CALGARY DINOSAURS 2

(in overtime)
(Calgary wins CWUAA semi-final 2-1)

Links:
:. [LS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore (to follow)]
:. [U of C Game Story (to follow)] : [U of C Boxscore (to follow)]
:. [U of M Game Story (to follow)] : [U of M Boxscore (to follow)]
:. [CW Story (on all games)]

I was following this game on-line. I am leaving my computer shortly so the links are waiting to be added. For now, suffice it to say the Bisons lost a tough series that could have gone either way.

OUT EAST

aus-2012-50x50.jpg

Links: [AUS Post-Season Schedule/Results]

UNB-new-50x50.jpg
SMU-2012-condensed.jpg

NEW BRUNSWICK VARSITY REDS 0
SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 1

(SMU wins AUS semi-final 3-1)

Links:
:. [AUS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]

Acadia-A-50x50.jpg
Moncton-50x50.jpg

ACADIA AXEMEN 3
MONCTON AIGLES BLEUS 2

(Acadia wins AUS semi-final 3-1)

Links:
:. [AUS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]

The AUS produced one huge upset with the SMUskies dispatching the Squirrels. Unlike some other games, where the shots were one-sided in favour of UNB, this appears to have been a tight battle throughout. The Cajuns shut down the Blue Eggs in their own arena, with only 21 shots on goal. All four teams are coming off 4 games in 5 nights. Tough to blend in any school work with that schedule.

OUA-50pxh-white.gif

Links: [LeagueStat Daily]

Queens-50x50-1.jpg
Carleton-50x50b.jpg

QUEEN'S GOLDEN GAELS 0
CARLETON RAVENS 2

(Carleton wins OUA East semi-final 2-1)

Links:
:. [LS Summary] : [CIS Boxscore]

A credible performance by Her Majesty, I would say. They wobbled in the 2nd half of the season once they started playing better teams. But this series showed them to be a solid opponent, if not yet a contender. Now it is up to Cartoon U to see oif they can bring back that elusive OUA East title to the Province of Ontario.

windsor-50x50c.jpg
Western-Ontario-50x50.jpg

WINDSOR LANCERS 3
WESTERN ONTARIO MUSTANGS 1

(Windsor leads OUA West semi-final 2-1)

Links:

This will raise a lot of eyebrows across the CIS. However, there was only a 9 point gap between the teams so it is not what one would call a stunning upset.

UP NEXT:

Canada West final:
Alberta v Calgary

OUA West final:
Lakehead v Windsor

OUA East final:
Carleton v McGill

AUS final:
Acadia v Saint Mary's

Schedules are TBA.

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Playoff Schedule/Results]
[CIS Hockey Site]

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Tough loss for the Bisons. I'm sure the Bears are going to be the ones advancing regardless.

By the way, I wouldn't categorize the SMU victory over UNB as a huge upset. They did finish second in the CIS last year after all. The Huskies had some injury problems earlier in the year and just took awhile to get going.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 7-8 Update: Monkeys win the West

Bisons-50px.gif
dinos-2013-50x50.jpg

Last weekend I posted the Calgary-Manitoba results before most of the links had been uploaded. Here are the full links.

Links:
:. [U of C Game] : [U of C Boxscore]
:. [U of M Reposted Story] : [U of M Boxscore]
:. [CW Story (on all games)]

:. [Paulsen U of M A of the W] : [Duval 2nd team All-Star]
:. [Mucha plays for OIlers] : [Conference Awards]
:. [Calgary Herald Story] : [Calgary Sun Story]
:. [The Manitoban] : [Winnipeg Sun Story] [/color]

The media stories which followed the conference semi-finals were either recaps of the weekend series or announcements of the award winners. Ian Duval was the only Bison to be rewarded, and with a 2nd team all-star selection. He missed lots of the season but was no doubt an impact player whenever he played. He will be sorely missed by the Bisons. However, with Lewadniuk-Dickin-DePape all entering their 2nd seasons they should be able to compensate.

The stories somewhat address two aspects of Game 3 which I was not sure about. One was the time a pane of glass was broken. The Bedrock attendants replaced it with a board so the game could go on. Fortunately, it was at the end of the rink and no fans had their view obscured. The other was a last minute goal-mouth scramble where the Bisons thought they had the winner. Still no video of that one.

CONFERENCE/DIVISION FINALS

CW-condensed-nowords.jpg

dinos-2013-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 8

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
CALGARY DINOSAURS 1

(Alberta wins CWUAA semi-final 2-0)

Links:
:. [Friday LS Summary] : [Saturday LS Summary]
:. [Friday CIS Boxscore] : [Saturday CIS Boxscore]
:. [CW Preview Story] : [CW Game Stories]
:. [U of A Preview Story] : [U of A Game 1 Story] : [U of A Game 2 Story]
:. [U of C Preview Story] : [U of C Game 1 Story] : [U of C Game 2 Story]

The Monkeys jumped out to a 4-0 lead just 8 minutes into game 1 (on 10 shots), chasing starter Jacob Deserres from the Bedrock goal. From then on it was just time to coast to an easy victory. Deserres was back in goal for game 2 and it was a much tougher game. However, the Apes played some D of their own, and limited Bedrock U to 16 shots on goal.

So, one would think that the Monkeys will be the favourites at the University Cup in Saskatoon. One point worth noting: The two teams to beat them in the 2nd half were Manitoba and Mount Royal, the two biggest and roughest teams in the CW. Is anybody out east capable of playing a big game against the little monkeys?

aus-2012-50x50.jpg

SMU-2012-condensed.jpg
Acadia-A-50x50.jpg

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 3
ACADIA AXEMEN 6

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 0
ACADIA AXEMEN 3

(Acadia leads AUS semi-final 2-0)

Links:
:. [AUS Game 1 Summary] : [CIS Game 1 Boxscore]

:. [AUS Game 2 Summary (not uploaded)] : [CIS Game 2 Boxscore] [/color][/i]

The Cajuns got off to a big jump in game 1, scoring a lot of goals on not many shots. Game 2 was back to normal for the SMUskies. It was 1-0 until late in the 3rd period when the Cajuns scored two empty net goals. The series shifts to Halifax for games 3 and 4 on Sunday and Monday. I suspect the Cajuns should be able to wrap this up by then. If not, game 5 goes Wednesday night.

OUA-50pxh-white.gif

McGill-50px.jpg
Carleton-50x50b.jpg

MCGILL REDMEN 2
CARLETON RAVENS 5

CARLETON RAVENS 2
MCGILL REDMEN 3

(OUA East final tied 1-1)

Links:
:. [LS Summary Game 1] : [LS Summary Game 2]
:. [CIS Boxscore Game 1] : [CIS Boxscore Game 2]

The OUA East final is a much anticipated event. For one thing, Carleton is seeking to be the first Ontario team to win the title in years. For another, these two teams and UQTR were on the recipice of breaking into the upper echelons of the OHT36 rankings all season. The rubber match goes Sunday night and the winner will be off to the nationals.

windsor-50x50c.jpg
lakehead-wolf-50x50.jpg

LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 1
WINDSOR LANCERS 7

WINDSOR LANCERS 6
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 2

(Windsor wins OUA West final 2-0)

Links:
:. [LS Summary Game 1] : [LS Summary Game 2]
:. [CIS Boxscore Game 1] : [CIS Boxscore Game 2]

After the Thundermutts rolled past York and Ryerson it was hard to imagine them losing decisively in two straight games to a solid but unspectacular Windsor team. But that's what happened. The Mutts gave up 6 goals on 22 shots in game 2. Yikes. Windsor will now face the OUA East winner for the Queen's Cup, but are nevertheless assured of a berth in the University Cup. Lakehead could still get in as the OUA wild-card if they can win on the road against either Cartoon U or the McGilligutties.

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Former GG Abbott wins top goalie award

not sure where this should be posted

Russell Abbott U Ottawa's starting goalie for the past previous 2 seasons before leaving school to go farming has won the Top Goalie Award in the Saskatchewan Senior League. The top team will compete in the Alan Cup National Tournament being hosted by the Dundas Real McCoys in Dundas Ontario.

Last edited:

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
not sure where this should be posted

Russell Abbott U Ottawa's starting goalie for the past previous 2 seasons before leaving school to go farming has won the Top Goalie Award in the Saskatchewan Senior League. The top team will compete in the Alan Cup National Tournament being hosted by the Dundas Real McCoys in Dundas Ontario.

Which Saskatchewan Senior League? There are several.

Also, Shellbrook Elks have already won the Senior AAA Provincial title, however they still have to play the Southeast Manitoba Lightning (I believe) to get the Prairie slot in the tournament.

I believe the Saskatchewan Hockey Association is one of the few branches of Hockey Canada that do not have strictly one level leagues. I follow the Lloydminster Border Kings, who are eligible for the Allan Cup, as they participate at the AAA level. However, that is for Provincial playdowns only. Their league is the Sask West Hockey League and features no other AAA level teams, it has Kindersley, which plays A, Eatonia and Kerrobert play C, Luseland/Dodsland plays D and Unity, which doesn't play provincials.

Now this can change from year to year, however to play AAA, you have to have played A or AAA the previous season. The interesting thing is that teams will affiliate with lower level teams and bring in APs for Provincials. For instance the AAA Rosetown Redwings are affiliated with Kindersley. So players end up potentially playing in two playdowns plus league playoffs. The curious thing about league playoffs are that some teams play below their true level in provincials. For instance the Border Kings start the SWHL finals tomorrow against Luseland/Dodsland who played D this season.

Now to make this applicable to CIS, U of S F Shayne Neigum, left the Huskies in November and started playing for Kindersley. If you look at Rosetown and Kindersley's rosters or Lloydminster's before the 2012-13 season, avid followers of Canada West and in particular the U of S Huskies will see familiar names. As much as Senior Hockey is "amateur" really many of the players are paid per game to play. A few players I heard were making up to $1000 per game. So the lure of money has some of these players quitting school, working in the mining or oil field and being paid to play Senior. I've even seen the odd veteran bounce from the ECHL to a Senior AAA team then back to the ECHL over the course of a few years.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
I wasn't sure how the league qualifiers worked but you are right about players being able to make good money playing for certain teams. Recruited players in the Sask Sr leagues are provided with full time year round jobs, some get paid living accommodations and other perks. If you are a former minor pro or CIS player who needs to kick start their work careers and still wants to play a high level of hockey it's a good gig.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Neigum got a $1000 per game wow no wonder he left!
but looking at his stats in the WHL and CanWest what in heavens name do others get??
i remember reading names like Bubnick and Herrod Bortis leaving after the year last year...... if Neigums 2 points get him a grand holly mackeral batman what do the rest get. better yet how and where do these teams get that kind of coin? it is not like that here and we have good senior hockey. maybe a 1000 buck a game for the whole team not one guy that is crazy especially for a Neigum like athlete. that kind of cash would be tough to compete against. crazy numbers?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 9-10: Eastern finals wrap up

CONFERENCE/DIVISION FINALS

aus-2012-50x50.jpg

Acadia-A-50x50.jpg
SMU-2012-condensed.jpg

ACADIA AXEMEN 1
SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 2

ACADIA AXEMEN 3
SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 1

(Acadia wins AUS final 3-1)

Links:
:. [AUS Game 3 Summary] : [CIS Game 3 Boxscore]

:. [AUS Game 4 Summary] : [CIS Game 4 Boxscore]

I was about to write-up the OUA conclusion when I noticed I had not concluded matters after the CW was done and dusted. So here we go, starting with the AUS.

The series shifted to SMU for games 3 and 4. In game 3 the SMUskies dressed just 19 bodies, a victim of the AUS roster limits. The game was very defence-oriented, with just 47 combined shots on goal. A late Cajun goal broke a shut-out.

In game 4 the SMUskies were short two more healthy bodies. The game was slightly more offensive (59 combined shots) but still very tight. An empty-netter put the game away for the Cajuns.

OUA-50pxh-white.gif

McGill-50px.jpg
Carleton-50x50b.jpg

MCGILL REDMEN 2
CARLETON RAVENS 1

(McGill wins OUA East final 2-1)

Links:
:. [LS Summary]
:. [CIS Boxscore]

This was a "too-close-to-call" series all along and game 3 was, as expected, a tight one. The McGilligutties held a 2-1 lead after 2 periods and managed to kill the 3rd. Cartoon U thus misses a chance to move the OUA East title out of Quebec yet again.

McGill now faces Windsor for the Queen's Cup, with both sides headed to the nationals) and Cartoon U will face Lakehead for the OUA's wild-card spot at the nationals.

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

Last edited:

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
but looking at his stats in the WHL and CanWest what in heavens name do others get??
i remember reading names like Bubnick and Herrod Bortis leaving after the year last year...... if Neigums 2 points get him a grand holly mackeral batman what do the rest get. better yet how and where do these teams get that kind of coin? it is not like that here and we have good senior hockey. maybe a 1000 buck a game for the whole team not one guy that is crazy especially for a Neigum like athlete. that kind of cash would be tough to compete against. crazy numbers?

Community support is great in small prairie towns. A lot of ranchers have found oil and gas on their properties and can only buy so many combines. Not every team can do this and there is no paper trail. The big bonus is the well paying jobs that they set you up with. Most CIS and minor pro hockey players don't have much work experience on their resumes and experience in the oil industry can earn you six figures a year with no problem.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 15: Windsor wins Cup, Carleton gets wild-card

OUA-50pxh-white.gif

McGill-50px.jpg
windsor-50x50c.jpg

MCGILL REDMEN 2
WINDSOR LANCERS 3

Links:

The OUA East and West winners play a one-game final for the Queen's Cup. When a Quebec team qualifies, the Ontario team is automatically the home team. So this game was in Windsor.

The Lancers had a 3-0 lead after 55 minutes before the McGilligutties rallied to make it close. McGill outshot Windsor 52-38. Giving up 52 shots is not a formula for success in the nationals.

The win means Windsor is a seeded team for the nationals.

lakehead-wolf-50x50.jpg
Carleton-50x50b.jpg

LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 4
CARLETON RAVENS 7

Links:

This was the OUA's bronze medal game. When the OUA gets a 3rd spot at the nationals, their losing division finalists have a one-game bronze playoff like this. IMO, this wild-card playoff should also include Bedrock U and the SMUskies, the losing finalists from the CW and AUS. Or, better yet, making the nationals an 8 team event (like basketball and volleyball) and allow the host, 3 OUA, 2 CW, and 2 AUS teams to qualify each year.

Lakehead must be happy that they rebounded as much as they did this year, albeit in a situation where they fell one win short of a trip to Saskatown. Cartoon U dominated the game, meaning that after starting so hot the Thundermutts lost 3 straight.

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

Probable pools for the University Cup:
Daytime pool: Alberta, McGill, Carleton
Evening pool: Acadia, Windsor, Saskatchewan

Each pool will play a round-robin from Thursday to Saturday with the pool winners facing each other Sunday for the title.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon

I don't think he is pulling in that kind of cash, but some Senior players do. But I would have to think that some kind of cash was waived in front of his face to leave the Huskies. Then again, maybe it was academic problems that made him leave.

But I was told after the 2012 Allan Cup, the Lloydminster Border Kings would likely not ice a team that strong again. Apparently, it was too expensive to bring in guys like Steve DaSilva and Shawn Germain (who was signed away from the ECHL). This is also why they left the Chinook Hockey League and ended up in the Sask West Hockey League instead.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 20: Monkeys, Lancers win openers

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]
[CIS-SIC.tv: Watch On-line]

Alberta-50px.jpg
Carleton-50x50b.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
CARLETON RAVENS 2

Links:
:. [CIS Boxscore] : [CIS Recap/Photos]

I saw a good chunk of this one on-line. Why do the Primates seem to have a close opening game at the nationals despite out-shooting their opponent by a mile? This time it was 41-17 and Cartoon U looked like a Regina-calibre team. But when it stays close, anything can happen.

The McGilligutties will play Cartoon U on Friday, then meet the Monkeys on Saturday at 3:00 pm CDT on SportsNet 360.

Acadia-A-50x50.jpg
windsor-50x50c.jpg

ACADIA AXEMEN 2
WINDSOR LANCERS 4

Links:

I saw the 1st period and was expecting to see a convincing Cajun victory when I looked up the final score. But, lo-and-behold, Windsor turned things aroiund dramatically. Acadia must have run out of gas. Acadia outshot Windsor 10-4 in the 1st period, and Windsor turned the bales to outshoot Acadia 10-4 in the 3rd.

The Saskabush Banjo-Mutts will now face the Cajuns on Friday night, and Windsor Saturday night on SportsNet 360. After losing to UBC about a month ago, will they be rested or rusted? I believe they have a shot to win thus pool.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 21: Cartoon U and Cajuns sent packing

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

sportsnet-50x50c.jpg

[SportsNet U - Stories on Every Game]

Carleton-50x50b.jpg
McGill-50px.jpg

CARLETON RAVENS 2
MCGILL REDMEN 3

Links:

I could not watch this one but judging by the stats and reports it was as close as one would expect between these two rivals. The McGilligutties now meet the Monkeys on Saturday at 3:00 pm CDT on SportsNet 360.

Sask-green-50x50-1.jpg
Acadia-A-50x50.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 3
ACADIA AXEMEN 2

Links:

I called it. I suspected that despite a layoff the Mangy Ones would win their game against the game 1 loser. Tough exit for Acadia. The last time they qualified they also went 0-2 at the nationals. So Saturday night on SportsNet 360 at 8:00 CDT we will see the Mutts v Windsor.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 22: Welcome to the west!

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

sportsnet-50x50c.jpg

McGill-50px.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
MCGILL REDMEN 2

(in overtime)

Links:

I saw most of the 1st period and the end of the 3rd and overtime. Here's the story: Monkeys get puck into McGill zone, come close but miss, McGill either ices puck or in a fit of offence skate to centre and dump it in for a line change. Repeat. The final shot count was 55-20. Yet the McGilligutties were one shot away from the final. If one of those 3 shots in the 3rd period had gone through .... To me, McGill was just Regina with a hot goalie. They have some good players but they did not really challenge the Apes. The were not trying to win. They were trying to get the Monkeys to lose.

windsor-50x50c.jpg
Sask-green-50x50-1.jpg

WINDSOR LANCERS 0
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 9

Links:

Until today I had no nickname for Windsor. Now, I do: The Fire Hydrants. This was an exceptionally disappointing game. It made me long for the Lethbridge H0rny Ones. Still, Windsor must be happy that they won the OUA title and qualified for this tournament. A big step up for their hockey program.

Looking ahead, the final is Sunday at 2:30 CDT and will be shown on SportsNet nationally (i.e. on Pacific, West, Ontario, and Atlantic feeds). That means channel 47 in Winnipeg.

The Mangy Ones were severe undermutts coming into the tournament. However, I thought they were much improved in the 2nd half of the season. I expected them to beat UBC. However, the depth in the CW is under-rated. UBC barely scraped out 6th place yet they beat two NCAA teams (North Dakota and Princeton) during the Christmas break. This is why I don't like seeing te host team get a berth in a national tournament. I know, they do it to sell tickets. Still, two conference champions were knocked out by a team that lost a quarter-final playoff series. C'est la vie!

The Evil Monkeys are prohibitive favourites. They won all 4 regular season games against the Banjo-Mutts, and also beat them in pre-season. However, only one regular season game was more than a one-goal deficit. Here are the results, and links:

Head-to-head statistics: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawes...season_id=38&format=HTML&team=1&second_team=7
Oct. 18: Alberta 3-2: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1572
Oct. 19: Alberta 4-2: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1577
Jan. 10: Alberta 3-2: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1626
Jan. 11: Alberta 4-3: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1629

In 3 of the 4 games the shots were close, and in only one did Alberta dominate the way they did against Cartoon U and the McGilligutties.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 22: Welcome to the west!

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

sportsnet-50x50c.jpg

McGill-50px.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
MCGILL REDMEN 2

(in overtime)

Links:

I saw most of the 1st period and the end of the 3rd and overtime. Here's the story: Monkeys get puck into McGill zone, come close but miss, McGill either ices puck or in a fit of offence skate to centre and dump it in for a line change. Repeat. The final shot count was 55-20. Yet the McGilligutties were one shot away from the final. If one of those 3 shots in the 3rd period had gone through .... To me, McGill was just Regina with a hot goalie. They have some good players but they did not really challenge the Apes. The were not trying to win. They were trying to get the Monkeys to lose.

windsor-50x50c.jpg
Sask-green-50x50-1.jpg

WINDSOR LANCERS 0
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 9

Links:

Until today I had no nickname for Windsor. Now, I do: The Fire Hydrants. This was an exceptionally disappointing game. It made me long for the Lethbridge H0rny Ones. Still, Windsor must be happy that they won the OUA title and qualified for this tournament. A big step up for their hockey program.

Looking ahead, the final is Sunday at 2:30 CDT and will be shown on SportsNet nationally (i.e. on Pacific, West, Ontario, and Atlantic feeds). That means channel 47 in Winnipeg.

The Mangy Ones were severe undermutts coming into the tournament. However, I thought they were much improved in the 2nd half of the season. I expected them to beat UBC. However, the depth in the CW is under-rated. UBC barely scraped out 6th place yet they beat two NCAA teams (North Dakota and Princeton) during the Christmas break. This is why I don't like seeing te host team get a berth in a national tournament. I know, they do it to sell tickets. Still, two conference champions were knocked out by a team that lost a quarter-final playoff series. C'est la vie!

The Evil Monkeys are prohibitive favourites. They won all 4 regular season games against the Banjo-Mutts, and also beat them in pre-season. However, only one regular season game was more than a one-goal deficit. Here are the results, and links:

Head-to-head statistics: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawes...season_id=38&format=HTML&team=1&second_team=7
Oct. 18: Alberta 3-2: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1572
Oct. 19: Alberta 4-2: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1577
Jan. 10: Alberta 3-2: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1626
Jan. 11: Alberta 4-3: http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1629

In 3 of the 4 games the shots were close, and in only one did Alberta dominate the way they did against Cartoon U and the McGilligutties.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 23: Monkeys beat the Mutts

r_menshockey.gif

[CIS Hockey Site]

sportsnet-50x50c.jpg

Alberta-50px.jpg
Sask-green-50x50-1.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 1

Links:
:. [SportsNet U Game Story] : [CW Game Story]

The Monkeys have won yet another title. Woop-de-do. They dominated their opponents yet could not score. A year ago, that formula resulted in an opening game loss to a mediocre Waterloo team. This year, they barely escaped the so-so Cartoon U and McGilligutties. And then came Sask.

So how would it go in Saskatown? A rink full of people who drove their tractors to the rink and haven't had a bath or shower in months, possibly years.

Well, the Banjo-Mutts did show that they were the second best team in the tournament. They were outshot (36-21) but not dominated the way Cartoon U and the McGilligutties were. In fact, it looked like they might pull an upset. They were trailing 1-0 and were awarded a 5-minute powerplay. But instead of scoring, they gave up a short-handed goal. And that was your TSN turning point, even though the game was on SportsNet.

What does the tournament tell us about the CIS in general? Well, it confirms that the OHT36 rankings were basically correct. Although Acadia fell flat on their faces, that reflects solely upon them. The AUS were not allowed to send another rep. If they had, I have every reason to believe that the SMUskies would have done better. And how many ADs would want to play UNB for a $100,000 winner-take-all challenge?

Does this mean the CW suddenly got better? No. But it does show that Calgary was well within their rights to claim elite status, that Manitoba could have been good enough to win the OUA, and that MRU, UBC, and maybe even Regina could be one of those Brock/Waterloo/Windsor teams that go on a playoff roll and claim an OUA 2nd or 3rd berth.

And what about the OUA? The OUA West is competitive but the best (and worst) teams are in the OUA East. The OUA East's elite teams do seem to put together challenging pre-season schedules. But it seems to me that they could benefit by having more tough games throughout the season. When I saw the 3 OUA teams play, I was not thinking "here's an A level team". To me they were all B level. And it is hard to become an A level team by playing B level opposition.

During the SportsNet coverage of the Waterloo-Sask game the commentator said Waterloo had just 9 CHL Major Junior grads, whereas Sask had 20. Now, I have seen first-hand how the Bisons have cultivated Junior A players over the course of a couple of seasons to be top class players who have become captains (e.g. Workman and Wild), all-stars (e.g. Wood), and major award-winners (e.g. Christie). However, a steady flow of Major Junior talent is required if you want to produce a top level team. Even the 4th place Bisons had 18 players who came from either Major Junior, pro, or other universities.

When we look ahead to 2014-15, we hear that the CIS is considering making the hockey nationals an 8-team event, just like volleyball and basketball. I like that. Now we have to ask how teams will qualify. The current six teams are allocated like this:

1 - host
2 - AUS winner
3 - CW winner
4 - OUA winner
5 - OUA runner-up (theoretically getting the RSEQ berth)
6 - wild card to rotate between AUS, CW, and OUA

This year Sask was the host and the conference qualifiers were Acadia, Alberta, Windsor, and McGill. Carleton got the OUA's rotating wild-card berth. Bedrock U and the SMUskies would have qualified had it been their turn. In fact the SMUskies qualified last year on this basis.

I would bet that the CIS will simply stop the wild-card rotation and give one such spot to each conference. That would mean 3 spots to the OUA and 2 each to the AUS and CW, with only the host berth rotating. Given this year's results, both Bedrock U and the SMUskies would have qualified.

I would like to see the conferences capped at 3 berths in the nationals. This would mean that when an OUA team hosts the tournament there would be a playoff between the semi-final losers in the AUS and CW. But I doubt that will happen.

Anyhow, happy off-season everybody!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 27: Post-Season Exhibition Game

israel-50x50.jpg
Ryerson-R-50x50-1.jpg

TEAM ISRAEL 6
RYERSON RAMS 13

Links:
:. [Preview Story]
:. [Game Story]
:. [Video]

I heard about this game at the International Hockey (.net) boards but could not find anything at Ryerson's site, nor from any news link updates I get. But Thursday afternoon they played this game. For real! For Israel the game was in preparation for the World Group 2A tournament where they will face Serbia, Australia, Belgium, Estonia, and Iceland. Quite a diverse pool, I must say.

Israel is coached by former Montreal and Moose coach Jean Perron. He did not make he trip, but assistant Pat Flatley did.

CIS teams are not strangers to the international game. On February 10, 2010, Team Norway beat UBC 4-1 in a pre-Olympic warm-up game. [Link]

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Mar 31: Post-season News

CIS-2009-condensed.gif

The speculation on the format changes for national championships is true. SportsNet wanted, and got, a "Super Championship Weekend". Men's and women's basketball and hockey will hold their championships on the same weekend, with Saturday's semi-finals and Sunday's finals shown on live TV. That means 8 games on Saturday and 4 games on Sunday. I assume that SportsNet 1 will be used in addition to SportsNet 360 for this massive undertaking.

In hockey, the women’s and men’s CIS championships expand from six to eight teams and move from a pool-play format to a single-elimination competition, including quarter-finals, semifinals and final.

A bronze-medal match – which has always been played on the women’s side - also returns to the men’s tournament for the first time since a two-year tryout in 2003 and 2004. However, only the women’s championship will include a consolation round (semifinals and fifth-place game). The duration of both tourneys remains four days.

The six-team, two-pool format had been in place in CIS hockey since 1998 – the year the women’s game was added to the CIS program. Before 1998, the men’s season had culminated with a Final Four for 10 years (1988-1997), while various formats had been used prior to 1988.
2015 & 2016 men: 4 regional association champions (Canada West, OUA West, OUA East, AUS), 1 host (StFX in 2015 / Saint Mary’s in 2016), 1 assigned berth to Canada West, 1 assigned berth to OUA, 1 assigned berth to AUS.

I like the format change. However, I am not sure if moving everything onto one weekend is a good idea. If spread of 3 or 4 weekends one event would stimulate interest in the next. But they pay people to devise a marketing strategy for all this, so I'll wait and see.

Also, will conference hockey playoffs remain best-of-three (or best-of-five on occasion in the AUS)? Since conference finalists are assured places in the nationals, the conference final is perhaps of lesser importance.

Links:
:. [CIS Story]
:. [Reposted Story at CW] : [Reposted Story at U of M]

UBC-old-50x50-1.jpg

After rallying for a playoff berth, beating the Saskatchewan Mutts, and even beating potential NCAA champion UND Fighting Farmers, UBC has fired the coach. Milan Dragicevic is now looking for work. This is awkward, since he was leading the fund-raising charge to save the program. Hmmmm.

Links:
:. [UBC Story]

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
More Links

CIS-2009-condensed.gif

I found some more stories on the CIS, mostly on the format change for the nationals.

Links:
:. [Halifax Chronicle-Herald: CIS hockey tourney gets makeover]
:. [Halifax Chronicle-Herald: CIS priority should be all about promotion]
:. [Yahoo: CIS introduces Super Championship Weekend for basketball and hockey: here’s the pros and cons]
:. [SportsNet.ca: CIS tweaks hockey, basketball championships]

The first C-H story has quotes from two AUS coaches. IMO they miss the mark. Their concern is that after an opening loss, teams are eliminated after one game under the new format. Duh! The present format ensured that at least 3 teams were eliminated with one loss each year.

Glenn McDonald said:
“There will be two distinct casualties and all I can say is I hope it’s the seventh and eighth seed,” Saint Mary’s Huskies head coach Trevor Stienburg said in an interview Tuesday.

“I would feel awful for anybody who lost the first game, and it’s very easy to do. I think it’s very unfair to have a team fly in all the way from Alberta and they could be gone in one game.

“You have to respect the decision. We’ll try it out and see what happens. But no true hockey people are happy with it.”

Acadia head coach Darren Burns, who guided the Atlantic conference champion Axemen to last week’s University Cup in Saskatoon, said he “doesn’t have any objections” to the format change.

“I know some people are concerned about a lose-and-you’re-out scenario,” Burns said. “It seems to work with NCAA basketball. They get a lot of hype around it.”

Acadia lost 4-2 to the Windsor Lancers in its first game at last week’s nationals. The Axemen needed to beat the host Saskatchewan Huskies by at least three goals in their next game to even have a shot at playing in the championship final. They ended up losing 3-2.

“If you lose once now, you’re already behind the 8-ball,” Burns said. “I don’t think this new format deviates from that too much.”

The second C-H story dealt with the usual cost/benefit arguments and then turned to the marketing aspect. IMO this is where having SportsNet committed could be a big thing. But with NHL hockey dominating their Saturday nights, adding eight semi-final games might make it hard to squeeze it all in. Maybe a Monday night men's hockey final?

Chris Cochrane said:
But I’m wondering if too much attention is being focused on tournament format changes and not enough on what has become the real challenge for market-driven CIS sports.

That is the lack of effective promotion.

Why is it that the CIS offers the highest calibre of amateur hockey in Canada, yet in many areas struggles to meet the attendance numbers that would normally be associated with junior A hockey?

Why, in such a hockey-fixated nation, do CIS programs not better capitalize on the high-profile status of former major junior players for promotional reasons?

Why do many university officials passively accept that such a strong product as CIS men’s hockey isn’t being properly promoted in the sports marketplace or the local community, yet do little or nothing to help correct that situation?

The Yahoo story covers the ups and downs but adds some stats about the football viewership. IMO it might be better for hockey (at least) if TSN held the rights. For one thing, the same show on TSN doubles its ratings over SportsNet, and even more from SportsNet 360. Plus with TSN lacking a national hockey product they might have incentive to promote. Then again, SportsNet showed their commitment to the CIS by forking over the money.

Neate Sager said:
Sportsnet, with a media partnership that runs through 2018-19, is committed to giving university sports a bigger platform. The network's early returns have been lukewarm, though. English-language viewership for football's Vanier Cup in on Sportsnet 360 late November was about 65 per cent lower than it was for the 2012 championship that was aired on TSN's main channel as part of its 2012 Grey Cup coverage. At least there is a willingness to try something semi-halfway radical to break outside of the traditional CIS nice. It announced on Thursday that is going to pack its four basketball and hockey championships into the second week of March, with the hockey tournaments also adopting hoops' Final 8 format as previously reported by Eh Game.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I like the format change because it is something different. However, this really hurts the host team if they are out the first night of the tournament.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Alberta has made it to the University Cup 16 of the last 18 years...won 6 (1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2014)

guys
do u keep any other teams participation stats?
like in last 18 years what other teams have participated say 10 or more times.
ok so this bob guys know everything about the bears and it is pretty impressive but if it is the same 6 or 7 every time.....what does that say about any of the CIS Mens hockey or probably any Men's or Women's CIS leagues? i would guess that this trend of only a few good teams is the same in every sport? sad actually! speaks to the cash needed to compete i guess. OR a athletic programs head in the sand approach to competitiveness(manitoba!! and most recently UBC??)

I only ask because this 8 team format is really not going to change the landscape in my personal opinion.
rarely anyone other than the same 7 0r 8 have a chance go to this championship? and then only a couple capable of really winning it barring a fluke!?
i wasn't there the last few years ( was in TBAY) but a second place AUS team seemed week( and I mean Acadia this year)? 2 years in a row.As did all of OUA... and now the CIS is making sure three from OUA are there all the time? AB could win 20 in a row given that bob guys math.
unless of course a goalie has a weird night and stops 64 in a 2-1 win (which is apparently the only way AB loses).
and the one and done format referred to ...do the CIS people really think this will catch on like the basketball brackets in the NCAA. surely these people watch too much TSN and read too many cartoons.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->