**** 2012 Entry Draft Thread ****

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
http://www.hfnhl.com/draft/index.html

Rounds 1-3 of the 2012 HFNHL Entry Draft will be held LIVE on Saturday, June 16th at 10:00 AM EDT (GMT -5:00).

Here is the preliminary draft order (by original team) so far.

1: Tampa Bay
2: San Jose
3: New Jersey
4: Washington
5: Minnesota
6: New York Rangers
7: Winnipeg
8: Edmonton
9: Pittsburgh
10: Phoenix
11: Toronto
12: Calgary
13: Colorado
14: Dallas
15: Boston
16: New York Islanders
17: Detroit
18: St. Louis
19: Chicago
20: Buffalo
21: Columbus
22: Vancouver
23: Philadelphia
24: Ottawa
25: Florida
26: Anaheim
27: Montreal
28: Nashville
29: Carolina or LA
30: Carolina or LA

FIRST ROUND

1: New York Islanders (from San Jose) ** Lottery winners **
2: Tampa Bay
3: New Jersey
4: Pittsburgh (from Washington)
5: Philadelphia (from Minnesota)
6: New York Rangers
7: Winnipeg
8: Edmonton
9: Pittsburgh
10: Phoenix
11: San Jose (from Toronto)
12: Pittsburgh (from Calgary)
13: San Jose (from Colorado)
14: Dallas
15: Boston
16: NYI
17: Montreal (from Detroit)
18: St. Louis
19: Chicago
20: Buffalo
21: Tampa Bay (from Columbus)
22: Tampa Bay (from Vancouver)
23: Winnipeg (from Philadelphia)
24: Ottawa
25: Florida
26: Anaheim
27: New Jersey (from Montreal)
28: Nashville
29: Winnipeg (from Carolina) or Los Angeles
30: Winnipeg (from Carolina) or Los Angeles

DRAFT INSTRUCTIONS

1. Draft Dates
Rounds 1-3 of the 2012 HFNHL Entry Draft will be held LIVE on Saturday, June 16th at 10:00 AM EDT (GMT -5:00). The results of the live rounds of the draft will be posted (as an Excel file in the Yahoo "Files" section) shortly after the conclusion of Saturday's activities.
Rounds 4-7 are not held live – GMs are required to submit a draft list for those rounds (destination TBD) by 11:59 PM EDT on Thursday, June 20th. While it is acceptable for a list to simply state "Choose the highest NA player available from the CSB rankings", a more detailed list is ALWAYS preferred. Lists should be sent to Brock Otten at [email protected] AND Matt Gledhill at [email protected].

2. Live Draft Location
The draft will be held in the HFNHL's chat room ( http://www.hfnhl.com/chat.html ). The chat room will also be open prior to the draft for teams wishing to discuss trades (in fact, in past years there has been significant chat activity in the days leading up to the draft). We advise that all GMs take the opportunity to check into the chat room at some point in the days prior to the draft to ensure you can connect.

3. Responsibility of GMs
IF YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND, you must submit a list detailing your preferred selections (Email to Brock Otten at [email protected] AND Matt Gledhill at [email protected]) no later than 11:59 PM (EDT) on Friday, June 15th. You may give another GM written permission to draft for you, in the form of an e-mail to the Commissioner cc’d to your delegate.

However, it is still *strongly* suggested that you provide a draft list, as you will be held responsible should the designated GM fail to attend and draft for you. (Frankly, it’s recommended that all GMs submit a list or instructions – even if they plan to attend - as a precaution in the event of unforeseen complications, such as connection issues, car accident, a giant asteroid hitting the earth, etc.).

Please note that Assistant GMs must also receive permission to make selections for their team, via advance notification to the Commissioner. In the event that the Commissioner is himself unable to attend the draft, another league member will be appointed to handle draft instructions, etc.

4. Failure to Fulfill GM Responsibilities
Short of regularly submitting lines, there's nothing more vital to a GM's duties than participating in the entry draft. Should you fail to have your team represented at the live draft, either in person or through clear instructions provided on time, you will face termination from your GM position. The same is true of failure to submit instructions regarding rounds 4-7 of the draft (even if you decide to forgo your remaining picks, you must do so through active instruction, not default).

Picks for absent teams will be made based upon the CSB skater rankings (NA player will be chosen in the event of a tie with a Euro player in the rankings). *Remember: any GM who does not show and make no arrangements for their draft will forfeit their team*.

5. Draft Eligibility – General
Prospects eligible to be drafted include those on the CSB final rankings ( http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm ). More generally, all North American players born on or between January 1, 1992 and September 15, 1994 who have not already been drafted by an HFNHL team (North American players with birthdates in 1990 or prior are Unrestricted Free Agents, assuming of course that their rights are not already held by another HFNHL team, and will be available to be signed during the Free Agency period that takes place later in the summer).

International players must be born between January 1, 1990 and September 15, 1994 (you can no longer draft overage Europeans). Simplest way to sort out if an International player (who has played in NA) should be considered under the NA or International draft eligibility criteria is as follows:

- If *not* already drafted by an NHL team, base it on where they played this past season
- If already drafted by an NHL team, base it on where they were playing in the season prior to being drafted by the NHL.

6. Draft Eligibility – NHL vs. HFNHL
Be aware that there are several players that are still available to be drafted in the NHL (or are shown as eligible on the 2012 CSS Draft list) that have already been drafted in the HFNHL. The reverse is also true: players drafted in the NHL may not have been drafted in the HFNHL.

A review of the final CSB list to indicate those listed players that have already been drafted has been provided HERE, but it is not guaranteed to be 100% complete, so it is ultimately up to the individual GM to determine whether the player they wish to draft is in fact available. *Picks made on players who have already been drafted will be forfeited.*

7. Draft Eligibility – Opt-outs
Prospects are no longer able to opt-out of the entry draft any player with a birthdate in the window is eligible. For unranked players, it is up to the GM to provide evidence that the player̢۪s birth-date makes them eligible.

Last edited:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Montreal is in the Playoffs so the pick should be higher and Dallas missed the playoffs so they would be picking 14th.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
NHL Lottery odds (and corresponding HFNHL team)

Trades not reflected.

Odds of winning the draft lottery
1 - Columbus - 25.0% (HFNHL Tampa)
2 - Edmonton - 18.8% (HFNHL San Jose)
3 - Montreal - 14.2% (HFNHL New Jersey)
4 - NY Islanders - 10.7% (HFNHL Washington)
5 - Toronto - 8.1% (HFNHL Minnesota)
6 - Anaheim - 6.2% (HFNHL NY Rangers)
7 - Minnesota - 4.7% (HFNHL Winnipeg)
8 - Carolina - 3.6% (HFNHL Edmonton)
9 - Winnipeg - 2.7% (HFNHL Pittsburgh)
10 - Tampa Bay - 2.1% (HFNHL Phoenix)
11 - Colorado - 1.5% (HFNHL Toronto)
12 - Buffalo - 1.1% (HFNHL Calgary)
13 - Dallas - 0.8% (HFNHL Colorado)
14 - Calgary - 0.5% (HFNHL Dallas)

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
NHL Lottery odds (and corresponding HFNHL team)

Trades not reflected.

Odds of winning the draft lottery
1 - Columbus - 25.0% (HFNHL Tampa)
2 - Edmonton - 18.8% (HFNHL San Jose)
3 - Montreal - 14.2% (HFNHL New Jersey)
4 - NY Islanders - 10.7% (HFNHL Washington)
5 - Toronto - 8.1% (HFNHL Minnesota)
6 - Anaheim - 6.2% (HFNHL NY Rangers)
7 - Minnesota - 4.7% (HFNHL Winnipeg)
8 - Carolina - 3.6% (HFNHL Edmonton)
9 - Winnipeg - 2.7% (HFNHL Pittsburgh)
10 - Tampa Bay - 2.1% (HFNHL Phoenix)
11 - Colorado - 1.5% (HFNHL Toronto)
12 - Buffalo - 1.1% (HFNHL Calgary)
13 - Dallas - 0.8% (HFNHL Colorado)
14 - Calgary - 0.5% (HFNHL Dallas)

Columbus/Tampa should have a 48.2% chance of keeping the top pick.

I'm happy to let them keep it if it means I win the lottery and move up a few spots. :nod:

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
It means their pick is first overall, for the first round (the rest of the rounds, IIRC, are unaffected). And since Hasnain holds the Sharks' first rounder this year, it's very good news for the Isles.

Even better news when all the SJ 2012 1st cost the Islanders was Benoit Pouliot. :help:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Even better news when all the SJ 2012 1st cost the Islanders was Benoit Pouliot. :help:

Who would have thought SJ 1st would be 1st ov. I traded Benoit couple of years ago when SJ were strong close to the playoffs. I guess I paid SJ with two high 1st rd pick along with Voracek for Miko Koivu which kinds of evens out.

I am not sure if I will keep the 1st ov and will consider moving th epick for a right offer.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Who would have thought SJ 1st would be 1st ov. I traded Benoit couple of years ago when SJ were strong close to the playoffs. I guess I paid SJ with two high 1st rd pick along with Voracek for Miko Koivu which kinds of evens out.

I am not sure if I will keep the 1st ov and will consider moving th epick for a right offer.

Ill give you a chance to redeem the trade Pouliot for SJS 1st 2012 :p

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Interesting that as of now, all Atlantic Division teams pick in the top-6. With the young talent in Philly, NJ, New York (both) and Pitt adding 3 lottery picks, this division could be insane in a couple of years.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Interesting that as of now, all Atlantic Division teams pick in the top-6. With the young talent in Philly, NJ, New York (both) and Pitt adding 3 lottery picks, this division could be insane in a couple of years.

I can predict the first 4 picks

1.Yakupov-Islanders The russian lover will see where he finish this one too
2.Forsberg- tampa technoviking
3.Grigorenko -devils need a malkin clone to get his team back on track
4.Murray-pittsburgh ....best player available plus could be good with Nikithing
5...i don't know who to draft

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Luckily its a poor crop of impact players imo

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Ill give you a chance to redeem the trade Pouliot for SJS 1st 2012 :p

Some trade you win and some trade you lose....did I expect SJ 1st would be 1st ov when I made the trade? No, same when I made the trade for Koivu, I didn't expect Col and Tor pick this high.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
You think he's that crazy and pass over Grigorenko???..i know he's a techno viking but Grigorenko??? (he will be a Thornton hybrid with Malkin)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad