2012-2013 Phoenix Coyotes Roster

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Nick Johnson was waived. Klinkhammer stole his roster spot just like how Johnson stole Bolduc's.

Wow, has Johnson been playing that poorly? And Klink has had two very good games, but its only two games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seemed like Johnson was resting on his laurels... which he never had. If you're going to be waiver fodder, you better play hard when you are in the lineup. He was pretty much invisible. 2 points in his last 13 games played. He just did nothing after that hot start, and he doesn't bring hitting, fighting, shot blocking or faceoffs to the table.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think it's pretty unfair that Johnson has lost his job to Klinkhammer so quickly. Johnson looked AMAZING in his first couple of games, too. It remains to be seen if Klinkhammer is any more or less consistent. If his game falls off a cliff once the adrenaline of being in the NHL wears off in a few games, you are left with another Johnson. Johnson stopped producing points but was still forechecking hard and creating chances, which is all you should expect from a 4th line RW, anyhow. I expect Klinkhammer will fall into the same habit, but is a LW which is considerably less valuable to Phoenix at the moment. All of Torres (LHS, LW), Chipchura (LHS, LW) and Bissonnette (LHS, LW) are playing well right now, and all are 4th line players. Same goes for Klinkhammer (LHS, LW). So why waive Johnson now? Me, I'd give Klinkhammer a few more games to see if he can keep it up. If not, he's the one who should be demoted, and not Johnson.

rt

May 13, 2004
Seemed like Johnson was resting on his laurels... which he never had. If you're going to be waiver fodder, you better play hard when you are in the lineup. He was pretty much invisible. 2 points in his last 13 games played. He just did nothing after that hot start, and he doesn't bring hitting, fighting, shot blocking or faceoffs to the table.

I suppose this is a decent enough point. If Klinkhammer does exactly as Johsnon did, you are still at a net equal (other than trading a RHS for a LHS). Even if Klikhammer cools off to the point where he's terrible and needs to be sent down, you are out only a Nick Johnson (decent forechecking 4th line RW who can get the puck to the front of the net from the corner with pretty good regularity), which is fairly replaceable.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
I am fine with the decision to keep Klink up, which meant having to send someone down and Johnson was the unfortunate victim. Players have been up and down with regularity this short season by all the teams.

Maloney and Tippett are just trying to get a good look at our top prospects in Portland to see who can stick.
Afterall, there was no training camp to give prospects a chance to make the team.
I am sure this was explained to the players.

There is the slim chance we could lose Johnson through waivers but there have been so many players put on waivers by all the teams this year, with hardly any getting picked up

All teams are doing the same thing with their prospects and don't have roster spots for other teams' unproven prospects over their own.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
. So why waive Johnson now? Me, I'd give Klinkhammer a few more games to see if he can keep it up. If not, he's the one who should be demoted, and not Johnson.

Lombardi is probably back which means there would be two healthy forward scratches. Might as well save the money by demoting one of them.

rt

May 13, 2004
Lombardi is probably back which means there would be two healthy forward scratches. Might as well save the money by demoting one of them.

Boy, I sure hope so. I really want Gordon on the fourth line and Chipchura on the wing. I guess that puts Biz back as a healthy scratch. Gotta say, though, that I don't love Torres and Moss on the third line. In a perfect world, they'd be the fourth liners on this team.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
You guys might not like the idea but I wish we would give Rundblad a shot at forward.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think we are only three first line forwards away from being a powerhouse. :sarcasm: haha.

xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
Boedker-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Korpikoski
Torres-Gordon-Moss
Bissonnette

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think we are only three first line forwards away from being a powerhouse. :sarcasm: haha.

xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
Boedker-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Korpikoski
Torres-Gordon-Moss
Bissonnette

Yandle can get us two top 6 guys. Just saying. :sarcasm:

If the Coyotes had no budget, sign: Roy or Rebeiro, Filppula or MacArthur, Horton or Ryder

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Out of those only Ribeiro(or perhaps Roy, Filppula in a stretch) is a decent 1st liner or capable second liner. MacArthur, Horton or Ryder are all third liners at best.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Out of those only Ribeiro(or perhaps Roy, Filppula in a strecth) is a decent 1st liner or capable second liner. MacArthur, Horton or Ryder are all third liners at best.

Do you even watch hockey? They are all 50 point+ players

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
My bad, thought of Shawn Thornton and not Horton(I have a tendency to mix them up on a regular basis; damn anglophone names!). Michael Ryder is rather a 40(tops) point player who had a career year last year and MacArthur is pretty much the same(except it was in 10-11 his year was, a year when he played mostly with Kessel IIRC). They're not bad players those two but they're not firstliners.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Do you even watch hockey? They are all 50 point+ players

The only player i question out of your shortlist is MacArthur. I wish i could pinpoint it, i just can't. I don't feel as if he will continue wuth the number he's putting up. Hopefully for his sake, I'm wrong.

With that said, i would be really bummed if we trades Yandle for any of those players besides Horton. Ribs and Ryder are gettin up there in age, hockey age, that is.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The only player i question out of your shortlist is MacArthur. I wish i could pinpoint it, i just can't. I don't feel as if he will continue wuth the number he's putting up. Hopefully for his sake, I'm wrong.

With that said, i would be really bummed if we trades Yandle for any of those players besides Horton. Ribs and Ryder are gettin up there in age, hockey age, that is.

All of those players are UFA. There are few legitimate top 3 players in this league. They almost never hit FA, and when they do, teams overpay. Corey Perry is going to get paid something silly this summer. For every other team, you shoot for top 6 players.

Trade Yandle and Vermette for Schenn and Couturier. Get rid of Moss, let Torres walk (can't afford a $2m 4th liner). 4th line is just made up of spare parts that won't be counted on for offense.

Sign Smith @4
Sign MacArthur @4.25
Sign Ryder @4.5
Sign Boedker @3.2 (probably low...)

FORWARDS
Clarke MacArthur ($4.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Michael Ryder ($4.500m)
Mikkel Boedker ($3.200m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($1.850m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.650m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.525m) / Brett Hextall ($0.688m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
David Schlemko ($1.188m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
Rostislav Klesla ($2.975m) / Michael Stone ($0.633m)

GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($4.000m)
Chad Johnson ($0.600m)

------
CAP PAYROLL: $54,930,000;
BONUSES: $2,800,000
CASH PAYROLL: $52,130,000

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Hextall got some offensive talent and is fast; problem is IIRC he is very small. Our D-line also lose a lot of it's offensive creativity with Yandle gone. MacArthur, however, is not worth 4m+ per year.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I somehow doubt Don will trade Yandle unless someone is going to over pay and the suggestions given would not be an over payment. I believe a defenseman will be traded but I suspect it will be Klesla since he is a FA soon. I would love to see him stay if we make the playoffs cause he was awesome last year, but that's probably not how it will go.
On another note, Tikinov is 2nd in scoring in the KHL and he is decent defensively. Maybe we should try and bring him back.

rt

May 13, 2004
Not a fan at all of Ryder. I think he'd be a really bad fit on this team.

MacArthur might fit in okay, but I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole at that price.

Vermette and Yandle for Schenn and Couturier is interesting. I probably wouldn't go for it, but it makes you stop and think.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ryder has a ring and is a 30 goal guy. He is exactly what this team needs more of.

Vermette and Yandle for Schenn and Couturier is interesting. I probably wouldn't go for it, but it makes you stop and think.

It's hard to pass up when you consider those guys are on their 2nd ELC year. You get another year of cheap production, and the players in question are very talented. Hanzal-Couturier is an impossible 1-2 defensive punch. I don't really want to lose Vermette, but it makes sense to move him with Yandle. He can step in and replace some center depth of the team the Coyotes raid for Yandle. It clears what is basically Boedker's raise.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
My bad, thought of Shawn Thornton and not Horton(I have a tendency to mix them up on a regular basis; damn anglophone names!). Michael Ryder is rather a 40(tops) point player who had a career year last year and MacArthur is pretty much the same(except it was in 10-11 his year was, a year when he played mostly with Kessel IIRC). They're not bad players those two but they're not firstliners.

He never played with kessel. It was grabovski and kulemin............

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I somehow doubt Don will trade Yandle unless someone is going to over pay and the suggestions given would not be an over payment. I believe a defenseman will be traded but I suspect it will be Klesla since he is a FA soon. I would love to see him stay if we make the playoffs cause he was awesome last year, but that's probably not how it will go.
On another note, Tikinov is 2nd in scoring in the KHL and he is decent defensively. Maybe we should try and bring him back.

Klesla certainly seems like the odd man out unless someone blows Maloney away with an offer for one of the puck movers. He's a very good shutdown D, but Z is the better fit for this club and we can't spend that much money on those two when we have to give out raises and we have younger, cheaper D prospects clearly ready to make the jump.

I still think Klesla has the value to return a young forward with upside that could use a change of scenery. Bailey from the Isles or Paajarvi from the Oilers. Something along those lines.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bailey isn't any better than Vermette, Lombardi or Hanzal. So why trade for him? He is also an RFA who needs to be paid. I'd much, much rather trade for someone that has a ceiling higher than 30 points. The whole point of trading Klesla is to clear money to keep Yandle while opening up a spot and acquiring a decent forward.

This team literally does not have a first line. I think you have to trade Yandle. It sucks that he is such an awesome guy. But you need to clear that money to sign another scoring winger, and trade for a #1C.

Here's what a "keep Yandle, trade Klesla" scenario looks like.

FORWARDS
Jussi Jokinen ($3.000m) / Antoine Vermette ($3.750m) / Shane Doan ($5.300m)
Mikkel Boedker ($3.200m) / Martin Hanzal ($3.100m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($1.850m) / Matthew Lombardi ($1.500m) / Kyle Chipchura ($0.675m)
Rob Klinkhammer ($0.650m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.525m) / David Moss ($2.100m)
Paul Bissonnette ($0.738m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Oliver E.-Larsson ($5.500m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Keith Yandle ($5.250m) / Derek Morris ($2.750m)
David Schlemko ($1.188m) / Michael Stone ($0.633m)

GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($4.000m)
Chad Johnson ($0.600m)

------
CAP PAYROLL: $54,307,500
BONUSES: $0

That's terrible. Maloney has to swap full price players for ELCs constantly if he wants to have a competitive roster. We don't have any talent at forward coming through the system. What you see is what you get. It's so bad that I might explore trading Gormley for an equivalent forward prospect. Look how old that lineup is. Devoid of skill, mostly. That's what $54 million looks like when you pay three guys $15 million on the back end. I didn't even account for money to Stone and Korpi, just their tenders, and Boedker might need more money. Smith too.

If the team moves, you trade Doan. If the team stays, you trade Yandle. Sucks, but that's where we are at. There is no feasible way to ice a team as good as this year, past years, or anywhere near good enough to reliably be considered a playoff team with both of those guys on the roster next year without an owner. It is what it is. OEL's back-loaded contract is great and all, but it still doesn't change much. If anything, it gives us a better shot at keeping Boedker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->