Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
tonight's line up:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Canadian lines for G4: Huberdeau-Strome-Lessio; Monahan-Scheifele-Rattie; Di Giuseppe-Danault-Hudon; Shinkaruk-Jenner-Wilson

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Canadian d-pairings: Ouellett-Harrington; Pelech-Dumba; Rielly-Hamilton; Murray-Murphy ... 1st time Spott dresses 8 in the series

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Watch the game. Watch those goals again. Outside the 1st goal everyone one of them is easily preventable. Lots of simple dumb mistakes defensively.

They gave up a Shorthanded goal. They gave up goals because they couldn't box anyone out of the front of the net.

They all stunk defensively
They win the game with a different goalie. The team gave up 21 shots and the goalie let in 6 goals. On the 5th goal he should've anticipated that play better and been positioned a lot better. The 6th goal was terrible rebound control and then took forever to re-position himself for the next shot. Very lackadaisical.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I thought Rielly, Harrington and Murray all played really good last night.
Murphy is amazing offensively but there were a few times his bad defense just made me cringe.

I was really surprised with how good Hudon and Zlobin played as well.

Oct 15, 2008
They win the game with a different goalie. The team gave up 21 shots and the goalie let in 6 goals. On the 5th goal he should've anticipated that play better and been positioned a lot better. The 6th goal was terrible rebound control and then took forever to re-position himself for the next shot. Very lackadaisical.

The fifth and sixth goals were due to defensive breakdowns, not goaltending. Fifth goal was a 2-1 down low, and the sixth goal was a defensive breakdown down low with a man left open down low far post.

You either need to educate yourself or you are not being honest.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The fifth and sixth goals were due to defensive breakdowns, not goaltending. Fifth goal was a 2-1 down low, and the sixth goal was a defensive breakdown down low with a man left open down low far post.

You either need to educate yourself or you are not being honest.
I've played as a defensemen at a high level of hockey all my life actually. I think you and I have different expectations for a goalie. Mine are very high considering this is the highest stage of hockey you can play at this age level. I'm sticking to my original assessments of the plays by saying he could've played them better and made the saves.

arsmaster*

Oh, give me strength. Literally just turned the game on (repeat). 7:23 left in the 3rd. Murphy tries to weave through the D instead of putting it in deep and following up. Or ringing it around the boards to his streaking forward corps. Turns it over to the Russian D who goes the other way.

Murphy was great tonight, but his flaws (mostly, trying to do everything himself) didn't suddenly disappear.

Didn't play the two on one on the 2nd goal very well.

Murphy had a really good game, but he's not perfect, you can't be when you have the puck so much. Mistakes are bound to happen.

Play like last night the majority of the time, it'll be hard to keep him off the team, but he sure struggles with in zone coverage (all of Canada's defensman were poor at this).

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I've played as a defensemen at a high level of hockey all my life actually. I think you and I have different expectations for a goalie. Mine are very high considering this is the highest stage of hockey you can play at this age level. I'm sticking to my original assessments of the plays by saying he could've played them better and made the saves.

The sad thing about this quote is that if you say you played defense at a high level then you should understand what the fundamentals of playing defense is which is to keep the puck out of your net. You do this by limiting good scoring chances. They didn't do that they allowed alot of high quality chances via 2 on 1s and rebounds.

If they played a fundamentally simpler game the past 2 games instead of hot dogging it and wheeling and dealing they wouldn't have given up a bakers dozen in goals

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The sad thing about this quote is that if you say you played defense at a high level then you should understand what the fundamentals of playing defense is which is to keep the puck out of your net. You do this by limiting good scoring chances. They didn't do that they allowed alot of high quality chances via 2 on 1s and rebounds.

If they played a fundamentally simpler game the past 2 games instead of hot dogging it and wheeling and dealing they wouldn't have given up a bakers dozen in goals
Your right about them giving up too many quality chances, but the goalie needs to be better. Every chance shouldn't end up in the back of the net. On top of that better reads would have made some of those "chances" much more routine.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

Then technically a goal is never a goalies fault, as for every goal there is a scoring "chance" allowed by the defence?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

You just described the fundamentals of the goalie, didn't you?

Anyways, I never said anything about how the defense played, all I was saying is some blame needs to go to the goaltender. I don't see how you can dispute that.

Here's a quote from the goalie, LB:

"The team needs a goaltender, and tonight they barely had one".

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Your right about them giving up too many quality chances, but the goalie needs to be better. Every chance shouldn't end up in the back of the net. On top of that better reads would have made some of those "chances" much more routine.
You said what I was trying to say better. Ty

Oct 15, 2008

You are barking up the wrong tree.

The major mistakes that led to the last two goals were not made by LB.

Go back and look at the replays.

Brossoit didnt play well by any means, but other than the first goal, none of the rest could be blamed on him. It was the defensive breakdowns that were the primary cause.

If you played at a high level like you said you did you would know this.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Of course the goalie is going to take the blame. LB was average and you need to be better then that. Of course he is going to shoulder it, now they can focus on tonights game.

