Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
iwA7MaKMGxJLu.gif

Oct 18, 2011
guys how come the caps could not find a spot for mathew perreault? myself and many ducks fans are shocked by how good he is, no matter who he plays with he makes things happen and is productive. all of his linemates keep getting injured overall im just very impressed with how smart he is, just a lil on the small side and i worry how he'll do vs blues/kings/sharks

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The big knock on MP was that he couldn't be that great player every game. Great for 4, invisible for 4.

But when OCDates came on board, I think the problem with him was simply that he is not ambidextrous.

He was our best center last year in the playoffs.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Lots of us liked MP85: creative, water-buggy, gutsy, fine goal/win celebrations, looks like a 3 Musketeer. His D wasn't always first-rate (and Hunter banished him to the bench in the playoffs 2 years ago for pointing the finger of blame at Schultz on a goal in a playoff game) and at some point every year, it seemed like someone on the other team would decide they'd had enough of his peskiness and ka-bong him and he would go into a shell for awhile. Maybe on a team like yours, big and sandpaper-y, that doesn't happen.

The start of this year is is about as long a run of consistency that's ever been seen from him, so either he's evolved to the next level, or he's about to have a drop-off.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
guys how come the caps could not find a spot for mathew perreault? myself and many ducks fans are shocked by how good he is, no matter who he plays with he makes things happen and is productive. all of his linemates keep getting injured overall im just very impressed with how smart he is, just a lil on the small side and i worry how he'll do vs blues/kings/sharks

He was never given a chance here. But mostly, he's a left handed center and our primary organizational philosophy is to equal numbers of lefties and righties. I wish that last sentence was a joke, but it's not. Perreault was moved so that we could move RH RW Eric Fehr to center so that we would have two left handed centers and two right handed centers.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
MP took some hits. He is not very big. Maybe those games he was not dazzling fans, he was ailing a bit. We all assume players are like robots but we have to expect to see players at less than 100% healing by taking games off. They will not ask to sit, and risk losing their jobs forever. Maybe they give it their all in practice to ensure a jersey, then chill in the games.

When it became apparent Halak was shellacking us, I wanted to see MP inserted into the lineup for game 6 or 7. He was instant off the bench offense all year. It was Flash or bust. Well, for game 7 BB finally benched Flash, but for Scott Walkers retirement game. Being a FC born outside of Montreal, he was going to be flying for that game 6 near home. You know its true.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Lots of us liked MP85: creative, water-buggy, gutsy, fine goal/win celebrations, looks like a 3 Musketeer. His D wasn't always first-rate (and Hunter banished him to the bench in the playoffs 2 years ago for pointing the finger of blame at Schultz on a goal in a playoff game) and at some point every year, it seemed like someone on the other team would decide they'd had enough of his peskiness and ka-bong him and he would go into a shell for awhile. Maybe on a team like yours, big and sandpaper-y, that doesn't happen.

The start of this year is is about as long a run of consistency that's ever been seen from him, so either he's evolved to the next level, or he's about to have a drop-off.

I don't know why the consistency thing is so parroted on this board.

He was a regular in 11/12

First 10 games - 5 points
Second 10 - 1 point
Third 10 - 7 points
Missed 2 weeks with a concussion
First 10 games back - 5 points
Second 10 - 3 points
Last 10 - 7 points

He was a regular in the shortened season:

First 10 games - 6 points
Second 10 - 6 points
Third 10 - 1 point
Last 10 - 5 points

He produced consistently, at even strength, with limited minutes and with limiting linemates.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its so parroted because that was the knock on him, from previous years.

As if young players cannot become more consistent

Its difficult to shake labels.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

They needed to make cap room to keep Wilson up and for some reason felt Fehr, who as far as anyone knows had never played center in his life before training camp, could play center, thus fulfilling Oates' dream of having 2 lefty and 2 righty centermen.

Most have always liked Perreault but he was never really given many opportunities to really succeed in DC by multiple coaches, including Boudreau. His ice time was always fairly limited and he very rarely received PP time. He did have consistency issues though so that was likely some of it.

I was bummed when they dealt him, especially with so little they got back, but with Johansson looking so good back at his natural center position now I think the Caps are in good shape down the middle this season and depending on what happens with Grabovski possibly in the future also.

I'm very happy Perreault is finally getting a real opportunity and getting it done and especially happy he is doing it out west...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Second 10 - 6 points
Third 10 - 1 point
Last 10 - 5 points

He produced consistently, at even strength, with limited minutes and with limiting linemates.

That is one way of looking at it but another is that in the 39 regular season games last year he put up 13 of his 17 points in just 6 games.

I completely agree about the limited minutes, limited linemates, and lack of PP time though.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
That is one way of looking at it but another is that in the 39 regular season games last year he put up 13 of his 17 points in just 6 games.

I completely agree about the limited minutes, limited linemates, and lack of PP time though.

The year before he was much better, putting up points in 31 out of 64 GP. The available data isn't great to make a determination either way (I guess) because he just never got an opportunity here.

BTW, Perreault isn't getting PP time in Anaheim either. 100% of his 14 points have come at ES. Which is bananas. And tied for 8th in the NHL. Washington's leading ES point getter is Jason Chimera with 10.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
BTW, Perreault isn't getting PP time in Anaheim either. 100% of his 14 points have come at ES. Which is bananas. And tied for 8th in the NHL.

Well he is getting PP time, 2:15 per game, which appears to put him on their 2nd unit, but their PP is simply awful so far this season so nobody on that team is picking up PP points really, Getzlaf and Bonino lead the team with 4 each, compared to Ovechkin and Backstrom who have 12 each, tops in the league.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Adam Oates thought Eric Fehr was a center because of 4 preseason games.

I also think Oates didn't like Perreault, when Perreault got obviously kneed during a game, afterwards he criticised Perreault for trying to dangle through the whole other team, he got the team a PP and he gets criticised for it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Adam Oates thought Eric Fehr was a center because of 4 preseason games.

I also think Oates didn't like Perreault, when Perreault got obviously kneed during a game, afterwards he criticised Perreault for trying to dangle through the whole other team, he got the team a PP and he gets criticised for it.

Hunter liked MP even less and I never thought BB was a big fan of his either so I'm suprised he's with him now and doing well.

I never understood it really. From an outside perspective he was like a microwave of offense ala Vinny Johnson of the Pistons back in the day. Hops off the bench and provides immediate spark.

I'm glad he's finally getting a legit chance.

apollo71426

Jan 21, 2010

He was a regular in 11/12

First 10 games - 5 points
Second 10 - 1 point
Third 10 - 7 points
Missed 2 weeks with a concussion
First 10 games back - 5 points
Second 10 - 3 points
Last 10 - 7 points

Second 10 - 6 points
Third 10 - 1 point
Last 10 - 5 points

Thank you! :handclap: Using the eye test, I always thought that whole consistency problem was a myth. I was just too lazy to dig up actual numbers. The thing I liked the most about Perreault, which the Duck fan mentioned, was his ability to make any winger he played with better. I wish he was still on the Caps, but we do have a lot of forward depth.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I feel sorry for Crosby, the pure terror on his face.

I watched the game the other night and something weird happened....

I found myself rooting for the PENS! It seems my hate for the Rangers has surpassed that of the Penguins.

Why I hate the Rangers more:

1. They play a horrendously boring unimaginative brand of hockey
2. Callahan has zero shame in his diving. He is worse than the entire Pens team combined.
3. Horrible chant/goal song
4. Pierre McGuire's love affair with Ryan McDonough
5. Sather makes horrible moves consistently but its either Montreal or the NHL bailing him out
6. Go from one smarmy coach to another who is smug in a different way.

I may not like the Pens but I respect them. I love how they play the game. I respect Lundqvuist and no one else on that Rangers team.

Jun 15, 2007
Well depending on Bryzgalov's contract, it's possible it was a cap trade.

We don't really have room for Smid.

Anyway, yeah I agree, Mcphee could have offered more. Even if Mcphee an asset to Florida or something to gain more cap space it would have been a solid deal.

I just don't think Edmonton talked to too many people. I'm sure a ton of teams would have given them something more. Can't really blame Mcphee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->