2013-14 Out of Town Thread - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ka RasK*

4pts for Seguin. Good for him. 79 more games left before his golf season.

Meanwhile, the Bruins will fight again for the Cup. Without him and his meaningless 4pts night. Where was all that in the playoffs? Like the guy but still mad at him that he costed us a2nd Cup with his no-show in the playoffs.

The Bruins survived the departure of regular season star Joe Thornton. They'll do the same with Seguin.

And about these comparison between Loui and Seguin, Loui has very small shoes to fill to help us more in the playoffs. Only 2 goals will do it...

Don't have to bogart all that kool-aid in the out of town thread. 36% on the face-off dot tonight!!!

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Bruins did try to trade for #1 and #2 they would been drafted Barkov at #1. Seguin was centerpiece of those trades but it didn't work out well. Bruins were very high on Barkov. I have very good source on this one.

Yea Barkov is a beast. He looks like a veteran out there already.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
4pts for Seguin. Good for him. 79 more games left before his golf season.

Meanwhile, the Bruins will fight again for the Cup. Without him and his meaningless 4pts night. Where was all that in the playoffs? Like the guy but still mad at him that he costed us a2nd Cup with his no-show in the playoffs.

The Bruins survived the departure of regular season star Joe Thornton. They'll do the same with Seguin.

And about these comparison between Loui and Seguin, Loui has very small shoes to fill to help us more in the playoffs. Only 2 goals will do it...

Sounds like a butthurt jerk. You'll love Loui, just calm TF out. You guys gave up on Segs way too early but Loui will be great for you guys, just callllm down!

2ka RasK*

Meaningless stat; Dallas won 4-1, Seguin had 2 goals and 2 assists.

:facepalm: sarcasm

I'd normally argue face-offs are not a meaningless stat in any other given situation. But yes, 2 goals 2 assists and a team win>>>>face-offs. He has to become better on the face-off dot though. Helps team possession time and situational hockey outcomes. But otherwise he had a great game overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
:facepalm: sarcasm

I'd normally argue face-offs are not being a meaningless stat in any other given situation. But yes, 2 goals 2 assists and a team win>>>>face-offs. He has to become better on the face-off dot though. Helps team possession time and situational hockey outcomes. But otherwise he had a great game overall.

Less than 2% of faceoffs directly result in goals.

Kaoz*

you mean like when he got outplayed by a 100 year old Jagr during the playoffs and then did nothing for the next 10+ games to earn his spot back?

Revisionist history... While Seguins playoffs left much to be desired Jagr is probably the one guy on the Bruins who you can definitively say was worse.

Jagr had how many goals? Seguin was moved down to third line at least in part, arguably because Jagr on it looked like hot dog **** and was absolutely useless. Seguin looked dangerous throughout the 1st round but was incredibly snake bit (as were Bergeron and Marchand). It was the Seguin, Bergeron, and Marchand line that ended that series... a series Boston was barely able to hold onto against Toronto of all teams.

And in the finals it was the Seguin. Kelly, and Paille line that were about the only thing that came close to making it a series.

As others have said, at least the return on Seguin didn't suck... but if he continues to improve and thrive in his natural position, a position which Boston never even gave him a 3rd line opportunity at, then the way in which Seguin was handled here will continue to be a black spot on the Bruins FO especially considering their inability to develop other highly skilled first round picks to much the same end. These are players that are incredibly valuable to any team and Boston seems ill equipped to have them pan out. That alludes to an issue somewhere, be it in their scouting, player development, etc...

It's far too early to judge the effects of the Seguin trade, but it's not far too early to discuss and analyze how Seguin was handled here by both the team and by the collective fan base. Both left much to be desired. One of the many great traits about this team and fanbase in my opinion has been the workman like attitude and humble attitudes. There is however a concerted effort to villianize that certain type of player on their way out, be it an effort to justify trading them or simply to make the team look better for not being able to properly manage them I don't know, but either way it is incredibly unbecoming. There is an arrogance there that is wholly unjustified, and more reminiscent of something I would expect to see out of Montreal or Toronto.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like a butthurt jerk. You'll love Loui, just calm TF out. You guys gave up on Segs way too early but Loui will be great for you guys, just callllm down!

The Bruins didn't gave up on Segs...
They realized Segs was not the right investment for the team.

2ka RasK*

Less than 2% of faceoffs directly result in goals.

Stats in general are never the end all and be all in rating a player or team. I'd rather win the face-off than not. I'd rather win the board battle than not. I rather possess the puck than not. I'd rather take a high % shot than not. etc.

Nickel and dimes add up in your pocket as opposed to the other team's.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
The Bruins didn't gave up on Segs...
They realized Segs was not the right investment for the team.

They absolutely gave up on him. Saying he's the not the right investment for the team is just another way of saying they gave up on him.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

If Segs can CONSISTENTLY play like this he will be an all star player. I'm fine with the move. Segs never really impressed me with Boston so I'm looking forward to watching all star Ericsson this year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
none of us (who post) was in the room with this guy, but I know if it was me, and I was focused on winning a Cup, and battered and bruised, and a teammate had the perception real or imagined, not putting everything into it like I was I'd be pretty pissed; the weakest link in the chain applies here. He wasn't growing up as fast as needed to be and his commitment was clearly questioned not only by the guys in the suits upstairs but the guys who suit up in the stalls next to and around him.

Its really not hard to figure out folks- trust can be applied many ways but its still trust; its right near the top of every relationship be it significant other, child, people you work with, or letting your dog off a leash a the park. Without trust you are building on soft sand; They did not trust him enough. Simple. If you have never been in a relationship, had children, or a job I can see why you want this guy here he just got 4 points:handclap:

Primetimey*

If Segs can CONSISTENTLY play like this he will be an all star player. I'm fine with the move. Segs never really impressed me with Boston so I'm looking forward to watching all star Ericsson this year.

You can't even spell his name right? Second person in this thread to do that. Kind of sad to disrespect an amazing player.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
none of us (who post) was in the room with this guy, but I know if it was me, and I was focused on winning a Cup, and battered and bruised, and a teammate had the perception real or imagined, not putting everything into it like I was I'd be pretty pissed; the weakest link in the chain applies here. He wasn't growing up as fast as needed to be and his commitment was clearly questioned not only by the guys in the suits upstairs but the guys who suit up in the stalls next to and around him.

Its really not hard to figure out folks- trust can be applied many ways but its still trust; its right near the top of every relationship be it significant other, child, people you work with, or letting your dog off a leash a the park. Without trust you are building on soft sand; They did not trust him enough. Simple. If you have never been in a relationship, had children, or a job I can see why you want this guy here he just got 4 points:handclap:

Yes aaaannnd Yes.

IMO it was more of a message to the entire organization, that management wants it as much as they do, than it was about Seguin's on ice development. I'd pay big money (to me, which probably isn't big money to most) to know exactly what Thornton said to him in the locker room before OT in game 7 against the Leafs. Whatever and however he said it, you've got to think what he said was THE issue. That is the last time and place that a player should need a talking to.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
They absolutely gave up on him. Saying he's the not the right investment for the team is just another way of saying they gave up on him.

No... It's just the business way to remove a rotten egg to preserve the others.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Game, set, match.

Kaoz*

As was Kessel's, as was Thornton's, both of whom went on to be great players elsewhere who's commitment is no longer questioned.

So, what's wrong with the Bruins scouting department that they go out and get guys they can't trust with the wrong types of attitudes whom they know they can't develop. Those picks are more often then not "can't miss", guys who turn out to be franchise players playing for the same team for the majority of their careers... how many other teams have drafted 3 times in the top 5 and dealt all three players? You can't really say "they hoped they'd change with age", because none were anywhere close to matured players when they chose to move them out were they? Could they not have traded down and got serious pieces that could have helped both now and in the future instead of waiting?

2ka RasK*

Nothing will ever surprise me anymore.

Tim Thomas was vilified and kicked to the curb. His character assassinated on his way out of town.

Tim freakin' Thomas

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Nothing will ever surprise me anymore.

Tim Thomas was vilified and kicked to the curb. His character assassinated on his way out of town.

Tim freakin' Thomas

Not that he was given a fair shake on his last few months here, but he did nothing to help himself. In fact he mishandled it so badly that it escalated daily

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
As was Kessel's, as was Thornton's, both of whom went on to be great players elsewhere who's commitment is no longer questioned.

So, what's wrong with the Bruins scouting department that they go out and get guys they can't trust with the wrong types of attitudes whom they know they can't develop. Those picks are more often then not "can't miss", guys who turn out to be franchise players playing for the same team for the majority of their careers... how many other teams have drafted 3 times in the top 5 and dealt all three players? You can't really say "they hoped they'd change with age", because none were anywhere close to matured players when they chose to move them out were they? Could they not have traded down and got serious pieces that could have helped both now and in the future instead of waiting?

Obviously the situations were different with all three, but I find it hard to fathom why there's doubt about the reason Segs was shipped out. There was an obvious problem there, wether or not the press release stuff about the partying etc. was exaggerated or not. His personality just didn't fit this group well enough to be a leading player. Dallas is probably a much better fit and his individual stats will likely thrive there. Chia has to look at what helps this team win now during the "Chara window" and with the makeup of the team as it stands there was no room for gambling on Segs finding his true mojo here, if it's in there somewhere, to make him an elite player. If he had found that already they'd have let him continue partying within limits, but he let them down and they decided to cut their lossesand move in a different direction. He really was awful in the POs last year, and as a leading point producer on the team that's just not good enough. They got to the finals in spite of him, really.

I'm not getting into the Kessel and Thornton deals as they have been discussed to death already, and both have proven to have a positive outcome (eventual Cup). I am however convinced the Seguin deal was the right one to make, but only time will tell. Just looking at Seguins numbers in Dallas and comparing them to Loui's here won't tell the whole story though.

I might come off as bitter, but I'm really disappointed and in hindsight very happy about the deal and wish no ill on Segs in his future career, but I'm glad he's gone and excited about this team.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Not that he was given a fair shake on his last few months here, but he did nothing to help himself. In fact he mishandled it so badly that it escalated daily

Yeah. Who could forget him going off on the current administration every chance he got when he was being interviewed after games..

Oh wait.. He never did that.

It was the local sports media who wouldn't shut their ****ing mouths thanks to their Pejorative Slured double standards.

I suppose he could have not offered up his opinion on his facebook but I'm sure he didn't expect Haggs and KPD to be refreshing his facebook page crossing their fingers for any kind of conservative opinion that, by the way, half the Country shares.

He was railroaded. Plain and simple.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Dueschene with a beautiful goal. Av's up 2-0 early on WAS.

I would like to see the Bruins use their speed to drive the net but that is one major deficiency at this time. There doesn't seem to be anyone with true speed among the Bruins' forwards.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Dueschene with a beautiful goal. Av's up 2-0 early on WAS.

I would like to see the Bruins use their speed to drive the net but that is one major deficiency at this time. There doesn't seem to be anyone with true speed among the Bruins' forwards.

Trading Segs and Pevs and not getting any speed back in return is really noticeable this year. Bs are slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->