Prospect Info: 2013-14 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Fletcher on KFAN right now basically saying that he doesn't really want to send Dumba back as he won't be able to make much progression playing in his 4th season against 17 year olds. Essentially said it's a foolish rule that they can't get him to Iowa.

That's highly questionable reasoning. The only way Dumba should be here is if he's ready for the NHL. No other reason is good for his development. You have to separate the situation. It's not a good reason to have him here when he's not ready just because he's "too ready" for junior hockey. And frankly, he didn't have a year last year that qualifies for being "too good for junior". Dominating the WHL is better than being overmatched in the NHL. You have to send back with that explanation of why he's here. By saying he'd be in Iowa proves that he's not ready in your eyes for the NHL. And this is NHL management? Wow.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I think Coyle Granlund has almost flipflopped. Granlund is better defensivily and Coyle better offensivily these days.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Your joking right in saying Granlund is better defensively than Coyle ?

Below the hash marks and along the wall in our end, Granlund is willing but clearly cannot handle NHL physically strong forwards--not a slam, it is what it is.

He looked stronger and quicker, but Coyle is a man-child and along with Brodziak were very very good.

I look to see Coyle to start getting some of Koivu's minutes.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
Cut the kid some slack he's playing out of position it will take him time too bad it cost us a goal. see what happens in a couple of games.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
this offense defense thing is a product of what lines they are on and how Yeo wants them to play. i think it more proves that the two are receptive to coaching than that one is progressing or regressing in their area of responsibility. Good sign all around.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
That's highly questionable reasoning. The only way Dumba should be here is if he's ready for the NHL. No other reason is good for his development. You have to separate the situation. It's not a good reason to have him here when he's not ready just because he's "too ready" for junior hockey. And frankly, he didn't have a year last year that qualifies for being "too good for junior". Dominating the WHL is better than being overmatched in the NHL. You have to send back with that explanation of why he's here. By saying he'd be in Iowa proves that he's not ready in your eyes for the NHL. And this is NHL management? Wow.
Got to agree. Unless Dumba is scoring two points a game and playing 45 minutes a night, there is always room for improvement in juniors. Hell, he could use the time in the weight room and watching video tape if he can't do more on the ice.

And I know it's unorthodox, but I am surprised NHL teams don't send guys like Dumba to Finland if they want them to okay against men. Yes, the team can't control the player, but learning a wider way to okay the game could be helpful to a young player.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Got to agree. Unless Dumba is scoring two points a game and playing 45 minutes a night, there is always room for improvement in juniors. Hell, he could use the time in the weight room and watching video tape if he can't do more on the ice.

And I know it's unorthodox, but I am surprised NHL teams don't send guys like Dumba to Finland if they want them to okay against men. Yes, the team can't control the player, but learning a wider way to okay the game could be helpful to a young player.

Oh yes. "Espoo Blues signs Mathew Dumba to a 1-year contract with NHL clause".

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Russo
Charlie Coyle had solid opener but told Mike Yeo he didn't sleep after bc of mistake on tying goal. Another reason #mnwild respect this kid

Are we sure he's just a kid in the game? Sounds more like a vet. ;)

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Oh yes. "Espoo Blues signs Mathew Dumba to a 1-year contract with NHL clause".

Doubt it would make him any good playing in Blues atm. They would probably just sell him to KHL... :shakehead

Really disappointed in Blues this season. Know they are tight on money but still. Shame on them

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

One of the rare moments I agree with you. You can't really hurt a players development by putting him somewhere that he'll thrive, but you can by over-matching him. Well said.

Coyle sure wasn't a man-child on that last kings goal.

Yeah, I'm not willing to throw him under the bus for one mistake. The rest of the game he was very solid, and at times brilliant.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Really? What the hell is up with Kurtis Gabriel? Are they scratching him? What are they doing with the kid? And yes, it does matter. He's 1) overage 2) a high draft pick for Minnesota (3rd round) and 3) undrafted for 2 years

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
Really? What the hell is up with Kurtis Gabriel? Are they scratching him? What are they doing with the kid? And yes, it does matter. He's 1) overage 2) a high draft pick for Minnesota (3rd round) and 3) undrafted for 2 years

I tweeted the Attack, and they told me that Kurtis is one of 4 overagers on their roster. League rules say you can only play 3, so 1 of the 4 will be scratched every game until/unless they make a trade.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I tweeted the Attack, and they told me that Kurtis is one of 4 overagers on their roster. League rules say you can only play 3, so 1 of the 4 will be scratched every game until/unless they make a trade.

Why didn't we send him to Iowa? Does him no good to be in Owen Sound if they scratch him

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
One of the rare moments I agree with you. You can't really hurt a players development by putting him somewhere that he'll thrive, but you can by over-matching him. Well said.

"thrive" is a spin word. how about he won't be "challenged" as much in juniors and it might be hard to grow as a player. He'll have to play one way to be successful in juniors, and another to be successful in the NHL. Or at least he'll have to strengthen aspects of his game that won't be challenged in juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->