WJC: 2011 U18 World Championship (rosters and general talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Of course, no other nation would complain they didn't have their best at a tournament, would they? Well, a few did complain because Sweden were missing a few at the World Juniors, a few were complaining that the US was missing Fowler......but no one, other than Canadians would mention an obvisous fact that the team they're sending is missing some key players.....no way, not a chance huh?:shakehead And of course no NHL team fan would mention that their team is missing a player or two and with them in the lineup, the outcome might have been different. No, it's only Canadians that complain.

Newflash: If any other country had the disadvantage that Canada always has and more so than any other country you can bet your sweet petinua that the fans of that country would complain too.

By the way, seeing that Canadians are the only ones who complain and seeing so many (especially Swedes) think that Canada gets favourable treatment from the officials, here's what I would do if I was Hockey Canada.

Stop participating in all international tournaments and that includes the Under 18's and the Under 20 and the WC.

I'd much rather see more best on best with Canadian teams anyways and those that don't like Canadians pointing out (exactly what they would be doing too) well, they can be happy that you don't have to put up with the reffs favouring Canada, the schedule maker favouring Canada, Canada always getting the better dressing rooms, the better hotels, the better transportaion to the rinks, etc, etc, etc.

PS: it's proper and only decent that you capitalize the first letter in a country name.

Everybody knew Canda didn't have their best at the tournament before it started, why to mention it again now then? And speaking about that disadvantage you're talking about - it's nothing anyone else but Canada should care about. It's caused by schedule of CHL which is completely their problem (Hockey Canada), not IIHF's or somebody else.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Everybody knew Canda didn't have their best at the tournament before it started, why to mention it again now then? And speaking about that disadvantage you're talking about - it's nothing anyone else but Canada should care about. It's caused by schedule of CHL which is completely their problem (Hockey Canada), not IIHF's or somebody else.

yes, I agree

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
You have the same argumentative problem as the other guy. You're stating that the CHL should have to make all the compromise while other countries should do nothing. You're not complaining because the situation works entirely in your favor.

Other countries don't have to do anything because their schedules are already in order.
Of course the CHL should make all the compromise, or do you think the IIHF should re-schedule so Canada can send a better team? :laugh:

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Of course, no other nation would complain they didn't have their best at a tournament, would they? Well, a few did complain because Sweden were missing a few at the World Juniors, a few were complaining that the US was missing Fowler......but no one, other than Canadians would mention an obvisous fact that the team they're sending is missing some key players.....no way, not a chance huh?:shakehead And of course no NHL team fan would mention that their team is missing a player or two and with them in the lineup, the outcome might have been different. No, it's only Canadians that complain.

Newflash: If any other country had the disadvantage that Canada always has and more so than any other country you can bet your sweet petinua that the fans of that country would complain too.

By the way, seeing that Canadians are the only ones who complain and seeing so many (especially Swedes) think that Canada gets favourable treatment from the officials, here's what I would do if I was Hockey Canada.

Stop participating in all international tournaments and that includes the Under 18's and the Under 20 and the WC.

I'd much rather see more best on best with Canadian teams anyways and those that don't like Canadians pointing out (exactly what they would be doing too) well, they can be happy that you don't have to put up with the reffs favouring Canada, the schedule maker favouring Canada, Canada always getting the better dressing rooms, the better hotels, the better transportaion to the rinks, etc, etc, etc.

PS: it's proper and only decent that you capitalize the first letter in a country name.

Do you not think Canadian juniors would be the ones that suffer with a lack of experience of competing at the international level? I mean a WJC tournament with Russian, American, Swedish, Finnish, Czech, Slovak.. juniors would still be a quality competition even if there wouldn't be the same kind of audience at the games.

Sounds to me as if you're throwing the toys out of the pram because Canada lost.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well Yakupov has taken this game over. SHG just now gives Russia a 4-2 lead.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Murphy is such an elite talent. He's going to make some team very happy in the top 10.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Compare Sweden and USA in this categories.

Scoring efficency: USA 11.98% Sweden 9.39%
Power play: USA 29.63% Sweden 20.00%
Penalty killing: USA 78.57% Sweden 75.00%
Goalkeeping: USA 92.64% Sweden 91.43%

Stuff like this is what decides who win big finals. This means that Sweden got to outshoot USA by quite a bit and get a lot more PP's to have a chance to win.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Murphy is such an elite talent. He's going to make some team very happy in the top 10.

Agreed, but top 10, not top 5 like some may think. He is the best offensive defensive prospect in some time, but some of the stuff he does on a shift to shift basis WILL NOT work as a pro. Makes me wonder if anyone else sees that.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Since I don't feel like reading this thread and I can't find anything anywhere else how is Zibanejad doing? I'm curious because he seems like the one the Bruins pick at 9.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Agreed, but top 10, not top 5 like some may think. He is the best offensive defensive prospect in some time, but some of the stuff he does on a shift to shift basis WILL NOT work as a pro. Makes me wonder if anyone else sees that.

that's what I'm thinking as well. His offense on the PP will translate just fine. The rest of his game isn't bad but it's incomplete and I'd still much rather have more rounded guys like Siemens as a top 10 pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
congratulation to Russia, to bronze medal

The game isn't over yet...

that's what I'm thinking as well. His offense on the PP will translate just fine. The rest of his game isn't bad but it's incomplete and I'd still much rather have more rounded guys like Siemens as a top 10 pick.

I don't necessarily mean his defensive play, which I think is still fine. What I mean more are some of the chances he takes. For example, in the 2nd period against Russia, he broke up the right side, put the puck between the Russian defenders legs, walked around him and got a great scoring chance. Stuff like that will not work at the next level. That defensive player could have easily picked that puck off and turned it up ice for an odd man break the other way. NHL teams have to see that and likely won't be overly blown away by some of the things he pulls against 17 year old players.

I still think he is a great prospect and a valid top 10 pick, I just don't expect some of his bread and butter moves to translate all that well.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

No way.

The post lockout era is all about skating and Murphy is in a class of his own in that regard. Controlling the pace of the game and opening seams for his forwards is something you need from your blueliners.

I see him turning into a Letang/Keith/Boyle type of blueliner and I would take a player like that any day of the week. Generating points from the back end is a must and if there's a team that's been sucking it up over the past couple of years... it's the Devils.

(Just look at my avatar and you'll understand ;))

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

The game isn't over yet...

I don't necessarily mean his defensive play, which I think is still fine. What I mean more are some of the chances he takes. For example, in the 2nd period against Russia, he broke up the right side, put the puck between the Russian defenders legs, walked around him and got a great scoring chance. Stuff like that will not work at the next level. That defensive player could have easily picked that puck off and turned it up ice for an odd man break the other way. NHL teams have to see that and likely won't be overly blown away by some of the things he pulls against 17 year old players.

I still think he is a great prospect and a valid top 10 pick, I just don't expect some of his bread and butter moves to translate all that well.

I do agree that his toe drags won't work at the next level but he's soooo shifty and can stop, turn and accelerate on a dime while controlling the puck and making a heads up pass/breakout.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Good game by the Russians as once again between the pipes was a bit of a downfall for Canada. You can't give up 5 goals and expect to win a game of that magnitude. Was entertaining though. And I must say, Russia is going to be a force at the WJHC over the next few years with guys like Grigorenko, Yakupov and Kucherov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->