The point it wasn't just one game, this happened last game as well. The Defense has not played well at all.

Go and watch the last 4 goals they gave up that game. They looked like bumbling fools.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

Brossoit didnt play well by any means, but other than the first goal, none of the rest could be blamed on him. It was the defensive breakdowns that were the primary cause.

So you're basically calling him a liar? Classy. :shakehead

Oct 15, 2008
So you're basically calling him a liar? Classy. :shakehead

I am challenging him to look at other possibilities for why Canada got blitzed by Russia yet again.

Blaming the goalie after that game last night is a very simple analysis and not one that I would expect from someone who played the game at a "high level" which he very well could have.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Just because I didn't do any posting during the game doesn't mean I didn't watch it. As a matter of fact I watched it in real time and it is still on my PVR. Attacking me for posting well after the game is low. Sorry that I had other things to do with my time after the game.

I agree, Rielly makes similar plays as well but he definitely picks his spots more. I understand that the calling of an offensive defenseman is to generate offense from the backend and rushing the puck is a given for any offensive d-man but it is always a risk.

Now did I say I always condoned Rielly for doing it? No, not always but he seems to know when to do it and when not to much more so than Murphy who seems to try those solo rushes with much more frequency. Rielly doesn't always succeed but he has the luxury of really good wheels which allow him to get back into position when a rush fails.

Murphy on the other hand is different and doesn't always get back. Some games Murphy gets a lot of success doing it and today was one of those games. I applaud him for it but there are games where they lead to multiple turnovers that the opposing team can capitalize on which I count as defensive liabilities. You never want to give the opposing team too much that they can use it against you.

I just find a player like Rielly more efficient than one like Murphy. In the end, its just my opinion after watching them for a bit and it's fine if you disagree with me.

It's not attacking you for posting after the game, it's observing the trend that people bashing players who had great games almost always appear after the game when most posters are long gone.

Murphy had only a couple of "solo rushes" in this game always, the majority of the time he led the rush he'd pass off to someone as soon as he broke the Russian lines, the times he didn't do that were if he got through a hole in the Russian defense (The one earlier in the game where he deked through 4 Russians and got a scoring chance for example) or when the Russian's protected their blueline and wouldn't let anyone in (The play with around 2 minutes left when they fired the puck down the ice right after he entered the zone)

I really don't know you can say that Rielly know's when to do it more, he did it pretty frequently last game and unlike Murphy who got through most of the time, Rielly didn't. Now none of that cost Canada, they didn't turn the puck over but how can you say he picks his spots better when Murphy actually got through and generated more scoring chances.

The only less-than-positive assessment was from a source who is anything but reliable when it comes to evaluating Harrington.

He wasn't flashy, but dependable as clockwork. As per usual.

I really love the "he doesn't say what I say therefore he is unreliable" modus operandi when replying to people on these boards. No debate, no rebuttal.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

The defensive breakdowns were the primary cause of the SCORING CHANCE, yes, I agree. The positional play and the lack of anticipation of the goalie were the result of the goal imo.

They both take some blame.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I am challenging him to look at other possibilities for why Canada got blitzed by Russia yet again.

Blaming the goalie after that game last night is a very simple analysis and not one that I would expect from someone who played the game at a "high level" which he very well could have.
I never sad they lost because of goaltending. I said you can't put all the blame on the defense.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
No one is saying he is a liar but defending yourself online by saying you played at "high levels" without any proof is just stupid.

I could be Scotty Bowman for all you know or at least pretend to be Scotty Bowman.
You told me I needed to educate myself because I didn't agree with your opinion. Now that is just stupid.

CrosKinnon

May 24, 2012
Cole Harbour
The defensive breakdowns were the primary cause of the SCORING CHANCE, yes, I agree. The positional play and the lack of anticipation of the goalie were the result of the goal imo.

They both take some blame.

Agreed,

and I maybe the only one that feels this, but on the replay of the 6th goal it looks like brossoit was starring in the complete wrong direction of where his rebound went, which put him in terrible position to recover. :dunno:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Brossoit had an .818 s% last night. 6 goals on 27 shots. If you're putting most of the blame on the defense you're kidding yourself. Yes there were a few cross ice passes for goals, but some of them were telegraphed. Canada was trying the same plays and Makarov was reading it - Brossoit was not.

Mediocre at best goaltending vs. great goaltending.

Saying that, I found some of the Canadian defensemen getting away from their games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I really love the "he doesn't say what I say therefore he is unreliable" modus operandi when replying to people on these boards. No debate, no rebuttal.

Your vehement anti-Harrington bias is obvious to everyone on the Pens board, and anyone who came across your posts in the WJC threads last year. "Prophet of Glennie" is basically synonymous with being totally unwilling to admit how wrong one is in the face of overwhelming evidence, at this point.

Those posts are there for everyone to see, friend - I was doing you a favour by not posting all the hilariously misinformed tripe you spewed and were definitively proven wrong on.

But we can always revisit them here, if you like. Should be good for a chuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad