2012-13 WHL Playoff Thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Offensive depth for the Hawks is just too much for the Oil Kings to handle.

Also they haven't capitalized on their chances in Game 3 & 4.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Offensive depth for the Hawks is just too much for the Oil Kings to handle.

Also they haven't capitalized on their chances in Game 3 & 4.
This really stand out for me. While the Kings certainly have flubbed on a bunch of chances, I honestly cannot believe how good Portland is at making you pay for your mistakes. They consistently make something out of nothing and have phenomenal team speed. Leipsic especially scares me every time he touches the puck.

All that said, the Oil Kings were the better team tonight and I think they win game 5.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Lots of fair things being said, and Portland has almost proven a better road team than home team in these playoffs. However, I've seen this script before.

Friday is already sold out (lower bowl in the RG, anyway).

After everything that's transpired this year, Portland fans are at the point where a season of being excited for a great team AND totally pissed off meets a big point of release. Henrik Samuelsson didn't hurt that cause tonight. Portland fans create energy like few others. Usually, THIS year, the team knows how to feed off that without players getting too emotional.

Tue/Wed/Fri means a lot of kids will be playing on emotion.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
That was one of the best junior hockey games that I've ever watched. That includes the World Junior tournament. It's really too bad that the Oil Kings are missing Cheek and Reinhart.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
That was one of the best junior hockey games that I've ever watched. That includes the World Junior tournament. It's really too bad that the Oil Kings are missing Cheek and Reinhart.

I agree. Epic intense game. And I agree with the bolded statement. But we're just showing how versatile and how much depth we have. :cheers:

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
ST CROIX HAVE MY BABIES

Seriously, hats off to the man. He won't get the hat trick because the first goal was a Foster centering attempt that went off Petan's skate and in, but he was the best skater on the ice on either side and when you are playing the Winterhawks that is a massive compliment.

100% agree. Absolutely fantastic game. Can't wait for game 6, hopefully the intensity and level of play will carry over from Friday.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Awesome game. Glad I got the chance to watch it, in HD no less. I have to work a tomorrow afternoon, so I'll PVR it and hopefully not catch the score until after I'm off at 11pm. Fingers crossed.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Absolutely Unreal game in Barrie tonight. London was facing elimination tonight and scored 4 unanswered goals to get the 4-0 lead only for the Colts to come back and score 4 unanswered themselves and force Overtime, later on London scores and forces a game 7. So unreal.

Go Oil Kings!! ;)

Oct 15, 2008
Big game today. Final game of the year at Rexall. Win or lose the Oil Kings were fantastic this year. Pretty big accomplishment to beat a pretty good Calgary team and hang with a very good Portland team without Reinhart and Cheek.

Go Oil Kings!

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Going against the grain amongst the majority here, but I hope Portland wins it. A bit tough cheering for another Western Conference team, but having met numerous dedicated Winterhawk fans at games from 06-09, they deserve a title, especially after the last two years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Boys is this game on Shaw? They have had every game so far and I am not finding this one at all.

Also game 4 was much closer than the shots would indicate. Both Brossoit and Curruth let in some really ugly goals. Jones probably had his best game of the series and so did St. Croix. Hoping Hawks can end it tonight, but it will be hard because I think Kings now will taste hope.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Boys is this game on Shaw? They have had every game so far and I am not finding this one at all.

Also game 4 was much closer than the shots would indicate. Both Brossoit and Curruth let in some really ugly goals. Jones probably had his best game of the series and so did St. Croix. Hoping Hawks can end it tonight, but it will be hard because I think Kings now will taste hope.
Should be. If Shaw provides your cable check channel 303. Can't imagine t not being broadcasted.

No Cheek for Edmonton if anyone is wondering.

Only on pace for 10 000 at Rexall tonight, which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully the crowd can take a page out of the Rose Garden's patron's playbook and bring down the house for the boys.

Go Kings!

:yo:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
And there it is the Portland Winterhawks finally get that WHL Championship. Well deserved. Congrats! They outplayed us and good advantage of the Lucky Breaks. Nice try boys, we had a good year, not to be looked Negativity on. In this day and age it's just to hard to repeat. I know next year we'ill have a new look squad but will still have some good players. Nice try boys. Go Oil Kings!

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Congrats to the Winterhawks on a well deserved title. Outplayed the Kings in all areas tonight.

Should be interesting to see how Rattie transitions to the pros. He's a fantastic junior player, but I suspect that all those cutsey toe drags he pulls won't work at the next level. Hats off to him (pun intended) on his hat trick tonight.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
And the Winterhawks win the Ed Chynoweth Cup.

Good series by both teams.

Good luck to Portland at the Memorial Cup, they're my 2nd team to win it.

(Gotta go for the Mooseheads)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->