Line Combos: 2012-13: Your lineup for opening night

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Just wondering, how many goals did Stamkos score when St. Louis was injured? I have a friend whos trying to argue Iginla is the better scorer than Stamkos, and the only reason he scores more is because of St. Louis.

While I could look up when Marty was injured last year and then compare that to how many goals Stammer scored without him, I am too lazy. Please direct your friend to this graphic:

http://i.imgur.com/wOc2M.jpg

Marty assisted (primary and secondary) on 20 of Stammer's 60 goals last year. 1/3. Please tell your friend that Iginla doesn't even come close to Stamkos with regards to scoring ability. :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
While I could look up when Marty was injured last year and then compare that to how many goals Stammer scored without him, I am too lazy. Please direct your friend to this graphic:

http://i.imgur.com/wOc2M.jpg

Marty assisted (primary and secondary) on 20 of Stammer's 60 goals last year. 1/3. Please tell your friend that Iginla doesn't even come close to Stamkos with regards to scoring ability. :laugh:

Been trying to argue that for the last 30 minutes, he's super dense though. That graphic is really nice though, hopefully he realizes how stupid his argument is.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I hope Lindback kills it for you guys. Super nice guy. Do think it will take ~20 games for him to hit his groove given Pekka was such a workhorse when he was here.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Caps fan here, just wondering what happened to J.T. Brown haven't heard anything about him and was wondering if he was gonna be on your opening night roster

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Is anyone else a bit worried about Purcell this year? Doesn't it usually take him a while to get going each season? That would hurt bad - especially this season - if our second line winger takes 25-30 games to get in the swing of things....

Purcell and Vinny were electric in the first skate around they had Sunday at the forum. He looks in shape and ready to build on last years career year IMO.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
^ Do you have a chart or anything? Would be awesome to see since i'm in a debate.

Just wondering, how many goals did Stamkos score when St. Louis was injured? I have a friend whos trying to argue Iginla is the better scorer than Stamkos, and the only reason he scores more is because of St. Louis.

Holy hell.

Iginla has scored 516 goals in his 15 years in the league (1188 Games). That is a .43 G/PG clip.

Stamkos has scored 179 goals in his 4 years in the league (325 Games). That is a .55 G/PG clip.

A .12 difference is EXTREMELY significant. Extrapolated over the course of a 15 year career( using Iginla's 1188 Games as a base) for Stamkos it would compare as Inginla's 516 goals to Stamkos' 653 goals. Almost 150 more goals over the course of a career.

Your friend, to put it nicely. Is an idiot. ;)

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Holy hell.

Iginla has scored 516 goals in his 15 years in the league (1188 Games). That is a .43 G/PG clip.

Stamkos has scored 179 goals in his 4 years in the league (325 Games). That is a .55 G/PG clip.

A .12 difference is EXTREMELY significant. Extrapolated over the course of a 15 year career( using Iginla's 1188 Games as a base) for Stamkos it would compare as Inginla's 516 goals to Stamkos' 653 goals. Almost 150 more goals over the course of a career.

Your friend, to put it nicely. Its an idiot. ;)

Haha, I know. Which is why I try to educate him sometimes :laugh:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
And Tyrell with Wilson.

Interesting how things are shaping up.

Malone-Stamkos-St Louis
Concacher-Lecavalier-Purcell
Pouliot-Pyatt-Thompson
Tyrell-Wilson- Crombeen?
Don't forget Crombeen-Hall-Thompson was a consistent line during camp, Jan 14.

I guess it's somewhat safe to say that the chance of making the team for Wyman, Angelidis and Labrie is shrinking. Johnson probably too with all the praise Conacher is getting.

As for our 3rd and 4th line we have chemistry between:
Pouliot and Pyatt
Tyrell and Wilson
Hall and Thompson (and Crombeen)

But it's not unlikely that Boucher will have 7 defensemen dress and not just for opening night. So which combo is he going to break up?

Consistant D pairings during camp were:
Carle and Brewer
Hedman and Salo
MAB and Lee
Mikkelson and Aulie

It's gonna be tough for Boucher to figure out who's gonna be on his 3rd pairing, who will be #7 and who will sit in the press box.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
So it looks like we'll be keeping all 8 Dmen up?

Opening day roster of (so far)?

Forwards (13)
Conacher
Crombeen
Hall
Lecavalier
Malone
Pouliot
Purcell
Pyatt
St. Louis
Stamkos
Thompson
Tyrell
Wilson

Defensemen (8)
Aulie
Bergeron
Brewer
Carle
Hedman
Lee
Mikkelson
Salo

Goalies (2)
Garon
Lindback

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For opening night, I'd probably do something like:

Malone -- Stamkos -- St. Louis
Conacher -- Lecavalier -- Purcell
Pouliot -- Pyatt -- Tyrell
Thompson -- Crombeen

Hedman -- Salo
Brewer -- Carle
Aulie -- Lee
Bergeron

Lindback
Garon

Scratches: Mikkelson, Hall, Wilson

During the season, I think we'll see a lot of rotation between Aulie/Mikkelson/Bergeron for the #6 and #7 d spots, as well as Wilson/Pyatt/Tyrell for 3rd line center and 3rd line winger spots.

That's how I would do open night lines though.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Last year was hopefully an anomaly and Boucher didn't run 7 until like February.

It may be too risky straight away to do so however. We've got new guys and the team hasn't played together in a meaningful game since April. That being said, I'd expect 11/7 the first game.

Coaches, like players, get rust too.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Holy hell.

Your friend, to put it nicely. Is an idiot. ;)

There are much better ways you can argue Stamkos is a better goal scorer than iginla, but this one is just stupid. You can't just prorate Stamkos's gpg through that many years when Iginla's stats are through over 3 times the amount of years.

Not to mention you didn't even include Stamkos's rookie year yet you used Iginla's entire career :facepalm: Homerism at its finest.

As for lines,any chance Conacher makes the team this year?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
There are much better ways you can argue Stamkos is a better goal scorer than iginla, but this one is just stupid. You can't just prorate Stamkos's gpg through that many years when Iginla's stats are through over 3 times the amount of years.

Not to mention you didn't even include Stamkos's rookie year yet you used Iginla's entire career :facepalm: Homerism at its finest.

As for lines,any chance Conacher makes the team this year?

He did include Stamkos' rookie season. 23 (rookie) + 51 (2nd) + 45 (3rd) + 60 (4th) = 179.

In fact, the only number I'm getting differently is Stamkos' goal total after the math occurs. He got 653 and I got 654.

Last edited:

Hockeystar3712

Oct 13, 2006
Any speculation on top PP unit?

Not a TB fan here, but if I remember correctly you guys generally run Stamkos on one point? Then St Louis and Lecavalier down low... Who would the 3rd forward be and the other point man? Or am I all wrong? Thanks in advance.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

Not a TB fan here, but if I remember correctly you guys generally run Stamkos on one point? Then St Louis and Lecavalier down low... Who would the 3rd forward be and the other point man? Or am I all wrong? Thanks in advance.

Boucher is splitting it up a little bit. St. Louis will be qb'ing the first unit and Lecavalier the second. At least for the time being.

I'll have to find where I saw that to get the exact personnel.

Looks like practices have had Salo/Carle, St. Louis, Stamkos, Purcell and Malone for the 1st unit.

Last edited:

Hockeystar3712

Oct 13, 2006
I'm mostly asking for fantasy purposes... I have Malone and Carle on my fantasy team.. I'm sure Carle will be on the point on one of the two units and was just trying to see if anyone had insight on Malone..

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

I'm mostly asking for fantasy purposes... I have Malone and Carle on my fantasy team.. I'm sure Carle will be on the point on one of the two units and was just trying to see if anyone had insight on Malone..
Check out the training camp thread.

1st unit was: Salo, Stamkos, St. Louis, Malone, Purcell
2nd unit was: Carle, Bergeron/Hedman, Conacher/Johnson, Pouliot, Lecavalier

Could change anytime, though.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa

Lol you have Malone and Carle? Not liking your chances for fantasy hockey..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad