2012-2013 opening night roster compared to pre-trade deadline 2014-2015 roster

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
(no idea what the actual lines were however)

2012-2013 opening night:

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Cleary
Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Miller - Filppula - Samuelsson
Mursak - Emmerton - Tootoo

Kronwall - Ericsson
White - Colaiacovo
Smith - Quincey

2014-2015 pre-trade deadline:

Helm - Datsyuk - Tatar
Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Weiss - Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Jurco

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Quincey
Smith - Marchenko

I think it's interesting to see just how drastically the roster has changed in 2 years. That 2012-2013 lineup was straight garbage. No point to this thread really....I just was thinking about this and wanted to see how the differences looked on paper. :yo:

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeah it was garbage (even last year) but they started with Z-D-brunner and franzen-flip-cleary iirc. abby, dats and cleary didn't become a line until later in the season when flip and franzen were injured for a while.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
13-14 started season with our 3rd line being Cleary-Andersson-Bertuzzi

With Tomas Tatar in the press box watching.... Who went on to score 19 goals.

That's far worse IMO

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
yeah it was garbage (even last year) but they started with Z-D-brunner and franzen-flip-cleary iirc. abby, dats and cleary didn't become a line until later in the season when flip and franzen were injured for a while.

Yeah, I completely forgot what the lines were. Who was the 4th line center then (given the group of players posted above)? The only centers I see are Z, Dats, Filppula, and Emmerton so I assumed Z and Dats were split up. Unless Abdelkader was still playing center then? I don't remember.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

That's far worse IMO

And our leading goal scorer stuck in GR for 25 games.

Yeah, past couple years was bad.

Emmerton, Mursak, Sammy, Cleary, all on the starting lineup. Baaaaaad.

drumnj

Oct 19, 2009
IA
redwingslive.net

That's far worse IMO
Remember during that season we also saw the top line as
Cleary-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
and around that time also...
Cleary-Weiss-Samuelsson

good times

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Remember during that season we also saw the top line as
Cleary-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
and around that time also...
Cleary-Weiss-Samuelsson

good times

Lol yeah, this thread is just......

giphy.gif

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Making the playoff with those groups just shows how much the team can be carried by Z, D, Kronner, Howard.

And I guess also how relatively "easy" it is to make the playoffs.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think we belittle those players way too much. Everyone played well and played a role. Our C's were good and our Pivots played well enough. Samuelson, Coliacovo and Mursak are the only guys on that list who didn't contribute.

I thought it was a great year to watch, so many ups and downs, the streaks and what was overcome. It's a lot more interesting to me than watching a team that just dominates and takes playoffs.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Wow, didn't take me long to block out that those (2012-2013) lines even existed. Imagine to ice them this year for a push to the playoffs. Glad the kids came in and we got additional depth.

Chunkylover

Aug 17, 2008
Michigan
I think we belittle those players way too much. Everyone played well and played a role. Our C's were good and our Pivots played well enough. Samuelson, Coliacovo and Mursak are the only guys on that list who didn't contribute.

I thought it was a great year to watch, so many ups and downs, the streaks and what was overcome. It's a lot more interesting to me than watching a team that just dominates and takes playoffs.

Well put. I wish we could have one the Cup with/for Bertuzzi and Alfredsson.

It is hard to remember anything from that era though. It's hard to believe that the Wings won the Cup seven years ago!

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

That's far worse IMO

but please keep telling me how great Babcock is as a coach. :shakehead

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, I completely forgot what the lines were. Who was the 4th line center then (given the group of players posted above)? The only centers I see are Z, Dats, Filppula, and Emmerton so I assumed Z and Dats were split up. Unless Abdelkader was still playing center then? I don't remember.

abby was played as C for a while, until andy was called up iirc. emmerton was 4th line C.

puttebe

Jun 13, 2011
but please keep telling me how great Babcock is as a coach. :shakehead
While I don't think it always works, that whole scenario worked well for Tatar. He was determined to prove Babcock wrong and came in to the NHL confident that he had what it takes to make it, making Babcock the bad guy. I'm sure they play that game to some extent with all young trying to make it in the NHL.

puttebe

Jun 13, 2011
Come to think of it, I can't see a better time to give a kid "a shot" then when they are fed up with being stuck in the AHL, while "clearly being to good for it".

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
While I don't think it always works, that whole scenario worked well for Tatar. He was determined to prove Babcock wrong and came in to the NHL confident that he had what it takes to make it, making Babcock the bad guy. I'm sure they play that game to some extent with all young trying to make it in the NHL.

Tatar has also said to the media that while the Wings overripe development strategy is frustrating, that it made him a better, more complete player for the NHL.

puttebe

Jun 13, 2011
Tatar has also said to the media that while the Wings overripe development strategy is frustrating, that it made him a better, more complete player for the NHL.
I haven't seen the quote but I can imagine it, it feels almost obvious when you think of his development.

I think it shifts the focus from "will I make it" to "when will he let me prove I'm good enough", which I believe could be crucial when a prospect becomes a player.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I don't really think Mursak was bad he just had really ****** luck. Couldn't stay healthy. When he was in the lineup he looked decent for a bottom 6 type.

Though we do have a much better bottom 6 now. Like night and day difference.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
12-13 is definitely the worst team we've iced in the last 20 years. Defense was in a really rough state until Dekeyser came out of nowhere. Forwards were terribly underwhelming until Nyquist, Andersson and Brunner gave us a 3rd line.

13-14 opening night was also an ugly looking roster. That Bertuzzi-Andersson-Cleary 3rd line still gives me nightmares...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad