NHL Entry Draft: 2012 NHL Mock Draft - 2 Rounds: March Madness Edition (THW)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
2012 NHL Mock Draft: March Madness Edition (Picks 1-15) up at The Hockey Writers

Part 1:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl-mock-draft-march-madness-edition-picks-1-15/

Explanations with each selection provided.

Part 2: Picks 16-30
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl-mock-draft-march-madness-edition-picks-16-30/

Part 3: round 2:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2012-nhl-mock-draft-2nd-round-march-madness-edition/

Do you see things differently? Play armchair head scout/GM!

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Posted it in the article...but no way. NO WAY Anaheim drafts Rielly when they're already pinning their hopes on Fowler. Not to mention the fact that we've already got Schultz and Vatanen on the way...plus at least one more year of Visnovsky.

I understand drafting BPA, and I won't get into how Rielly is NOT the BPA at 7 because it's just going to be piss fight of opinions...but you also don't draft to have a surplus.

Ducks would either take Trouba (balance out the blueline with strong shut down defending + offense), Forsberg (Murray loves Swedish forwards), or just trade down and pick a guy like Faksa or something and add some futures in the process.

I would puke at the sight of a defense that looked like

Fowler-Rielly
Schultz-Vatanen
Visnovsky-Sbisa

might as well call it the "extra forwards"

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
I doubt Forsberg will still be on the board when the Leafs make their pick but I would be happy if he was. My guess is they will end up with Radek Faksa.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
I doubt Forsberg will still be on the board when the Leafs make their pick but I would be happy if he was. My guess is they will end up with Radek Faksa.

Agreed grits207 - depending on their actual draft slot of course. Brendan Gaunce might also be a candidate. Who knows at this point with the disarray going on at the moment.

I'm not a fan of drafting goalies in the first round but maybe they go way off the board and take Malcolm Subban!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Duckjet: appreciate the comment and breakdown.

I see where you're coming from, but it's not like Rielly stepping in next year.

As well, don't count on Schultz in a Ducks uniform:
Link: http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/...s-hockey-Schultz-passes-NHL-resume-classes-UW

Still. Fowler and Visnovsky is more than enough OFD. Vatanen or Schultz being added would make us seriously soft. Vatanen-Fowler will be enough even without Schultz. Rielly again will add to the softness. We'll take the 10-20 fewer points Trouba will score in exchange for his grit, checking, and shutdown abilities over Rielly.

With Fowler in the lineup Rielly is hardly a "can't pass" prospect.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
We'll have to agree to disagree, DuckJet.

Visnovsky won't be around forever.

But...there are definitely plenty of options for the Ducks. Rielly is just one, and there's loads to consider as scouts state their case for "their" guy.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
We'll have to agree to disagree, DuckJet.

Visnovsky won't be around forever.

But...there are definitely plenty of options for the Ducks. Rielly is just one, and there's loads to consider as scouts state their case for "their" guy.

I guess from my point of view - I simply have a hard time seeing the Wild pass up on Trouba or Forsberg to pick up Reinhart. I actually really like GR, and I think we'll be picking earlier than ranked here, but I guess I see more potential if you're looking D from Trouba or Reilly.

Analyzer*

As a hab fan draft Grigs, Forsberg, or Gally + Wilson is a dream come true.

Wilson might not pan out, but getting one of the above players + we have another 2nd you have to take this chance on Wilson.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks can do worse than Rielly and Smith, but...if I had to bet I would say that if the Ducks finished 7th (looking like 5th now) they'd be going with

1st: Trouba/Forsberg/or Faksa
2cd: Sissons/Frk/Pokka/or Severson

But if it's 5th I'm gonna go ahead and say Galchenyuk and Kerdiles. Second line center hole filled, plus talented forward from Irvine, California. Local kid can get it done.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Ducks can do worse than Rielly and Smith, but...if I had to bet I would say that if the Ducks finished 7th (looking like 5th now) they'd be going with

1st: Trouba/Forsberg/or Faksa
2cd: Sissons/Frk/Pokka/or Severson

But if it's 5th I'm gonna go ahead and say Galchenyuk and Kerdiles. Second line center hole filled, plus talented forward from Irvine, California. Local kid can get it done.

Actually very likely scenario, DuckJet!

grits207

Jun 24, 2009
Saint John, N.B.
Option 2 is ok but I really don't have a big problem with the current lottery system. The only change I'd like to see is a rule to prevent teams from getting a bunch of really high picks in a row (ie. if you get a top 5 pick one year then your pick in the next years draft can't be any higher than 6th).

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
If the Blues come out of this draft with Samuelsson and Slepyshev in the first two rounds, that would be just fine by me. I like Matteau and Bozon as options, too, because of their "legacy" status with the Blues.

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad