2012 CBA - what will it have?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'm not sure the players would go for that. It would lead to more money going to the top players, majority of players getting less.

I can see why the majority of owners would be for it though - as frontloading is allowing certain teams to effectively overspend the cap every year.

bobbyt911

I would really love to see all front loaded contracts turned into 35+ style deals. Also some tweaking done to the call up rule, so that teams who are not playoff contenders can allow more of their prospects playing time. Some tweaking to the UFA/RFA rule would be good too.

Dado

Six year max contract length.

More shifting of revenue from Toronto to Columbus.

Everything else will be minor tweaks, at most.

IMO, etc.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Six year max contract length.

More shifting of revenue from Toronto to Columbus.

Everything else will be minor tweaks, at most.

IMO, etc.

Just ship Columbus to Toronto, then they'll be able to take care of themselves.

Fehr Time*

New RFA compensation system: Cash instead of Picks?

As some may know, I am not a big fan of the RFA system in general as it stands right now. The lack of offersheets suggests that the system is broken and change is required. It seems that teams feel that the draft pick compensation is too high (so they try to tell us) and that is why there is a lack of OS. My idea would be to eliminate draft picks as compensation and just have straight cash compensation. Any cash that a team would pay out as compensation to the club that had an OS on their player would not count against either teams precious salary cap either. This way, teams who have money to spend and want to spend it can use this to their advantage. On the other end of things, the teams receiving cash compensation that do not have the means to match would essentially be getting a revenue sharing check that could help them with their finances. A win-win situation as they say.

Here is how I would break it down:

An offer with a $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

More than $1,034,249 -- $1,567,043: $500,000

More than $1,567,043 -- $3,134,088: $ 1 million

More than $3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: $ 2 million

More than $4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: $ 3 million

More than $6,268,175 -- $7,835,219: $4 million

More than $7,835,219 and higher: $5 million

It is just an idea, and I really do not know for sure how it would work out one way or another to be honest, but it may be worth a try to get the marketplace moving a bit.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Does that also indirectly mean that draft picks have a cash value and could be bought or sold off based on a cash scale as well?

Burningblades

Apr 13, 2010
The NHL does not want competitiveness decided by money where they can control it to a reasonable amount, this would never happen and the 4 1st rounders one would probably be around 20-25 million.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Ridicolous.

Than all the big market teams will just hoarde and have a legit shot at every RFA.

The current system has it's flaws, but it's that way in order to make sure everyteam has a fair chance to keep their budding future stars.

With this system, only the strong markets survive and it would only be a matter of years before massive contraction occured because fans in small markets won't pay to see a bunch of nobodies and fans won't support a team if their players are constantly poached by larger market clubs. They would legitimatly have "no chance"

If your a PA guy, as I assume with name/avatar... this is not what you want, it only means less jobs down the road.

Burningblades

Apr 13, 2010
The NHL has a limited amount of players that are good enough to play in it, it is not like most soccer leagues where if you have money you can look elsewhere and buy talent, assuming that NHL teams are stable financially getting that extra money does not help them ice a better team which is the point of the RFA compensation.

Fehr Time*

Does that also indirectly mean that draft picks have a cash value and could be bought or sold off based on a cash scale as well?

It could as well if the league wanted to go that route, but with this proposal it would just replace picks with cash strictly as compensation for an RFA OS.

Eamonn*

The Leafs have just signed Drew Doughty with this system in place :).

Fehr Time*

The NHL does not want competitiveness decided by money where they can control it to a reasonable amount, this would never happen and the 4 1st rounders one would probably be around 20-25 million.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the compensation levels could certainly be increased from my proposal no doubt. It is just a loose framework.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm not really sure why more offer sheets are a good thing.

RFA's are supposed to be restricted. Why should there be more RFA activity? Yeah, there isn't much right now, but why isn't that acceptable?

Ruslan Zainullin

Aug 2, 2011
fehr time, you and i agree that the rfa system is flawed and needs to be amended, no doubt about that. however i dont think cash as a compensation is the answer as i believe that this would favour the big market teams (as others have said) and to a degree would also defeat the purpose of the salary cap (less parity if certain teams have an unfair advantage signing rfa's). i believe that draft picks are the answer, however i believe that the maximum compensation needs to be one first round draft pick. you can give up one first rounder without mortgaging your future and the other team still has the right to match the offer and keep the player. seems fair to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad