting on the bench.

Exactly. Michael Ryder got a 2 year 3.5 a year deal and had 16 goals and 35 points. Put him on the top line and knock Abby down to the 3rd or 4th. Money better spent there

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Not sure Babcock is in love with Sammy. Plus, he'd have to play a pretty gritty, up-tempo style of game, because Babcock loves his energy lines. I could see Sammy switching into a scoring line, disappointing, getting scratched, then switching into a scoring line again, disappointing, getting scratched, repeat. Possibly the same with Bert.

I think this is the most realistic scenario. The thing with Bert though is he has the chemistry with Dats. We've seen him put pucks in the net on his line, and he can go to the dirty areas and retrieve the puck. I see him as the most likely of the two to get minutes with Z/Dats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad