2012-2013 Red Wings Fearless Predictions

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Brendan Smith wins Rookie of the year while averaging the most 2nd most IT behind Kronwall. Smith will lead all Wings defensemen in points.

Nyquist gets bumped around the lineup but finally sticks in the top 6 down the stretch. He'll finish with 14 goals and 30 points.

Jimmy Howard gets injured early in the season which forces Gustavsson to play the majority of the games until Mrazek to get a start and play until Howard comes back.

Wings make the playoffs on the final game of the regular season.

Franzen scores 28 goals in 48 games.

Ken Holland trades for someone that we don't all hate and it actually improves the team. <-- Going out on a limb here.

Filppula re-signs for 5 years 22.5m.

Howard re-signs for 4 years 20m.

Wings finish top 5 in PP%.

Aug 6, 2012
Franzen scores 25 goals as he's moved up to the 1st PP unit.

Jimmy Howard proves last year was not a fluke as he spots a .918+ save %.

KH is forced to trade for another defenseman as injuries become a major concern.

Smith has a solid rookie season, Nyquist struggles as Babcock fails to give him consistent ice time.

The third line proves to be one of the best in the league.

Detroit's GF is in the top 10, but GA is ~20.

Datsyuk & Zetterberg carry the Wings to the 7 seed.

Last edited:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Brunner hits the ground running scoring 15-20 goals 35-40 points :yo:

Realistically though I think 10-15 goals 30 or so points

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Funny thing, Franzen might score 30 goals because he only plays for roughly 48 games a year anyway :sarcasm:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Brunner really impress's
Wings get the 5th seed, St Louis wins the central, Chicago gets 4th seed. Nashville miss's by a spot
Smith leads Detroit defense in scoring and puts up 10-15 goals
Nyquist gets 1st call up, and sticks the landing with a .75 ppg
Burtuzzi gets hurt after 10-20 games
Z puts up 50 points 22g-28A
Dats puts up 56 pts 25g-31A really works well with Nyquist
Brunner signs a 5 year deal for 15 mil with good incentives
Howard 4 year, 20 mil
Fil 4 year 17.5 mil
a minor trade we dont hate, but dont love either
lose in the 1st or 2nd round of playoffs
do the unthinkable and trade up in the draft im thinking we trade pulks, our 1st and 3rd to get into the top 5 (huge reach but i would be pumped) draft E. Lindholm

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
-Tatar and Nyquist finish the year on the wings
-Holland trades for a solid defensive d-man at the deadline, eliminating some of the unnecessary forward depth (hopefully Emmerton, Cleary among them)
-Sheahan also takes the fourth line center role down the stretch
-Smith is second on the team in defensive scoring with around 30 points and is named finalist for ROY (Kronwall with most points)
-Can't really make any predictions about Brunner as I haven't seen him play yet
-Franzen, Filppula, Howard, Cleary all excel this year due to impending free agency / Franzen not wanting to be bought out
-Half season helps wings more than hurts them (have seemingly been a top echelon team the last few years before fizzling out in the second half)
-The wings score a lot, and get scored on a lot this year

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Bold predictions:

Ericsson, Cleary, Gustafson will step up and play surprisingly well.

Kronwall, filppula, and helm wont be as good as expected.

Brunner and nyquist struggle out of the gate, but pick it up down the stretch.

Playoff streak saved by the shootout!!!

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Carlo Colaiocovo plays 90% of the games

I'll have what you're having...

Prediction has already failed. He injured his shoulder and is out for a couple of weeks...

Even if he were "healthy", he's never been able to stay that way very long. It would be a bold prediction, though...

I predict that the defense will be terrible and surrender way, way too many great scoring chances. (sub-prediction - I believe Kronwall, Quincey, and Smith will manage to all charge out of position to hit the same player at the same time. Not sure how, but I know they'll find a way to do it. And the opposition will score on the play.)

I predict that a majority of HF posters will blame the goaltenders.

I predict that injuries will strike the defense, causing the team to have to play Lashoff and Kindl on the 3rd pairing. They will actually defend better than the original defense, but the team will go back to normal when everyone is healthy, and the defense will go back to sucking.

I predict that the offense will be pretty good, getting a lot of contributions from the D.

I predict that Franzen will score 23 goals in 8 games, and 0 in the remaining 40. Not all at once, but there will only be 8 regular season games in which Franzen scores goals, that's my prediction.

I predict that Howard will have no shutouts due to the horrible defense, his numbers will be fairly lousy, and the partial season will cost him millions on his next deal.

I predict that Howard will actually play pretty well this season, but will get increasingly frustrated with the horrific defensive play in front of him.

I predict that the PP will be good but not great (19%?) and the PK will be awful (77%?).

I predict that all these factors wash out in the end and the Wings end up about where they were last year - a middle to low seed with a team that is ill-equipped to win in the postseason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One of Howard or Filppula is signed by the end of January.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall will not allow the playoff streak to end on their watch and have great seasons.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Will Brunner crack the opening night roster?

Yes, definitely. He'll start with Zetterberg. With only 48-games, I think Babcock will be pretty aggressive with the moves and hunches. This team needs a jolt, some new blood; I think the entire staff realizes that.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yes, definitely. He'll start with Zetterberg. With only 48-games, I think Babcock will be pretty aggressive with the moves and hunches. This team needs a jolt, some new blood; I think the entire staff realizes that.

If Emmerton makes the team and Brunner doesn't, there should be a revolt. And I would like to lead it...

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
I predict that all these factors wash out in the end and the Wings end up about where they were last year - a middle to low seed with a team that is ill-equipped to win in the postseason.

Yeah--that's what I am afraid of too. The strength of the Central is going to take a heavy toll on our overall record. In the absence of playoff success though, I hope we at least see a few young(er) players stepping up in a major way... Brunner, Nyquist, Smith, Helm, Kindl, Kader, etc.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Datsyuk leads the league in points. **** it, the title says fearless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad