WC: 2012 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Ah ok, thks for information. So there will be no more a qualification round? Do they play in each group against each other and the first four in every group are qualified for the quarterfinal?

Quarterfinals are then:

1st group A - 4th group B
4th group A - 1st group B
2nd group A - 3rd group B
3rd group A - 2nd group B

Is that correct?

Yes, you play seven games in the first round and the first four advance to the quarterfinals.

Sadly, at least for the next two tournaments, the quarterfinals will be held in the groups, not crossing over. So 1A plays 4A and so on. It's supposed to prevent teams from travelling more than necessary.

I hope they will change that for 2014, when it's back to only one host again.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Will there be more boats cruising to Sweden and cheap flights between Helsinki and Stockholm, because the trains or busses wont be an option as they usually are between the two cities of World Championships.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
anyone think that they're will be tickets still left by around october/november time for the game in finland ??

Stanleyjub

Oct 24, 2009
hockey
Hartwall-arena
hartwall-arena-finsko1.jpg

Hartwall_arena.jpg

Globen
globen2.jpg

Globen.jpg

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Group A is pretty tough, but it's good for the sport as either Germany or Norway advances to the game of death again.

mrSlot

Jan 18, 2009
tsürii
I ll be there, in helsinki ;)

I`m very happy to be able to see swiss and finland playing in the same city... my third visit to the hartwall arena! :yo:

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Its Raimo Helminen in the Ceremony right after hes last National team game. He is probably Greatest legend of Finnish hockey, even while he's not that known for example in North America. He played in Finnish national team in and between the years 1984-2008. He had something like over 300 games in national team, most points ever ect.

Also he has played in six olympics, and it stands as a World record. He has ten medals in World Championship and Olympics. One of them is gold, six silver. More than from hes achievements however, he is known from hes "gretzky-like" ability to see the game and make clever and great passes. He is specially known from "Raipen lätty" (Raipe's saucer passes).

After that game they freezed hes jersey and had other ceremonies, including that whats happening in my avatar. In Finland, Helminen will forevere be one of the greatest ever to play hockey.

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. It's always cool to learn some hockey history from other countries. Have fun hosting, I know your fans will do Finland proud (same goes for Sweden).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad