2011 vs 2012

jcarbone

Mar 8, 2010
Kind of a weird situation but just go with this scenairo...

In a fantasy league I have the 1st and 2nd overall in this years draft.
RNH is the only guy I really want to grab and would trade the other pick.

The absolute basement dweller GM in the league has offered me his 2012 1st round pick, that will easily be a top 3 pick, for 1 of my top 2 picks in this years draft.

So it comes down to whoever you have ranked for 2nd overall this year... Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson... vs a potential top pick in 2012 someone like Nail Yakupov who I think is a stud.

Would you make this move?

Thanks for any advice,

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Take it. IMO, since you have little interest in anyone else in this years draft.

Next years draft is absolutely STACKED. Top 3(in a fantasy league) has you with one of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Galchenyuk, Frk, Marcantuoni(It's a fantasy league, so I left out guys like Ebert and Reinhart).

The list goes on and on, depending on how these guys play next year you're looking at elite talent. The 2nd overall this year,(bold prediction warning) wouldn't go top 3 next year anyways.(With the exception of Larsson, who IMO is criminally underrated)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I would probably say keep the pick this year. I mean, you never know what could happen in regards to that pick....he could be good next year and you could get screwed by giving up a guaranteed top 2.

I would take Huberdeau and RNH.

MajorPain

Sep 25, 2009
I would probably say keep the pick this year. I mean, you never know what could happen in regards to that pick....he could be good next year and you could get screwed by giving up a guaranteed top 2.

I would take Huberdeau and RNH.

You got a good point as you never know what can happen...but I would still trade the 2nd overall for his 1st of next year as I strongly believe that next year's draft is stacked with much better talent than this one.

To back yourself up, put in a condition that if his pick isn't a 1st or 2nd overall next year, he'll have to throw in his 2nd and 3rd round picks to compensate you.

Yakupov, Grigorenko and Murray...I would take any of these 3 before anyone of 2011.

I feel that this year's draft is filled with potential top 6 Forwards/top 4 Dmens, which is good but not great...while 2012 actually has some top end talent that will become star 1st liners and 1st pairing puck moving Dmens.

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
I agree with the poster saying you never know whats going to happen with the pick. Making a projection on a current roster is the same then looking into a crystal ball.

Plus, your going to give a 2nd overall in 2011, and have to wait a whole year to maybe draft 2nd overall in 2012? Time has a price and he should be at least dropping a 2nd round pick in order to pay for that year of developpement. Technically, your going to have to wait one more year to harvest the benefits of a 2012 prospect compared to a 2011.

I would not touch this deal with a 10 foot pole, unless he brings a little more to the table.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
You got a good point as you never know what can happen...but I would still trade the 2nd overall for his 1st of next year as I strongly believe that next year's draft is stacked with much better talent than this one.

To back yourself up, put in a condition that if his pick isn't a 1st or 2nd overall next year, he'll have to throw in his 2nd and 3rd round picks to compensate you.

Yakupov, Grigorenko and Murray...I would take any of these 3 before anyone of 2011.

I feel that this year's draft is filled with potential top 6 Forwards/top 4 Dmens, which is good but not great...while 2012 actually has some top end talent that will become star 1st liners and 1st pairing puck moving Dmens.

MajorPain echoed my thoughts exactly. I like the conditional option, although I doubt the other GM will go for it. Even then, I would still do that trade. You have the top two picks, you can afford to lose the 2nd one and still get the guy you like. None of the players this year are going to make or break a year for anyone in any league. At most, one player could be a 50 - 60 player but that seems to very rare.

Trade your 2nd (and try to get a little more using the time factor as an explanation) and still pick RNH with your first. Then next year with a top 3 pick, you very likely can grab one of the three Russians. Even a top 5 pick and your not losing out on much.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
since these are stats only murphy would be a great pickup, just sayin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad