WC: 2012 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
i think finland hosts the 2012 gold medal game and sweden the 2013 gold medal game

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
Hosted in Stockholm, Sweden and Helsinki, Finland.

Anyone already with plans on attending the medal round games?

Also, which city hosts the the Gold Medal game?

im thinking of going to a few games in helsinki and the gold medal match is held in helsinki

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
i think finland hosts the 2012 gold medal game and sweden the 2013 gold medal game

Aye
I wonder what's the host city for 2013 from Finland will be as the new Tampere arena wont be ready before 2014.
I'll try to get tickets for the 2012 and if they are held again in Helsinki in 2013 i'll try to get some tickets for that too. Not liking the prices so far though.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Aye
I wonder what's the host city for 2013 from Finland will be as the new Tampere arena wont be ready before 2014.
I'll try to get tickets for the 2012 and if they are held again in Helsinki in 2013 i'll try to get some tickets for that too. Not liking the prices so far though.

According to Wiki for 2013:

Host cities have been confirmed as Globe Arena, Stockholm (13,850 permitted seats) and Hartwall Arena, Helsinki (13,506 permitted seats). Capacity has been permitted to these numbers due to modern health and safety rules. Malmö Arena were originally planned to co-host according to the Swedish bid, but the Swedish Hockey Federation decided to drop Malmö as a host city under pressure from the Malmöphobic Sweden Democrats when there was decided for a collaboration between Sweden and Finland[1]. Tampere was also a candidate to be the Finnish venue, but due to the delay in construction of the new Tampereen Keskusareena Helsinki was named as co-host.[2]

So the same as 2012 looks like

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Preliminary groups are not yet announced. Usually it is by the current world rankings but since Finland is second and Sweden third, they would be on the same group so they have to make some adjustment there.

I would expect Sweden and Canada to swap, so it would be:

Gr Sweden: Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, Latvia, Denmark, Italy
Gr Finland: Finland, Canada, USA, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belarus, France, Kazakhstan.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
Preliminary groups are not yet announced. Usually it is by the current world rankings but since Finland is second and Sweden third, they would be on the same group so they have to make some adjustment there.

I would expect Sweden and Canada to swap, so it would be:

Gr Sweden: Russia, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, Latvia, Denmark, Italy
Gr Finland: Finland, Canada, USA, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belarus, France, Kazakhstan.

But the preliminary round is divided in 4 groups with 4 teams in each group isn't it? Or do they want to change the format next year?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
But the preliminary round is divided in 4 groups with 4 teams in each group isn't it? Or do they want to change the format next year?

It's two groups of eight as of the next tournament. That move is supposed to help fix some attendance issues, as the qualification round didn't have good enough early sales. It's easier to buy tickets to a game if you actually know who is playing in it ;)

His Beardliness*

Host cities have been confirmed as Globe Arena, Stockholm (13,850 permitted seats) and Hartwall Arena, Helsinki (13,506 permitted seats). Capacity has been permitted to these numbers due to modern health and safety rules. Malmö Arena were originally planned to co-host according to the Swedish bid, but the Swedish Hockey Federation decided to drop Malmö as a host city under pressure from the Malmöphobic Sweden Democrats when there was decided for a collaboration between Sweden and Finland[1]. Tampere was also a candidate to be the Finnish venue, but due to the delay in construction of the new Tampereen Keskusareena Helsinki was named as co-host.[2]

what? :help:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

This can't be true? :amazed:
Not that Malmö would be a wise choice to begin with, but still.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
can you explain the story in your avatar?

Its Raimo Helminen in the Ceremony right after hes last National team game. He is probably Greatest legend of Finnish hockey, even while he's not that known for example in North America. He played in Finnish national team in and between the years 1984-2008. He had something like over 300 games in national team, most points ever ect.

Also he has played in six olympics, and it stands as a World record. He has ten medals in World Championship and Olympics. One of them is gold, six silver. More than from hes achievements however, he is known from hes "gretzky-like" ability to see the game and make clever and great passes. He is specially known from "Raipen lätty" (Raipe's saucer passes).

After that game they freezed hes jersey and had other ceremonies, including that whats happening in my avatar. In Finland, Helminen will forevere be one of the greatest ever to play hockey.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Its Raimo Helminen in the Ceremony right after hes last National team game. He is probably Greatest legend of Finnish hockey, even while he's not that known for example in North America. He played in Finnish national team in and between the years 1984-2008. He had something like over 300 games in national team, most points ever ect.

Also he has played in six olympics, and it stands as a World record. He has ten medals in World Championship and Olympics. One of them is gold, six silver. More than from hes achievements however, he is known from hes "gretzky-like" ability to see the game and make clever and great passes. He is specially known from "Raipen lätty" (Raipe's saucer passes).

After that game they freezed hes jersey and had other ceremonies, including that whats happening in my avatar. In Finland, Helminen will forevere be one of the greatest ever to play hockey.

Yep easily NHL top-6 level player in his best years

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
It's two groups of eight as of the next tournament. That move is supposed to help fix some attendance issues, as the qualification round didn't have good enough early sales. It's easier to buy tickets to a game if you actually know who is playing in it ;)

Ah ok, thks for information. So there will be no more a qualification round? Do they play in each group against each other and the first four in every group are qualified for the quarterfinal?

Quarterfinals are then:

1st group A - 4th group B
4th group A - 1st group B
2nd group A - 3rd group B
3rd group A - 2nd group B

Is that correct?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I think they do the same thing as in 2008, so that quarters will be inside the group to ensure that Finland and Sweden have their quarterfinal at home.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Yeah the thing about the Sweden Democrats makes no sense what so ever, possibly a troll or something on wikipedia or whereever it was.

I'll personally be attending most of the games in Stockholm, I hope it'll be a nice (couple of) tournament. :handclap:

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
thanks. and too bad, i wanted to know more about "Malmöphobic Sweden Democrats" ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->