League News: 2013-14 Out of Town Scoreboard II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And that's why you don't trade a prospect for a $4.5 million winger when you have Brooks Laich signed long term.

Smid would have fit Mike Green like a glove. And Edmonton would have preferred to send him east.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
If they're willing to move Smid for peanuts to sign Bryzgalov, you'd have to think they'd have a certain level of interested in a deal around Smid and Neuvirth. That gets you well on your way to the cap space required. UGH.

Before anyone knew Smid was going to be traded the deal was done, meaning the Oilers knew what they wanted.

isAQSqgio4BLO.gif

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I just don't think Edmonton talked to too many people. I'm sure a ton of teams would have given them something more. Can't really blame Mcphee.

Yeah this appears similar to the Erat/Forsberg deal. Instead of shopping Smid around the league to maximize the return they just went out and got what they wanted.

It looks like there were 9 or 10 teams that could have absorbed that cap hit without sending any salary back, internal budgets not withstanding, and I'm sure the fans of every one of those teams are wondering why their GM didn't grab Smid. The Isles especially jump out to me as an obvious destination given their lack of quality on the blueline.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's been a lot of speculation that Smid was available for a while now. The Oilers added Belov and Ference in the off-season, so as soon as it was clear Belov belonged in the NHL, any GM worth his salt should have been calling up Edmonton to inquire about Smid. Even if MacTavish changed his tune about Smid's availability in the last couple days, I don't see how Calgary would be the only suitor.

To make matters worse, the Bryzgalov signing removes the best possible trade destination for Neuvirth.

Now I'm crossing my fingers in hope that the Smid addition can somehow make Giordano available. I know it's unlikely the Flames trade their captain at the deadline (two years in a row, no less), and that Gio is currently injured. But I'm going to hope against all logic that it happens. :laugh:

Liberati0n*

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 14h
Can't imagine the tension in that NHL.com emergency meeting after Twitter spoiled every headline wordplay for "Vey"

Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for responses.......MP has taken a couple of brutal hits here as well but it hasn't deterred him yet, tonight he played on the first line, there were a few dangerous shifts but the entire team was out of sync(BB claims the flu is going around the team) i never see the guy take a shift off and he's growing a fairly disgusting mustache

Oct 18, 2011
The year before he was much better, putting up points in 31 out of 64 GP. The available data isn't great to make a determination either way (I guess) because he just never got an opportunity here.

BTW, Perreault isn't getting PP time in Anaheim either. 100% of his 14 points have come at ES. Which is bananas. And tied for 8th in the NHL. Washington's leading ES point getter is Jason Chimera with 10.

Well he is getting PP time, 2:15 per game, which appears to put him on their 2nd unit, but their PP is simply awful so far this season so nobody on that team is picking up PP points really, Getzlaf and Bonino lead the team with 4 each, compared to Ovechkin and Backstrom who have 12 each, tops in the league.
Our PP before the last 2 games was trash, i do expect MP to give us some PP production he makes good passes and has sweet hands

InfernalDark*

"Source, Steven Stamkos has broken tibia. Told will require surgery. #TSN"

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I'm so tired of the NHL saying this ******** there was no way they could legally suspend Emery, when they suspend Carkner for the same exact thing without the Carkner bragging to the media that he assaulted him like Emery did.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I like it. If anyone was going to unblackball Nolan it was the organization that blackballed him to begin with. And Patty LaFontaine was pure class IMO.

I love it. I love Ted Nolan and I love lalalalalalalalaLAFONTAINE. If they do it right, I think they could turn it around in 2 years (including this season).

Lot of similarities between Buffalo and the Caps. Both peaked a few years ago. Both were offensive powerhouses that should have won a cup (Buffalo's best shot was torpedoed by like 6 blueline injuries). I hope we follow suit and axe the presumed GM for life.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm just confused as to why they would let Regier engineer one of the biggest/most important trades of the season if they were planning on firing him just a couple weeks later. Strange timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad