2012 WJC format change?

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Now that my Danish team has been promoted to the top flight for the 2012 WJC I have heard rumblings that the format will be changed for the 2012 championships. I can't find any info on what the new format will look like. I have heard that only one team will be relegated.

If you have a link to the new format or you can otherwise shed some light on it for me it will be much appreciated.

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
The congress was informed about new competition format for all IIHF World Championship categories, pertaining to Divisions I and below. The format will be vertical as opposed to horizontal. For example: On the Division I men’s level the A Group will consist of teams ranked 17-22 while the B Group will consist of teams ranked 23-28. Promotion to the top division will only be conducted from the A Group. The winner from the B Group will be promoted to the A Group.

The current system has the A and B groups in all categories being equal. As this change implies a modification of the IIHF Bylaws, an extraordinary General Congress will vote on this during the 2011 Annual Congress in Bratislava. If approved, the new format will be implemented for the 2011-2012 season.

http://www.iihf.com/sk/home-of-hock...cle/new-format-for-iihf-worlds.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=251&cHash=da14967c58

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
The congress was informed about new competition format for all IIHF World Championship categories, pertaining to Divisions I and below. The format will be vertical as opposed to horizontal. For example: On the Division I men’s level the A Group will consist of teams ranked 17-22 while the B Group will consist of teams ranked 23-28. Promotion to the top division will only be conducted from the A Group. The winner from the B Group will be promoted to the A Group.

The current system has the A and B groups in all categories being equal. As this change implies a modification of the IIHF Bylaws, an extraordinary General Congress will vote on this during the 2011 Annual Congress in Bratislava. If approved, the new format will be implemented for the 2011-2012 season.

http://www.iihf.com/sk/home-of-hock...cle/new-format-for-iihf-worlds.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=251&cHash=da14967c58

I like this. DivI A becomes a pretty good level of hockey to watch then, and the promotions will be influenced less by tiebreakers in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->