2012 Subway Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very good job by Russia turning it up in the third. I hope that Spott noticed that the recent Canadian strategy of sitting back in the third after outplaying the opposition isn't all that great.

Only two players in the game interested me. I do not get why Yakupov insists on doing everything for his team. There is no need for him to individually rush the puck like that, it isn't peewee. Also, Koekkoek displayed every negative trait that Murphy is supposed to have, and then much worse.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
ha-ha no s....but Canada is doing a great job keeping him frustrated, he needs to learn, that he can still be helpful, even when double teamed and shut down, it comes with experience.

He needs to use his teammates more. Once he gets to Edmonton that should help, he won't be the top dog.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
I didn't like the Koekkoek and Murphy pairing all night, just seemed like things always got dangerous/sloppy with them on. I keep trying to give Murphy the benefit of the doubt, I hear a lot of praise for him but it seems like every game I've watched of him he hasn't been impressive overall. I can tell the kid has some amazing offensive skills, but from what I've seen of him he really shouldn't be there during the WJC. That said, I've only seen about 15 games of him, maybe I caught all 15 bad games.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
5 goals on 10 shots in the 3rd period of that collapse in Buffalo. Wedgewood was the goat last year, with 4 goals allowed on 13 shots. Visentin allowed another 2 on 9, after coming in. My point is, our goaltending has been terrible of years. What about Jake Allen in 2010? At least we have Subban, but I'm tired of the coaching staff giving the others a chance when they're clearly not at his level. Happened in the Junior Summit a few months ago too.

Doesn't mean it was his fault they lost. Canada's defense was horrible in the third period collaspe, Visentin left out to dry everytime. Hay last year who's defense first style didn't help the goalies.

It's funny that the most offensive orriented coach Canada has had in years with his favourite defensemen being an offensive defensemen coached one of the better defensive hockey games I've seen from Team Canada in awhile.

Agreed. Nothing new though.

The guy is the biggest puck hog at critical moments in a game.

Not sure what you're talking about. The end to end rush at the end when none of his teammates got open. He wasn't the only offensive player shutdown, but of course he'll get the most critcism.

Let's not forget that for most of the game Murphy was part of the reason the OHL was shutting the Russians down, was no more to blame on the second goal than the other defensemen and Binnington (Who never should have let that in).

So what are you going to critcize him for? Not producing, could say the same about everyone else. Defensively? Guess it's easy to pick one turnover, but his partner wasn't much better on that play (Where was he? Murphy got back right away even after falling down). You can pick out numerous other players who will likely make team Canada that are guilty of those things.

And before someone decides to call me a homer or even a Carolina fan, never said he was great, but let's not start criticizing him when there was guys who played worse (Like Ceci, you talk about Murphy being a puckhog, does Ceci ever pass when he has the puck on the point, he seems to shoot every time, at bad times).

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Canada controlled the play most of the game but was doing too little offensively. Almost seemed sorta disinterested. Credit to the Russians for being opportune scorers.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Yakupov is trying to do too much. He needs to simplify his game when he's getting smothered like he is in this series.

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
My thoughts on the game...
Koekkoek and Murphy were not good. They just are not good defensively and did nothing offensively tonight to justify the risk. The other four dmen have enough offensive ability, with defensive reliability to compensate.
Ritchie was good, but bone head play at the end.
Jenner was solid, but we need more
Leivo and Graovac both could serve to move their feet more. Leivo in particular always seems to be stationary. good game, but the room for improvement is evident.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
My thoughts on the game...
Koekkoek and Murphy were not good. They just are not good defensively and did nothing offensively tonight to justify the risk. The other four dmen have enough offensive ability, with defensive reliability to compensate.
Ritchie was good, but bone head play at the end.
Jenner was solid, but we need more
Leivo and Graovac both could serve to move their feet more. Leivo in particular always seems to be stationary. good game, but the room for improvement is evident.

I really hope you didn't just call Koekkoek bad defensively.

Besides, Ceci was likely the worst Canadian defensemen tonight. He probably had the most turnovers and had increadibly bad decision making with regards to shooting the puck. Almost every time it was blocked.

I hear you, don't know why they'd be content with Subban only getting seven shots when Binnington can play next week.

And I love Ryan Murphy but he doesn't look great when he plays for Canada.

He's played for team Canada twice, and the first time he was Canada's best player (Spring U18) , the second time (Superseries) he was arguably the best player. This game he was quiet, not sure how that translates to bad playing for Team Canada.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
He's played for team Canada twice, and the first time he was Canada's best player (Spring U18) , the second time (Superseries) he was arguably the best player. This game he was quiet, not sure how that translates to bad playing for Team Canada.

Every single thread Murphy is in you freak out on anyone who doesn't compliment him. It's ridiculous, what's your deal with him, are you his best friend from back home, why are you always so irrational whenever he comes up? Not everyone is going to agree with you, people have different opinions, people watch each game differently. It's like I said, I have not seen Murphy play well once out of 15 games I've watched. That said, there are many who have watched him and really liked his game, probably during some of the same games I didn't. That's the way it goes, don't get so worked up over it.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I really hope you didn't just call Koekkoek bad defensively.

Besides, Ceci was likely the worst Canadian defensemen tonight. He probably had the most turnovers and had increadibly bad decision making with regards to shooting the puck. Almost every time it was blocked.

I know he was great at the Under 18s, Superseries I thought he was up and down. Last year at the World Juniors camp it sounded like he was pretty bad.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I keep forgetting he's American...but even then I'm not really familiar with the format of this tournament...is it only open to Canadian players from their respective junior leagues?

His father was a former Soviet national team player, so you're not far from right.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I know he was great at the Under 18s, Superseries I thought he was up and down. Last year at the World Juniors camp it sounded like he was pretty bad.

Superseries he had one so-so game, and the rest were good games. We had one person who watched the camp say he was bad and a bunch of people jumped on him saying "I told you so" then one of the scouts on the board posted they thought he was good but was clearly not comfortable playing the style Hay wanted. The World Junior camp before that it was made well known that two of the best defensemen in camp were Murray and Murphy.

Every single thread Murphy is in you freak out on anyone who doesn't compliment him. It's ridiculous, what's your deal with him, are you his best friend from back home, why are you always so irrational whenever he comes up? Not everyone is going to agree with you, people have different opinions, people watch each game differently. It's like I said, I have not seen Murphy play well once out of 15 games I've watched. That said, there are many who have watched him and really liked his game, probably during some of the same games I didn't. That's the way it goes, don't get so worked up over it.

I find it ironic when people tell me I'm getting mad/freaking out while those same people are hurderling personal attacks with little substinence to their arguments.

I'm sure you've "seen" him 15 times, and if you can remember the exact amount of times you've seen him, I'm sure you can describe where those games where, who they were against. Maybe you watched Ryan Murphy the Hollywood screenwriter play field hockey and are confusiong the two. I find it funny the argument for someone saying a player sucks is "I've seen this player X amount of times, so I know what I'm talking about and you don't".

I won't debate that you've seen him, but please stop making things up saying "I've seen him 15 times and he's been horrible all 15 times" because that's clearly made up. I could watch the worst player in the NHL play 15 games and he's not going to have 15 bad games, let alone one of the best players in the CHL.

I've seen Murphy play probably 60% of his games since he came into the OHL and I would say only about a dozen of those games I would consider bad (No a turnover does not make a bad game, else guys like Weber and Doughty would be pretty bad defensemen. Average games? Sure lots of them, every player has them, nobody can expect to play a good game all the time, but the chances of you seeing him 15 times, all 15 times being bad games, isn't just unlikely, it's statistically improbable. That's like saying you polled 15 people about the political party they support the most and all 15 saying the Green Party.

With players like Murphy, all it takes is one person saying they're a 4th forward (Look back to his draft year, most people hadn't watched him but it took one guy saying he's a 4th forward. These boards jump on players who aren't defense first and assume they can't play defense when it's far from the truth. You see what you want to see, not what actually happens. Case in point people who thought he played bad when he dominated those Super-Series games, despite getting praise from scouts and media who didn't have that HFBoards bias.

I don't mind people critcising a player, I don't like when people use a bad argument like "I've seen him X amount of times and he's been bad that many times". It's almost always lying, and it's never a good argument. Especially considering you probably watched this game so you're saying Murphy was bad which is pretty ridiculous. Guess 21 other players had a bad game too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad