2011 NHL Draft late pickups

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
i could've sworn i saw this already but i just couldnt find it. anyways, i was wondering which prospects did you want your team to pick up in the later rounds, those "hidden gems".

i'll start it off. im hoping that the sens nab up jean-gabriel pageau from the gatineau olympiques. he's undersized but the kid is a wizard with the puck. putting up some ridiculous points in the playoffs right now. outplayed couturier while gatineau took out the voltigeurs.

suggestions?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
From the Stouffville Sprint of the OJHL, Bennan Serville. To me, this kid is really good. Hard slap shot, and can play big. Actually he is big, 6'2", 175 lbs.

Scored 30 points in 36 games as a defender for Stouffville

He was recruited into the OJHL by his brother, and he has done really well!

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I wanted the Oilers to draft Charles Inglis in the 7th round last year. Tough kid who plays a two way game. I figured he could become a atleast decent fourth line player, and that he had some untapped offensive potential considering the where he played on the depth chart last year.

I should be a scout apparently, kid has had a pretty good year despite being undrafted. I mean, the kid doesn't have great wheels, and is kind of small for someone who projects to be an agitating grinder... I just feel like he is worth taking a flier on.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I wanted the Oilers to draft Charles Inglis in the 7th round last year. Tough kid who plays a two way game. I figured he could become a atleast decent fourth line player, and that he had some untapped offensive potential considering the where he played on the depth chart last year.

I should be a scout apparently, kid has had a pretty good year despite being undrafted. I mean, the kid doesn't have great wheels, and is kind of small for someone who projects to be an agitating grinder... I just feel like he is worth taking a flier on.

He wasn't picked because he has a **** attitude.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

119235061.MtWCuKi9.jpg

Kulebeans

Mar 20, 2010
Toronto
From the Stouffville Spirit of the OJHL, Brennan Serville. To me, this kid is really good. Hard slap shot, and can play big. Actually he is big, 6'3", 180 lbs.

Scored 30 points in 36 games as a defender for Stouffville

He was recruited into the OJHL by his brother, and he has done really well!

Just making some corrections but yes Brennan is a fine young hockey player.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
A couple guys down East...

I agree on Jean-Gabriel Pageau of Gatineau, 5'9" 164lbs...19pts in 11 playoff games...small in stature but has some Giroux in him, smart and slippery...though with his performance he may go before round 7.

Quebec has a late bloomer in Alexadre Grenier, he played Jr.A 1st half and put up 24 points in 31 games, then 7-7-14 in 10 playoff games, he is 19 so 3rd year eligible but 6'5" and has a long powerful stride that gets him breakaways and he has good finish.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Someone that hasnt been on any list cause he was available but passed up is Pierre Durepos from Saint John. He is steady as a rock on the blueline, and imo would be listed above pratically every Sea Dog in this draft not names Huberdeau,Beaulieu,Phillips and Jurco. Maybe Scott Oke and him could be around the same position.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Dan Cattenaci for the leafs. Kind of had a bad OHL career, but I know him personally, kid is going to be amazing. Probably 2nd round though so I dunno if thats considered late.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Someone that hasnt been on any list cause he was available but passed up is Pierre Durepos from Saint John. He is steady as a rock on the blueline, and imo would be listed above pratically every Sea Dog in this draft not names Huberdeau,Beaulieu,Phillips and Jurco. Maybe Scott Oke and him could be around the same position.

The problem with Durepos is that he is not very big and not very fast. Plus, he hasn't torn up the Q offensively either. I don't see him getting drafted this year, maybe at 19 if he has a monster offensive year.

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006
Dan Cattenaci for the leafs. Kind of had a bad OHL career, but I know him personally, kid is going to be amazing. Probably 2nd round though so I dunno if thats considered late.

Probably doesn't count. :)

But I've always thought his brother Michael Catenacci looked like a good speedy and talented, if undersized, forward for Kitchener. I wouldn't be surprised to see an NHL team take a chance on him in free agency.

But then again, I'm not a scout.

VLoo

May 11, 2007
Toronto
Probably doesn't count. :)

But I've always thought his brother Michael Catenacci looked like a good speedy and talented, if undersized, forward for Kitchener. I wouldn't be surprised to see an NHL team take a chance on him in free agency.

But then again, I'm not a scout.

Funny enough, he has a brother named Michael, but the one on Kitchener is not him, his brother is bouncing around the OJHL, or may be out of it now.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Dan Catenacci's brother does not play for Kitchener, and Dan has not had a bad OHL career? He scored over a PPG this year, and was the teams best player...

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Here is my guess as to the bargains that are left based on Central Scouting’s (CS) final rankings. Based on doing this last year, there will be enough of the selections I have as 4th round to last you through to the end of the draft - generally, a list of 120 is good enough to last a team to the end of the draft because other team's have significantly different lists after its comes to the 3rd round.I have also left a brief description as to why my rankings may differ from CS. Generally, they fall into the following categories:
1. Injuries/illnesses - CS generally does not rank injured/ill players highly if at all - Couturier, Puempel, Tvrdon, Placek, Thomas
2. Overagers - CS generally places a ranking on overagers less than where they will go in the draft or sometimes they just omit them. - Kichton, Jokipakka, Balisy, Dahlbeck, Stastny, Grenier, Coleman, Marchenko, Dvurechensky, O’Brien
3. Special characteristics - CS evaluates draftees on their overall talent whereas GM’s may draft a candidate higher who has a special characteristic or talent such as size or fighting ability - Sproul, McKee, Vance, Gernat, Kessy
4. U18 performance - CS does their evaluations before the U18 which can have a big impact on where a player gets drafted - Scheifele, Klefbom, Kucherov, Russo, Rask, Boucher, Yarullin.
5. Playoff performance - Like the U18, CS does their evaluations before most of the playoffs occur - Leivo
6. Upside evaluation - While two scouts may agree on a player’s current performance, they have a harder time agreeing on what type of performance that player may have done the road in the NHL - Khokhlachev, Clendening, Hofmann, Lowe, Forsberg, Pribyl, Sergeev
7. Goalies - Goalies are special, on that, almost everyone can agree. Beyond that, not so much - I am not much of a goalie forecaster but to get a better appreciation on most of this year’s potential draftees, go to Jerry Shields blogspot on goalies - http://www.goalierankings.com/ - Machovsky, Makarov.
8. Errors - And yes, CS and I are likely to be wrong quite a bit of the time - Skinner is the best example from last year of a poor candidate evaluation.

In looking back at the 2003 to 2005 entry drafts, it is interesting to note the success rate for each of the rounds. By my calculations (players that are NHL regulars for the most part-your list could be slightly different), here are the figures:
01-15 – 82% (03-93%; 04-73%; 05-80%)
16-30 – 76% (03-93%; 04-67%; 05-67%)
31-45 – 33% (03-33%; 04- 7%; 05-60%)
46-60 – 24% (03-33%; 04-33%; 05- 7%)
61-90 - 24% (03-33%; 04-20%; 05-20%)
91-120 - 19% (03-10%; 04-30%; 05-17%)
120-150 - 11% (03-10%; 04-13%; 05-10%)
151-180 - 9% (03-13%; 04-13%; 05- 0%)
181-210 - 10% (03-17%; 04- 3%; 05-10%)
Over 210 - 12% (03-13%; 04-10%; 05-15%)
Overall - 23% (03-25%; 04-20%; 05-23%)

1st half of 1st round - Up more than 5 spaces from Central Scouting Combined
1. Couturier, Sean: CSC = 7 - Belief that mono resulted in the improvement expected of him this year being delayed till next year. Note: I still expect Edmonton to take RNH.
2. Puempel, Matt: CSC = 33 - Belief that this is the best goal scorer of the draft and a Jeff Skinner like bad ranking from CS
3. Scheifele, Mark: CSC = 20 - U18 performance plus belief that this guy has a bigger upside than many are projecting - this year’s Ryan Johansen late bloomer.
2nd half of 1st round - Up more than 10 spaces from CSC
1. Khokhlachev, Alexander: CSC = 34 - This is a guy I am wavering on but currently have his upside as a top 6 NHLer.
2. Klefbom, Oscar: CSC = 43 - U18 performance + higher upside projection
2nd round - Up more than 15 spaces from CSC
1. Kucherov, Nikita: CSC = 104 - U18 performance, wow!!!
2. Clendening, Adam: CSC = 56 - This year’s Kevin Shattenkirk type - had a good 1st year in university
3. Russo, Robbie: CSC = 69 - U18 performance
4. Rask, Victor: CSC = 75 - U18 performance
5. Sproul, Ryan: CSC = 68 - 6’4 guy with almost Subbanesque like shot and one-timer plus mobility, agility and ability from a big guy. GM’s will pay big for this kind of guy even if he currently has some defensive shortcomings
6. Hofmann, Gregory: CSC = 71 - Just my belief that this guy is just a little bit of meat and bones away from being special
7. McColgan, Shane: CSC = 167 - Playoff performance
3rd round - Up more than 30 spaces from CSC
1. Tvrdon, Marek: CSC = 285 - Injured most of the year, size and skills, this year’s Curtis Hamilton
2. Boucher, Reid: CSC = 149 - U18 and other recent international performance has been the best or close to the best of the US NDP U18
3. Kichton, Brenden: CSC = Unranked - Small PP set-up guy with excellent D and excellent stats
4. Harrington, Scott: CSC = 128 - Mark Hunter says this guy will be an NHLer - Mark knows more than I do and is also a good player evaluator.
5. Lowe, Keegan: CSC = 114 - His Dad’s recommendation
6. Yarullin, Albert: CSC = Undrafted - U18 performance
7. Jokipakka, Jyrki: CSC = 232 - Overager who wowed them at the U20 with his solid performance
8. Placek, Petr: CSC = 284 - Injured most of the year, 6’4 210 lb. size will make it hard for GM’s to back off
9. Balisy, Chase: CSC = Unranked - Overager with ability and results in 1st year university
10. McKee, Michael: CSC = 192 - Man-child who can skate - 6’5 230 - the rest is projection and pleasant dreaming
4th round - Up more than 30 spaces from CSC
1. Thomas, Justin: CSC = Unranked - Injured most of the year, a poor man’s power forward with decent size and a touch of nasty
2. Dahlbeck, Klas: CSC = 141 - Overager - One of the better U20 performers, a late bloomer
3. Kessy, Kale: CSC = 132 - A poor man’s Milan Lucic comes at a premium
4. Stastny, Anton: CSC = 247 - Overager - 6’4 215 lb. centers who show even flashes of brilliance are not going to be overlooked
5. Grenier, Alexandre: CSC = Unranked = Overager; 6’5 guys who can skate and dangle and score causing every beer in the arena to spill come at a premium
6. Vance, Troy: CSC = 198 = 6’5 guys who can monster mash guys out cold come with a premium
7. Coleman, Blake: CSC = 264 - Overager; small guy who can skate, put up major points and has been compared to Bobby Clarke
8. Matej Machovsky: CSC = 181 - Decent sized goalie who backed up most of the year and therefore lacked exposure
9. Alexei Marchenko: CSC = 153 - Overager, PP QB who did not get any international exposure - add a little strength and U have a real good player
10. Dvurechensky, Nikita: CSC = Undrafted - Overager, 6’3 size combined with the demonstated ability to score in small rinks (Subway Super Series + U20) plus a gold medal @ the U20.
11. Gernat, Martin: CSC = Undrafted - 6’5 guys U18 performance plus the success of Martin Marincin last year means that this Slovak is likely to be drafted
12. Leivo, Joshua: CSC = Unranked - Playoff performance
13. Forsberg, Jesse: CSC = 221 - Some people believe his skating will not develop enough for the bigs - others do
14. Pribyl, Daniel: CSC = 280 - a 6’3†project who has skill and can score - too high a projection not to be drafted when they are many out there without much projection
15. Sergeev, Artem: CSC = Unranked - Decent size, decent skills, plays against the top lines - no idea why this guy went unranked
16. Makarov, Andrey: CSC = Unranked - after the top 4 (the Gibsons, Perhonen and Hellberg), I am not impressed with CS’s goalie lists, let alone their rankings. Size, athleticism, agility, lacking some of the technical stuff.
17. O’Brien, Zach: CSC = Unranked - Overager - an offensive guy who lost the QMJHL rookie award to U18 selectee Charles Hudon

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If you believe Central Scouting, no where. Maybe, his playoff performance could make him a late pick, we shall see in June.

Should be picked - will be a shame if he's passed over. It's his second time through the draft, but even last year he was a day from being a 2011 pick anyways. He was relied on heavily by London and performed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad