2012 playoffs may have staggered starts

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Apr 25, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

2. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Bring Back Ties!

Home Page:
    Awesome. Hope they go with it.

3. LPHabsFan

LPHabsFan Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Personally I don't think this is such a great idea. First and foremost I think the thing that gives credibility to networks like CBC and TSN is the quality of their pre/post game and intermission reports. Versus has gotten better but NBC is still crap. As simple as this sounds, part of the problem for Versus is imo the fact that their standing. The other network guys are all sitting and it gives a more relaxed feel and comes off less in your face. But that's just me.

But aside from that, I'd rather see them invest in a second network or figure out a way to broadcast games on a sister network so that all games can be shown. Here in Canada, if there are four games on a given night, there is a way to watch it on digital tv. CBC will show an early and a late game and so will TSN. Even if the games go into overtime, CBC will stream them or show them on a different and CBC will show their second game on TSN2. Even when there was 5 games there was that along with the different regions on CBC. So rather than have staggered times which imo makes things more complicated, I think a better solution would be a second or sister broadcast channel.

4. Inkling

Inkling Same Old Hockey

No problems as long as they remember that there are real humans attending the games, and they have jobs and commutes and children etc. etc. If they stagger games between 7 pm and 7:30 (on weekdays) that would be ok and should be enough to avoid going to intermission at the same time. If they go crazy and ask people to show up at 6 pm or something, that would not be good.

The CBC would probably just ignore it. All the games are on up here and people seem to enjoy Coaches Corner and the Hotstove. If people want to watch a different game during intermission they can just change the channel.

5. IU Hawks fan

IU Hawks fan They call me IU

NBC has already announced that ALL games will be aired on one of their networks in the playoffs.

As an example, a night with 5 games I think will look something like this .

First east game @ 7 eastern - VS
    Next east game @ 7:15 - CNBC
    Next east game @ 7:30 - MSNBC
    Central time game @ 8 - USA
    West game at 10 - VS (or starting on 1 of the other 3 if VS game is in OT

They stagger the starts to make it like the NCAA Tournament, where you get to see the ending of almost every game. So when the first game ends on VS, they switch to the 2nd game, and when the 2nd game ends to the 3rd, etc. Then they utilize the other channels so you watch every game from the start.

6. KevFu

KevFu Registered User

California from Rochester via New Orleans
    which will be great until a game goes to 2OT and everyone's ticked!

7. PensFan1253

PensFan1253 Registered User

Supergenius
    In that scenario, TSN in Canada would be fine. The CBC would get the shaft, though

8. He Lied to Mario

He Lied to Mario Registered User

Not when Montreal/Boston and Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh were playing on the same day. Wasn't CBC streaming the TB/Pitts game? Or were they showing it on Bold or one of those channels? I didn't think they were.

9. Buck Aki Berg

Buck Aki Berg Done with this place

Bacon sampler.
    I've never heard anyone say "Dammit, double overtime...."

10. edog37

edog37 Registered User

I'm all for this staggered start showcasing the playoffs....:handclap:

We all know the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the best playoffs in the sporting world, so why not do everything to enhance it. A staggered start already means a full buffet of non-stop hockey from about 6 PM to 1AM EST. Who would be opposed?

11. IU Hawks fan

IU Hawks fan They call me IU

No, because you could simply change the channel to one of the other 5 channels they can start the game on.

12. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I'm already salivating at the thought of this. Bring it on.

13. Koss

Koss Registered User

Home Page:
    Then you've never been around an NBC executive the day the Kentucky Derby runs.

14. Koss

Koss Registered User

Home Page:
    It's obvious that the Canadian fan and the US fan enjoy broadcasts of the game differently. If the new NBC model works for the US fan then they should do and I wish them the best of luck. Personally, I don't enjoy games boradcasts in the US, and I never have. They just feel different.

As a long time HNiC fan if I enjoy watching Coach's Corner, Hotstove, Idesk and Afterhours. I wouldn't want to give up the analysis and hockey talk for more 'non-stop' action.

15. mouser

mouser Business of Hockey

Sounds like a good idea to me. It's never wrong to have more hockey to watch.

16. Roomtemperature

Roomtemperature Registered User

Or a Canadian hockey writer.

17. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

:laugh: At least they have announced **in advance** how the OT overflow would work (so you can set your DVR "exactly" to record the full game, even with channel swaps).

It's also possible to have conflicts with the Preakness Stakes (5/21) and Belmont (6/11). (Derby will be run 5/7 this year.)

18. bosshogg18

bosshogg18 Registered User

Growing up in the Seattle area, we got CBC. Even to this this day if a game is on both Vs. and CBC, I will always watch the CBC feed, even thought Vs. has a clearer picture, because the commentary and the intermission coverage is so much better.
    If the NBC/Vs. is going to start overlapping games, they need to have more channels to put them on. For example, people were complaining about OT and double OT, etc. The reason being is, if some game you don't care about goes into OT, you are stuck watching that game instead of the start of a game you care about. ESPN is good about starting games on one of their other channels until the first game ends, then switching it back to the original channel. If this is not possible NBC/Vs. at minimum needs to do some sort of picture in picture.
    I just wish the NHL would have worked out deals with multiple networks, similar to the other 3 major sports leagues with ESPN, FOX, TNT, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.
    I just hope one day, cable/satellite packages will allow U.S. viewers to get more Canadian channels as part of their package. Canadians already get a lot of U.S. channels, it would be nice to have it reciprocated.

19. OthmarAmmann

OthmarAmmann Omnishambles

Not married?

20. sh724

sh724 Registered User

You do know comcast owns more channels than any other company in the world? They won't have any trouble putting games on multiple channels

21. edog37

edog37 Registered User

I am, which is why we have more than one TV in the house....