2011 playoff lineup Vs 2014 lineup

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
I want to have a discussion about how the lineup as it currently stands matches up against the lineup that started the playoffs in 2011.

Where are we better? Where are we worse? Where do we need to improve (by trade if possible)?

2011 playoff lineup
Lucic, Krejci, Horton
Marchand, Bergeron, Recchi
Kelly, Peverley, Ryder
Paille, Campbell, Thornton

Chara , Seidenberg
Ference, Boychuk
Kaberle, McQuaid

Thomas

Current lineup

Lucic, Krejci, Iginla
Marchand, Bergeron, Smith
Kelly, Soderberg, Eriksson

Chara, Hamilton
Bartkowski, Boychuk
Krug, McQuaid/Miller

Rask

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I want to have a discussion about how the lineup as it currently stands matches up against the lineup that started the playoffs in 2011.

Where are we better? Where are we worse? Where do we need to improve (by trade if possible)?

2011 playoff lineup
Lucic, Krejci, Horton
Marchand, Bergeron, Recchi
Kelly, Peverley, Ryder

Chara , Seidenberg
Ference, Boychuk
Kaberle, McQuaid

Thomas

Current lineup

Lucic, Krejci, Iginla
Marchand, Bergeron, Smith
Kelly, Soderberg, Eriksson

Chara, Hamilton
Bartkowski, Boychuk
Krug, McQuaid/Miller

Rask

Line 1- I'll take 14
Line 2- toss up (Smith better player but no PO exp.)
Line 3- I'll take 14
Line 4- Same line

D1- I'll take 11
D2- Toss up
D3- I'll take 14

G- Equal

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007
I think any realistic comparison of the playoff lineups should consider the 13th forward who will step in at the first injury.

In 2011 it was Tyler Seguin, he was able to produce and add a ton of speed when called on.

For illustration, in 2013 it was Kaspar Daugavins, who I will never forget for his inability to bury it in Game 1 of the SCF.

The depth, and God like performances of certain players in 2011 was what brought a cup.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think any realistic comparison of the playoff lineups should consider the 13th forward who will step in at the first injury.

In 2011 it was Tyler Seguin, he was able to produce and add a ton of speed when called on.

For illustration, in 2013 it was Kaspar Daugavins, who I will never forget for his inability to bury it in Game 1 of the SCF.

The depth, and God like performances of certain players in 2011 was what brought a cup.

This year it will be Spooner who could have a similar impact for 1 game as Seguin did

young, fast, fresh legs, skilled player

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Line 1- I'll take 14
Line 2- toss up (Smith better player but no PO exp.)
Line 3- I'll take 14
Line 4- Same line

D1- I'll take 11
D2- Toss up
D3- I'll take 14

G- Equal

Goalie is not equal. Thomas was historically good that postseason.

Player by player:

1LW: Same
1C: Same
1RW: I'd take Horton

2LW: I'll take 2014 Marchand barely
2C: I actually think 2014 Bergeron is better
2RW: Smith is better. And we have enough leadership/experience elsewhere now

3LW: 2011 Kelly by a decent margin
3C: About the same
3RW: I don't know what to expect from Loui in the postseason, but I'd be satisfied if we get what we got from Ryder

4LW: Same
4C: 2011 Campbell was better
4RW: 2011 Thornton was better

Extras: Seguin was better than Spooner

1LD: 2011 Chara was probably a little better
1RD: Seidenberg by a lot (not that I don't like Dougie)

2LD: Ference by a lot (again, not that I don't like Bart)
2RD: 2014 Boychuk is better

3LD: Krug by a lot (I still like Kaberle though)
3RD: About the same

Extras: Miller is better than Hnidy

G: Thomas for sure (and 2011 Rask over Ocho)

I think our current group of forwards looks better, especially if Loui starts to play like an All Star, but the 2011 defense and goaltending made that team better.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Goalie is not equal. Thomas was historically good that postseason.

11' Thomas 1.98 .940%

13' Rask 1.88 .940%

I think there equal

Reason we didnt win the cup last year is we didnt get the depth scoring like in '11 but I believe we have it again this year.

In 2011 we got 24 goals from our bottom 6 fowards
In 2013 we got 12 goals from our bottom 6

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Forwards: 2014
Defense: 2011
Goalies: Wash
PP: 2014
PK: 2011

At full health I'd probably take 2014 defense, but without Seidenberg that group takes a huge hit.

Dtb1381

Dec 30, 2011
Boston
I don't mean to be a negative nancy about this team, but

Lucic 14>Lucic 11
Krejci>14>Krejci 11
Horton=Iginla

Bergeron=Bergeron
Marchand=Marchand
Smith over Recchi

Eriksson=Ryder as of now
Kelly 11>Kelly 14
Peverley= Soderberg

Paille 14> paille 11
Campbell and thornton 11'>14

Seguin>Caron

Forwards are about even, slight edge to 14

This is where it gets tricky

Thomas>Rask
It won't be matched, at least I don't think.

Chara 11> Chara 14 by a good margin
Seidenberg> Hamilton
Ference>Bart
Boychuck 14>Boychuck 11, but by very little
Krug> Kaberle
Mcquaid= mcquaid

I guess it's closer then I thought, but it's all about D and goaltending. It will come down to that

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
11' Thomas 1.98 .940%

13' Rask 1.88 .940%

I think there equal

Reason we didnt win the cup last year is we didnt get the depth scoring like in '11 but I believe we have it again this year.

In 2011 we got 24 goals from our bottom 6 fowards
In 2013 we got 12 goals from our bottom 6

Just because the same player in 2014 is in the same position (Lucic, Krecji, Bergeron, etc) as 2011, does not make it equal.

For the most part it should be a little bit better because most players are still in their prime, and have more experience.

The big negative would be Chara and age, but most if not all others should be better.
That of course does not mean stanley cup.
Luck , lack of injuries, and who gets hot have a big influence on who wins, but I like the B's chances as they currently sit.
do

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I don't mean to be a negative nancy about this team, but

Lucic 14>Lucic 11
Krejci>14>Krejci 11
Horton=Iginla

Bergeron=Bergeron
Marchand=Marchand
Smith over Recchi

Eriksson=Ryder as of now
Kelly 11>Kelly 14
Peverley= Soderberg

Paille 14> paille 11
Campbell and thornton 11'>14

Seguin>Caron

Forwards are about even, slight edge to 14

This is where it gets tricky

Thomas>Rask
It won't be matched, at least I don't think.

Chara 11> Chara 14 by a good margin
Seidenberg> Hamilton
Ference>Bart
Boychuck 14>Boychuck 11, but by very little
Krug> Kaberle
Mcquaid= mcquaid

I guess it's closer then I thought, but it's all about D and goaltending. It will come down to that

Only thing I'll disagree with here is using Caron as the 13th forward. He's the extra skater, obviously, but if Bergeron goes down again Spooner's coming up, not Caron.

I'd trust Spooner at 21 (is he 21 or 22?) to step in at center more than I'd trust Seguin at 19, but it's probably really close.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

This is a good thread... But will need to be revisited after the deadline.

- As it stands, the top line is better with Iginla (marginally, I'd wager). 2014

- What the second line loses in leadership with Recchi gone, it makes up for in leadership with Bergeron and Marchand who have both won and been to the Finals in recent years - PLUS they add some slick skill in Reilly Smith. They MAY require a more wrecking ball presence, but as it stands... I like the second line more. 2014

- Third line? Much better this season. Kelly/Soderberg/Eriksson is bigger and three-zone smarter than '11. Substantial upgrade. 2014

- Merlot looks the same on paper, but it certainly appears to me that Thornton has lost a step and I'm seeing them getting hemmed in their own zone far too often for my liking. 2011

- Chara and whoever ends up being Chara's partner won't end up being anywhere near as good as Chara/Seidenberg. Big Z is just a step behind where he was in 2011 and there just is no replacing Seids on that pair. Even if there's a new body there: 2011

- Second pair ??? Could be great. Likely will be very young. Ference/Boychuk was money though and this will be tough to best. 2011 (subject to change)

- Krug with McQuaid or Miller? This will be better. Kaberle was decent for us and provided a boost to the transition game. But the powerplay still sucked like a ****ity suck and with Krug, we are much better off. However this pairs off, I much prefer 2014

Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Thornton and Campbell have played like garbage so far. Drop Kelly on the 4th, waive Thornton, call up Spooner, swith Eriksoon and Smith, trade for a top 4 defensive D and I'm confident this team can crush the Eastern Conference.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it's too tough to judge Horton and Recchi vs. Iginla and Smith accurately. Both Horton and Rex were fantastic in the playoffs, but I think I'd take Iginla/Smith over them based on what I've seen from them in the regular season. I just hope they can be as effective in the playoffs.

Our "big 4" of the top 6 should be the same, only Lucic should be better than he was during that playoff run. You could argue the other 3 are a bit better now too.

I think 2014's 3rd line has a lot more potential, but 2011's third line was extremely solid, especially defensively. Soderberg and Eriksson have the potential to take that line to a whole new level though.

I think Pie might be better now, Campbell is the same, and Thornton is worse. Overall, about the same.

Chara isn't quite as good, and Seidenberg vs. Hamilton is no contest. Huge advantage 2011.

Boychuk is the same (maybe a bit better), and Ference is better than Bart, although I expect that to be addressed at the deadline.

Krug-McQuaid/Miller I much prefer to Kaberle-McQuaid.

Thomas > Rask, although not considerably. Rask is obviously a better backup option than Johnson.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'd give the nod to 2014... But what really matters is who gets hot at the right time. In 2011, after Game 3 vs. Montreal, we were just red hot. Went on for pretty much the rest of the postseason with a few valleys in between. 2012? We couldn't buy a goal. Losing Horton hurt a ton, but that team was better than 2011. We didn't get hot, first round exit. After Game 7 vs. Toronto, we just went on a domination streak. Couldn't get past Chicago, but we were hot for the rest of the playoffs.

Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, and Bergeron are all better and more experienced now than they were in 2011. Iginla = Horton, but he'll have to match his playoff heroics. I'll give Rex the slight edge over Smith. 3rd line is close... Depends on if Eriksson gets back to his former self, which I expect he will. But it's hard to overlook how Ryder and Peverley could take the 1st/2nd line spots when an injury came, and we didn't look any worse for wear. 4th line was better back in 2011, they were the best in the league. Thornton and Campbell have both really lost a step, although I'd argue Paille is a lot better. He always steps it up in the playoffs, too. A Paille-Kelly-Campbell line would be ideal, and potentially better. But as of now, Paille-Campbell-Thornton is looking pretty rough.

Defense is worse. Chara is about the same, maybe a bit worse. Seidenberg is out, which is massive. Ference came up huge for us. A lot depends on how Krug and Hamilton, and potentially Bartkowski step up. But it's hard to beat that defense.

Goaltending is about equal, but it goes to Timmy. We don't, or at least didn't last year have to rely on Tuukka as much as we relied on Timmy back in 2011. But if Tuukka steals Game 4 vs. Chicago by just letting in one less goal in that 6-5 game... We head to Chicago with a 3-1 lead in the series. Can't remember a goal in that game that was really his fault, but sometimes you need to make a superhuman save.

Overall, offense is a lot better. No question if Eriksson gets back to his 60-70 point self, and if Smith keeps up how he's playing. Defense is worse, but the kids can make it a conversation. Goaltending is about equal, maybe a little worse. I'd say this year is better, a lot of it based on experience. But again, a lot matters on whether or not you get hot at the right time.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
2014 would be better for sure if Seids was in it. With out him its tough. Horton huge huge advantage over Jerome but after that 2014 wins out in most areas. We actually have way more depth up front and on defense. Segs had a couple great playoff games but honestly he wasn't much in 2011 compared to the 2012 and 2013 player he was. Recchi is a folk hero around here but to me that line has constantly gotten better with out him. I am also not a huge ryder fan but I cant knock his playoff in 2011. I miss Pevs prime from 2011. I am of the belief this team has actually gotten better every year since 2011 but the results just vary due to luck etc. I have said it a million times and I hate the habs as much as the rest of you but we were pretty lucky to get out of that series. Goaltending is tough to rate Thomas was pretty well the reason we beat the canucks and had a lot to do with individual game wins against tbay and philly, montreal he had amazing ups and amazing bad goals. Rask was great last year but probably didn't steal as many wins as Timmy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad