2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Almost everyone on Team Canada looks awful, sadly. Not enough heart-and-soul players to complement/fire up the more skilled guys, and they don't seem to be playing with any sort of solid structure or game plan.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't be he's a defensive defenseman playing with players who can't play a lick of defense. He would look much better on a team that plays within a structure. Dont get me wrong he has been bad but this tournament means very little in terms of his hockey career.

This! There is NO reason to be a bit concerned about Bigras. If anything it should be encouraging that he made a team he wasn't supposed to have a chance at making this past summer.

Gaks*

This! There is NO reason to be a bit concerned about Bigras. If anything it should be encouraging that he made a team he wasn't supposed to have a chance at making this past summer.

This. For every bad play Bigras made he's made a really nice play or two. A lot of you are really pessimistic honestly. He'll be a good one. Top 4 for sure imo. Basically a 1st round pick so not exactly a steal... I'd rather have him than Erne for example.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
As posted earlier I've been to the Giants-Cougars game tonight. I'll share my impressions with you guys but I need to sleep now so you need to wait until tomorrow ;-)

member 116861

As posted earlier I've been to the Giants-Cougars game tonight. I'll share my impressions with you guys but I need to sleep now so you need to wait until tomorrow ;-)

Sweet! I would love to hear your opinion on the Giants. I haven't watched them play in a while. I had to stop watching because of the start of the NBA so I didn't have much time for them.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Sweet! I would love to hear your opinion on the Giants. I haven't watched them play in a while. I had to stop watching because of the start of the NBA so I didn't have much time for them.

Alright, just decided to post today. Not as sleepy as I was on the bus.

First of all, this is the first CHL game I've ever seen so I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to junior hockey. These are just my thoughts based on one game.

Geertsen (Giants): Had a solid game. Probably wouldn't have noticed him too much (other than his size) if I didn't have an extra eye on him but hey, that's what you probably want to hear about a 6'4 defender. Overall, he was - as the whole Giants defense - solid and able to handle the fast Cougars offense quite well. Good positioning and as the game went along he started throwing a couple nice hits here and there. The only negative aspect I noticed was his passing. Almost every time he tried to play a pass out of his own zone, he ended up icing the puck.

Bourke (Cougars): You could easily see he was one of the more talented guys on the ice. I was pretty impressed with the variety of skills he had to offer and how much the coach seems to rely on him. He was on the ice on the PK, at the point on the PP (once even for two shifts) and obviously on ES. Probably (one of) the best skater(s) on the ice tonight and also a good stickhandler. Was close to scoring a couple of times and also brought some grit to his game, including a minor penalty for a check to the head.

Giants in general: They were ok. Scored three goals over a span of ~6 minutes to make it 4-1 in the second period. Other than those 6 minutes, in which they dominated but also got a bit lucky on the second goal (a weak backhand, goalie would definitely want this one back), they did not create very much offense. The first period, I thought, was pretty much even with maybe a slight edge to the Giants. They came out strong in the second period but after giving up a late goal on the PK, the Cougars were the better team for the rest of the game. Nevertheless, you have to give Vancouver credit for not giving up too many scoring chances, focusing on defense and handling the Cougars offense pretty well. They played a disciplined game down the line against an apparently (looking at the standings here) weak team and finally deserved the win without having an awesome game.

___
I'll probably go and catch one or two more games (vs Kelowna on the 3rd of January and/or vs Tri-City on the 5th) and if there is some interest I might again post my thoughts on Geertsen and the Giants.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for posting, I've been looking forward to your report of the game. I'd enjoy to hear thoughts from any other games you attend. I try to check the CHL boxscores to see how the prospects are doing but an in person report is so much better.

What kind of roles does Geertsen play, PK, PP, etc? Also is he top pairing, top 4 D? Any more to the story with the check to the head penalty from Bourke? You said he plays with some grit, is he a chippy player, does he go over the edge? He just served a 3 game kneeing suspension, so I'm wondering more about this side of his game.

member 116861

Thanks for posting, I've been looking forward to your report of the game. I'd enjoy to hear thoughts from any other games you attend. I try to check the CHL boxscores to see how the prospects are doing but an in person report is so much better.

What kind of roles does Geertsen play, PK, PP, etc? Also is he top pairing, top 4 D? Any more to the story with the check to the head penalty from Bourke? You said he plays with some grit, is he a chippy player, does he go over the edge? He just served a 3 game kneeing suspension, so I'm wondering more about this side of his game.

From what I have seen Geertsen plays PK but no PP. He is on the middle pairing although that might have changed.

Also thanks, Kschey for the summary.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
From what I have seen Geertsen plays PK but no PP. He is on the middle pairing although that might have changed.

Also thanks, Kschey for the summary.

Yep, that's right. PK yes, PP no and he played on the middle pairing. 1st pairing: Thrower and No 3, 2nd pairing: Geertsen and No 4. Still seemed to have a lot of ice time because a few PKs and being double-shifted when other defenders were in the penalty box.

@Tigervixxen: From my angle it was difficult to judge the minor penalty he received. Other than that I didn't notice any cheapshots or similar stuff from Bourke, I was just surprised to see him finish off as many hits as he did despite being a rather smaller player.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I know it's kind of un-related to this thread since he's not our prospect but I really like Jack Eichel. Where does he look to be ranked?

On topic: Butcher now on the #1 PP.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks guys, good stuff.

Butcher is fun to watch on the PP.

Eichel is looking to go #2 behind McDavid, might even challenge him for #1. Was just reading on the 2015 draft last night, another very strong year, especially the top 5.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I know it's kind of un-related to this thread since he's not our prospect but I really like Jack Eichel. Where does he look to be ranked?

On topic: Butcher now on the #1 PP.

Ah nvm, didn't know he was a 2015. Shows how much I pay attention to draft picks 2 years in advance.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
USA looks a good amount better than Canada so far.

Canada is a bit faster and has more talent but USA is a well rounded roster and looks like they have more chemistry and a better system.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He is #3. I would assume he won't see hardly any ice time unless there is an injury.

With Reinhart back I doubt he'll play much.

USA looks a good amount better than Canada so far.

Canada is a bit faster and has more talent but USA is a well rounded roster and looks like they have more chemistry and a better system.

USA looks a lot faster IMO. The game it self hasn't been that great, lack of urgency. Canada probably gassed emotionally after Slovakia

RE McDavid vs Eichel... Connor is a hockey year younger than Eichel. I doubt Eichel over takes him for the #1 pick.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the game has been great. Scoring chances but both teams playing hard. USA is the better team but I feel like Canada is going to pull out a win.

I doubt it will be anyone but McDavid at #1 too, just that's how strong the top picks in 2015 are supposed to be.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
2 things. Dumba plays a lot like Subban IMO. But his highs aren't as high. And his lows are even lower. Very selfish in the irresponsible decisions he makes though.

Horvat has been quite poor with the puck this game. Countless passes and shots that are direct turn overs.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I love Butchers play so far in this tournament. Smart, quick and always gets back. All of his pinches are well timed.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
For Philadelphia's sake they better hope the Scott Laughton we're seeing in Malmo isn't the one they drafted. He's been nothing but an offensive black hole that has taken a dumb penalty or two.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't think Copp touched that, so I think Butcher should get another assist.

Edit: He did on the offical scoring.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Butcher gambles a bit at times, but it seems USA wants their defense to play aggressive in transition defense and pinch a lot.

He does make good quick decisions with the puck. Lots of one touch plays.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Canada and United States will definitely not win gold this year, going to be fact.

- Gillies is going to be USA's biggest downfall.
- Canada pulling a Detroit and somehow getting all the bounces, won't happen in every game. They should've lost to Slovakia and they should've lost to USA in this game.

I really like Butcher.....risky player, but keeps on playing a risky game with no fear. Let me tell you he doesn't play this risky at DU, must be coaching style.

@D2M: I don't understand the one year older stuff? I mean is it Eichel's fault that he was born out of be 2014 draft?!? I can definitely tell you that him versus McDavid is more along the lines of Taylor/Tyler than Crosby/Ryan.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Canada and United States will definitely not win gold this year, going to be fact.

- Gillies is going to be USA's biggest downfall.
- Canada pulling a Detroit and somehow getting all the bounces, won't happen in every game. They should've lost to Slovakia and they should've lost to USA in this game.

I really like Butcher.....risky player, but keeps on playing a risky game with no fear. Let me tell you he doesn't play this risky at DU, must be coaching style.

@D2M: I don't understand the one year older stuff? I mean is it Eichel's fault that he was born out of be 2014 draft?!? I can definitely tell you that him versus McDavid is more along the lines of Taylor/Tyler than Crosby/Ryan.

You are a WHL scout and you don't understand why an extra year of development would make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad