2012-2013 World Junior Championships (part II)

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
awesome, I was torn about this game.

I wanted sweden to win, but i didn't want to play the russians (just would have prefered to watch a game against sweden).... ultimately, the gold medal game should be a thrill.

as for scheifele... I thought he had a very good tournament. I didn't watch the alst game but by the score, it doesn't look like scheifele was the one who cost them the game, it looks like the whole team stunk.

You can get down on him and rail about how he'll never be more then a third liner, but since we have access to the same information, we must just be processing it differently as i see someone who tops out as a first liner, and would be a good/great second liner.

That being said, if only one of trouba or scheifele turns into an impact player, that's actually par for the course given there draft positions, so if were getting upset about it, its our expectations that are out of line, not our scouting.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It looked like Canada thought they could just show up. Gibson outplayed Subban (not to fault Subban on all goals, but moreso that Gibson stood on his head) That was tough to watch, there was more excitement in this thread than that game!

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
wow just wow.....just watched the first period....no intensity, no sense of urgency and absolutly no physical play. Kind of glad I decided to catch up on my sleep last night.

on the plus side shief didnt look bad at all, some nice passes, good faceoff win in our zone and good puck containment so far.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hate to say , I told you so, but had a strong feeling the US would beat Canada, the US was touted as the strongest team going into the tournament and have proven it up to now.

Really don't think this was even close to being one of the better team Canada squads, one moderately strong line, 3-4 good D and an okay G just doesn't win gold any more.

I think the jury is still out on Scheff, guy plays with heart, has strong play making skills but can anyone honestly say his skating is at the NHL level.

Last years Jets number one pick looks dynamite! He may be in a Jets uniform sooner than any of us has even imagined.

Last edited:

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Yes Trouba looks to be an excellent pick. Think I read/heard one of those "if the 2012 draft were held again today" lists that he'd be much higher, 3rd or 4th overall. (.....but but but .....we could have taken Forsberg! :sarcasm:)

He's got college though --- wonder if he'd stay and finish his degree or try for the big leagues in a couple years.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I'm really excited for when Trouba plays for the Jets. The guy looks to be a solid dman and future captain. Does he have any history of dropping the gloves if challenged?

As for Canada losing, it wasn't't a huge shock for me. They just didn't come across as that dominating of a team (the very little that I managed to watch anyways).

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'm really excited for when Trouba plays for the Jets. The guy looks to be a solid dman and future captain. Does he have any history of dropping the gloves if challenged?

Doubt he's ever fought, every league he's played in to date gives automatic game misconducts for dropping the gloves.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

As for Canada losing, it wasn't't a huge shock for me. They just didn't come across as that dominating of a team (the very little that I managed to watch anyways).

Fight record

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/15889

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Everyone is jumping on Scheifele, but what about guys like Huberdeau and Strome?

Hubes hasn't looked great this whole tourney and finished this game as a -4, while Strome finished as a -3.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Canada was not prepared to play that game and were facing a superior goalie in Gibson. They did not force him to have to be that great though he did make a few great saves when called upon unlike Subban.

Not that it may have made a difference in this game, but I still think that MacKinnon was misused throughout the tournament. He should have been used in an offensive role and they should have tried to see if his and Drouin's chemistry could translate in a 19 year old's tournament.

As a JETS fan, I am pleased with Trouba and Scheifele, but we do need to use this draft to add some skill to our prospects group, specifically at forward.

Also, it would be nice to find ourselves a goalie with the calmness and dominance of Gibson. The Organization will need to have an heir apparent coming up through the system at some point. I'm not a fan of wasting high picks on goalies, but if these late round shot in the dark goalie selections don't pan out, they will have to eventually go for one of the consensus top rated guys.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wonder if Canada has to look at how it picks teams, picking a top six and bottom six hasn't worked for sometime. Seems to me they used to pick the 12 -14 best forwards and slot them into positions (roles) with a lot of success.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Doubt he's ever fought, every league he's played in to date gives automatic game misconducts for dropping the gloves.

That fight record thing won't open for me, but he did play in USHL where fighting is only 5 mins...only 22 games with USNTDP last year, but recorded 35 PIM's, so had to have at least one fight in there.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That fight record thing won't open for me, but he did play in USHL where fighting is only 5 mins...only 22 games with USNTDP last year, but recorded 35 PIM's, so had to have at least one fight in there.

1 recorded fight in 2010-2011, 1 recorded fight in 2011-2012, according to that link.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad