Line Combos: 2013-14 Line Combos Thread

WhiteLight*

Call up Hoffman, Da Costa, Stone, Schneider, Petersson, Grant, Lawson and Wideman.

Ship out Michalek, Greening, Neil, Spezza, Kassian, Condra, Anderson, Corvo and Phillips.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Conacher - Pageau - Petersson
Grant - Smith - Schneider
Da Costa

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba
Wideman

Lehner
Lawson

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Stop playing Spezza with garbage (yes, that I causes michalek). He deserves one of Ryan or Mac. The guy is out producing turris in spite of his linemates, while turris is playing with the (by far) 2 best wingers on the team and is still putting up less points.

Maybe then the stache would give our best forward (ryan) more than 3rd line minutes too.

WhiteLight*

Stop playing Spezza with garbage (yes, that I causes michalek). He deserves one of Ryan or Mac. The guy is out producing turris in spite of his linemates, while turris is playing with the (by far) 2 best wingers on the team and is still putting up less points.

Maybe then the stache would give our best forward (ryan) more than 3rd line minutes too.

He got Mac for 5 games (or more?) and Spezza was still trash. Actually worse than ever.

He got 2 stints Ryan, and did absolutely nothing.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Last time he played with Ryan they dominated play. A period and a half later Ryan was off his line.

That trash Spezza is 3rd on the team in scoring while playing with the likes of Neil, Greening, and Conacher. Meanwhile turris is playing with our 2 best forwards. Not surprising one looks good while the other is getting **** on.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He got Mac for 5 games (or more?) and Spezza was still trash. Actually worse than ever.

He got 2 stints Ryan, and did absolutely nothing.

He played 101 mins with Mac and the line had 54.5% of the goals for, with a Corsi of 60%. Granted MacArthur seems to be a better match with Turris, but the line of Spezza with MacArthur was far from trash, and certainly not Spezza worse than ever. Spezza might not have been racking up points in those mins, but the line did what it needed to.

WhiteLight*

Last time he played with Ryan they dominated play. A period and a half later Ryan was off his line.

That trash Spezza is 3rd on the team in scoring while playing with the likes of Neil, Greening, and Conacher. Meanwhile turris is playing with our 2 best forwards. Not surprising one looks good while the other is getting **** on.

Spezza doesn't play with Neil and Greening. he plays with Michalek and one of Zibanejad/Conacher. That's the 2nd best set of wingers this team can offer, and he deserves NO BETTER than that because he's certainly worse than Turris at this point. Spezza was tried with Mac and Ryan, and no, not just for a period and a half, and he sucked and was far less effective with them than Turris.

Just save it. The whining about Spezza is unbelievable.

He played 101 mins with Mac and the line had 54.5% of the goals for, with a Corsi of 60%. Granted MacArthur seems to be a better match with Turris, but the line of Spezza with MacArthur was far from trash, and certainly not Spezza worse than ever. Spezza might not have been racking up points in those mins, but the line did what it needed to.

We know Mac is good at possession, this is not news or unexpected.

''the line did what it needed to''... uh, no. they didn't score.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Spezza doesn't play with Neil and Greening. he plays with Michalek and one of Zibanejad/Conacher. That's the 2nd best set of wingers this team can offer, and he deserves NO BETTER than that because he's certainly worse than Turris at this point. Spezza was tried with Mac and Ryan, and no, not just for a period and a half, and he sucked and was far less effective with them than Turris.

Just save it. The whining about Spezza is unbelievable.

We know Mac is good at possession, this is not news or unexpected.

''the line did what it needed to''... uh, no. they didn't score.

Well, actually, the line did score. Spezza did not get pts, but the line scored, more importantly, it scored more than the opposition, so yes, it was successful at doing exactly what is required to win games.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Spezza is playing against 2nd lines and 2nd pairings.

Turris is getting smothered with 1st liners, top pairings and shutdown players.

Opposing teams know we're a one line team.

The only time Spezza-Ryan looked good was when MacArthur was with them and it didn't look good because of Spezza.

WhiteLight*

Well, actually, the line did score. Spezza did not get pts, but the line scored, more importantly, it scored more than the opposition, so yes, it was successful at doing exactly what is required to win games.

?????????????

Exactly dude. Why do you think they should stay together then? The Turris line suffered too, are you going to take that into account? Of course not

thefatjesus*

I dont think he said the line was trash, rather Spezza was still trash. The line was decent because Macarthur played like Macarthur. I dont see why we would break up our top line, and if the coach plays Spezza with neil and condra that tells you what the coach thinks of spezzas play. But I think Milo/Conacher - Spezza - Zibanejad is our best bet with the players we have.

WhiteLight*

I dont think he said the line was trash, rather Spezza was still trash. The line was good because Macarthur played like Macarthur. I dont see why we would break up our top line, and if the coach plays Spezza with neil and condra that tells you what the coach thinks of spezzas play. But I think Milo/Conacher - Spezza - Zibanejad is our best bet with the players we have.

This, except I would stop catering to Spezza and stop spoon feeding him minutes. Give Zibanejad the 2nd C role and give Spezza the ''Zibanejad treatment''. Meaning slot Spezza wherever you need a body in the lineup.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Spezza is playing against 2nd lines and 2nd pairings.

Turris is getting smothered with 1st liners, top pairings and shutdown players.

Opposing teams know we're a one line team.

The only time Spezza-Ryan looked good was when MacArthur was with them and it didn't look good because of Spezza.

That line spent a total of about 18 mins together over the season, and that number includes incidental time on ice together caused by line changes. MacArthur has looked good with Spezza, (worse when Ryan was also there imo) but he's looked better with Turris. That may be the result of familiarity, or chemistry, but to say Spezza never looked good with MacArthur is false.

Spezza has clearly not been as good as he was in the past, so there's lots of room for criticism without having to exaggerate or make up stuff.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
?????????????

Exactly dude. Why do you think they should stay together then? The Turris line suffered too, are you going to take that into account? Of course not

I never said that the line should have stayed together, i merely pointed out that your comment that spezza was trash and worse than ever was false. Sorry if you don't like being called out.

I dont think he said the line was trash, rather Spezza was still trash. The line was decent because Macarthur played like Macarthur. I dont see why we would break up our top line, and if the coach plays Spezza with neil and condra that tells you what the coach thinks of spezzas play. But I think Milo/Conacher - Spezza - Zibanejad is our best bet with the players we have.

Well, for one thing, Turris doesn't regress too much without MacArthur, while Spezza's line does quite a bit better

metric|Turris With MacA|Turris W/O MacA|MacA w/o Turris
GF%|67.9|56.2|57.1
CF%|52.6|53.1|60.0
Pts/60|2.32|1.46|3.35

Metric|Spezza With MacA|Spezza W/O MacA|MacA w/o Spezza
GF%|54.5|34.1|67.7
CF%|60.0|47.5|53.1
Pts/60|1.18|2.09|2.16

By paring MacA with Spezza you get 2 lines producing well, although both centers have their pts/60 reduce. There is at least an argument for doing it.

Again, my point isn't that we should do it, just that we need to call a spade a spade. That pairing was not bad, and it didn't destroy Turris' line.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

I never said that the line should have stayed together, i merely pointed out that your comment that spezza was trash and worse than ever was false. Sorry if you don't like being called out.

He was still trash.

:help:

Are you saying during that span, while Spezza didn't score any points, he played well defensively and/or played a good puck possession game?

Come on dude.

I'm out, going to watch Paranormal activity 4

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
That line spent a total of about 18 mins together over the season, and that number includes incidental time on ice together caused by line changes. MacArthur has looked good with Spezza, (worse when Ryan was also there imo) but he's looked better with Turris. That may be the result of familiarity, or chemistry, but to say Spezza never looked good with MacArthur is false.

Spezza has clearly not been as good as he was in the past, so there's lots of room for criticism without having to exaggerate or make up stuff.

I was referring to the game against Buffalo. MacArthur-Spezza-Ryan played together for the first 2 periods. MacArthur and Ryan made that line look good.

In that same game the other line was Michalek-Turris-Conacher(maybe Zibby?) and was good still. Better than Michalek-Spezza-Conacher.

Not making up anything.

thefatjesus*

This, except I would stop catering to Spezza and stop spoon feeding him minutes. Give Zibanejad the 2nd C role and give Spezza the ''Zibanejad treatment''. Meaning slot Spezza wherever you need a body in the lineup.

honestly Id move Zib to 2nd C, and trade Spezza for 6 forward(s) to stack his wingers. People keep talking about getting Spezza a winger but with the players we have and are willing to move we cant get a great winger to play with him. Instead we can trade Spezza for that top 6 winger ++ and give Zib the chance to grow in the position he is best suited for.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
well, if we trade Spezza he'll be our 2C. I have this fantasy line of
Stewart - Zibanejad - Simmonds.. would be beastly, but we cant get both of those guys.

id like this.....weircioch and michalek for simmonds

and.......spezza for stewart++

thefatjesus*

id like this.....weircioch and michalek for simmonds

and.......spezza for stewart++

I like it, if we could get stewart + shattenkirk for Spezza..oh baby! Wed probobly have to add on both sides tho, maybe condra or more so gryba/corvo to help their hole on defense. they can add a 3rd or something small.

Mac - Turris - Ryan
Stewart - Zib - Simmonds
Conacher - Pageau - Stone
Greening - Smith - Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Shatty
Philips - Ceci

Last edited by a moderator:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is how you reduce the payroll while still getting bigger & better at both ends of the ice.

Greening -Spezza - Stone - Stone could be the missing link to gel with Spezza
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Zibanejad - Michalek
Z. Smith - Grant - Neil/Kassian
- against tougher teams Conacher comes out, Smith moves up into Conacher's spot & Kassian replaces Smith on LW on the 4th line.

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Methot - Gryba/Phillips
- trade Condra & Corvo for a bag of pucks & send Pageau back to Bingo

Lehner - Anderson

Othello*

We are basically playing without these players every game: Michalek,Greening, Condra,Kassian,Corvo and Phillips. Then we are left with
X Spezza X
Mac Turris Ryan
Conacher Zibby X
X. Smith. X

Our " top nine" consists of six players!

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Whenever I see Zibanejad play, he looks a like a centre to me. He's not bad on the wing but I think his overall offensive impact is better at centre. If I can see that with limited viewing, I wonder what Murray was thinking when acquiring Turris (it was a good deal just that it created a lineup issue). With Spezza, it would create a problem as Zibanejad was clearly going to progress quickly (i.e bottom 6 weak, lack of legit wingers). Michalek should stay on 3rd line, bring up Stone now, his offense is NHL ready.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
based on the success of the Zib line, my ideas.

MacArthur/Turris/Ryan
Hoffman/Spezza/Stone
Conacher/Zibanejad/Michalek
Greening/Smith/Condra
Kassian

Send Pageau down to call up Hoffman

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
based on the success of the Zib line, my ideas.

MacArthur/Turris/Ryan
Hoffman/Spezza/Stone (Defensively Atrocious, a line involving Spezza goes from bad to worse)
Conacher/Zibanejad/Michalek
Greening/Smith/Condra
Kassian

Send Pageau down to call up Hoffman

The Spezza line above...so :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad