Confirmed with Link: 2013-14 Realignment approved

Analyzer*

They fixed it for Detroit, Colombus and Winnipeg. That's great.

However, the rest of this looks terrible.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
I hate this 14/16 thing. It's pro sports. You have to at least pretend you understand the concept of fair play.

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
One trivial but somewhat cool result: Habs-Bruins will pass Wings-Hawks for most games played head-to-head.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Not a fan of this at all, to be honest. Maybe it will grow on me.

Hopefully 2 more expansion teams in the West, and maybe a team relocating to Quebec (maybe Florida? Sorry Panthers fans..) here in the East. Would be nice..

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I look forward to being back with the Wings - one of the best organizations in the NHL and one we have plenty of history with.

I just hope they bring back the classic division names - Adams, Patrick, Norris, all that.

Forgot the 4th one? Smythe :D

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
I don't like this. I prefer divisional playoffs. I remember the good old days of the Adams Division and want that back. The real way you build rivalry is in the Playoffs and no better way to that then using divisional playoffs.

Also, the 8/14 and 8/16 thing is not fair.

Leo Getz

Sep 4, 2007
I don't think you can say West = 57% chance of making the playoffs compared to East = 50%. To me it makes more sense to ignore the 3 autos from each division since that would present the same unequality even if you had 15 teams per conference.

Therefore in the west you have 8 teams fighting for two spots (25%), compared to 10 teams fighting for 2 spots (20%) in the east. If there were 15 team conferences the percentage would be 22%.

Idk, doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Especially when you consider weak teams that don't even factor into the playoff picture.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I hate this 14/16 thing. It's pro sports. You have to at least pretend you understand the concept of fair play.

The only thing that's fair in life is the weather when the clouds burn off.;)

They still are taking the top three teams in each division.

Unfair would be taking the top 4 out of two and the top 3 out of the other two.

It still comes down to having a winning hockey program.

Look for Detroit to sign some tough guys in the offseason.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I dont have a problem with the divisions. Only wish anyone could meet anyone in any round after the divisional match ups.

Just an example... Boston/Montreal for the cup would be awesome.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Not a fan of this at all, to be honest. Maybe it will grow on me.

Hopefully 2 more expansion teams in the West, and maybe a team relocating to Quebec (maybe Florida? Sorry Panthers fans..) here in the East. Would be nice..

If you think about it, adding two more teams to the NHL will just be creating two more loser spots not making the playoffs.

There is no difference between having 16 playoff teams out of 30 or having 16 playoff teams out of 32.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I like it. It's different, sure, but in many ways it's better too (I hate the rule that gives division leaders an automatic top-3 berth and this new system makes that less a problem). And from a habs fan point of view, I say YES to more Detroit games and YES to Lightning games. I don't care for Florida, but then since they suck anyway I eagerly welcome them in our division. The Conference imbalance is a) probably temporary and b) no excuses stop whining.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Here's a scenario....for a little later to fix the conferences.

Division A:
Dissolute Phoenix
Add Portland and Seattle

Division B:
Add Kansas City

Division C:
Dissolute Florida and put TBay in Division D.
Add Quebec and Toronto 2

Division D:
Add TBay
Dissolute Columbus.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
And also: while Florida and TBay being with us is weird geographically, it's still only a 3 hours or so flight from Montreal, and we can easily visit both teams at the same time. For them, I bet they don't give a damn about having to travel more versus the opportunity of selling out home games against popular north-east teams.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Here's a scenario....for a little later to fix the conferences.

Division A:
Dissolute Phoenix
Add Portland and Seattle

Division B:
Add Kansas City

Division C:
Dissolute Florida and put TBay in Division D.
Add Quebec and Toronto 2

Division D:
Add TBay
Dissolute Columbus.

I can see something like that happening. The whole realignement is made with a 2 teams expansion in mind imho. They want to reevalute the whole thing in 2 years when.....TADA !! the new arenas in Quebec and Seattle will be ready. I don't think that's a coincidence.

It's all part of the plan

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know why they are speaking about expansion when we just had a lock-out over the fact small market teams are losing money.

Contract two ****ing teams then.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
This makes no sense but it's not like I've got a say in this.
To all of you who say the 14/16 thing isn't a big deal, how about if it was 6/24? Still doesn't matter? 8/22? 10/20? Where do you draw the line?
Making the playoffs isn't a coin flip, it's got nothing to do with probabilities, it's about beating other teams out for a spot, the more teams you got to beat, the tougher.
This thing IS a big deal.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This makes no sense but it's not like I've got a say in this.
To all of you who say the 14/16 thing isn't a big deal, how about if it was 6/24? Still doesn't matter? 8/22? 10/20? Where do you draw the line?
Making the playoffs isn't a coin flip, it's got nothing to do with probabilities, it's about beating other teams out for a spot, the more teams you got to beat, the tougher.
This thing IS a big deal.

I would draw the line at 14/16.

But it is irrelevant regardless. You still have to finish in the top three regardless if you have four teams below you or five teams.

Same with the next best record. Two will be added from the East and two will come from the West.

There might be a conference with 5 teams in the playoffs with either 2 or 3 teams below them.

I think people are placing too much attention on the difference in the number of NON playoff teams per conference when the only thing that matters is the number of playoff teams. And you get there by winning.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm not sure if some of you guys complaining right now are aware of this, but the way the format is now is absolutely ridiculous.

As it stands, a team could have the 9th or even the 11th amount of points and still finish 3rd in the conference by being the division leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad