2011 NHL Draft Forwards - Offensive Potential

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
How would some of the top forwards for this year's draft (RNH, Landeskog, Couturier, Strome, Huberdeau, Bartschi, Zibanejad, and perhaps more) rank based on their offensive potential (i.e. how many goals, assists, and points do you see them reaching)?

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
RNH - 85 pt potential
Strome - 80 pt potential
Huberdeau - 80 pt potential
Couturier - 75 pt potential
Landeskog - 70 pt potential

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
what about Zibanejad and Biggs
can anyone who sees these guys play comment on their offensive tools/upside

Manny*

I'd say:

Nugent-Hopkins
Strome
Huberdeau
Couturier
Landeskog
Zibanejad
Grimaldi
Bartschi
Saad

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Top 5, on offensive potential alone:

RNH
Strome
Couturier
Huberdeau
Landeskog

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
RNH - 85 pt potential
Strome - 80 pt potential
Huberdeau - 80 pt potential
Couturier - 75 pt potential
Landeskog - 70 pt potential

Agreed as well. I think RNH has the potential to break 90 pts.

Also, not going to guess at his point ceiling, but Murphy has the potential to be much better than Mike Green (as a d-man, his point ceiling will depend a ton on the team he plays with).

And Zinjebad probably won't catch any of the top 5 forward point totals, but I think he could also be a 30+ goal, 30+ aassist guy.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
1 - Strome
2 - Couturier
3 - Landeskog
4 - RNH
5 - Huberdeau

That's just pure offensive potential.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He's much more higher risk and the odds of him hitting his potential are lower, but Grimaldi's offensive potential is right up there with the top guys. His size makes him a wild card, but he could certainly end up a ppg player in the NHL.

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
1 - Strome
2 - Couturier
3 - Landeskog
4 - RNH
5 - Huberdeau

That's just pure offensive potential.

From all accounts, that list is completely wrong. It doesn't agree with any of the rankings that have come out from any scouting services or McKenzie's list.

But as a Sens fan, I guess it makes sense for you to think Strome has the highest offensive potential -- he's the best guy that will be left on the board when your team picks (barring a lotto win).

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
From all accounts, that list is completely wrong. It doesn't agree with any of the rankings that have come out from any scouting services or McKenzie's list.

But as a Sens fan, I guess it makes sense for you to think Strome has the highest offensive potential -- he's the best guy that will be left on the board when your team picks (barring a lotto win).

We could be drafting 1st and he'd still have Strome rated as the best. That's CPM for you.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

So I guess Skinner putting up the most points in his rookie season is completely wrong because it didn't coincide with rankings?

You act like these scouting services are perfect, or that BMac actually scouts all these guys. Scouting isn't a science, it's an art. From what I've seen, and from statistical analysis, these are my beliefs.

I've watched all the players listed, and I like to make decisions for myself. I'm not just going to blindly read scouting rankings and ignore the things that I see and stats.

We could be drafting 1st and he'd still have Strome rated as the best. That's CPM for you.

If we're drafting first I would like us to take Landeskog. I believe I already posted my draft order. It's pretty fluid as I'm still figuring some things out and trying to get more footage in, but as of yesterday it was:

Landeskog
Couturier
Strome
Larsson
RNH

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
So I guess Skinner putting up the most points in his rookie season is completely wrong because it didn't coincide with rankings?

No one saw that coming. Skinner didn't even see it coming. Scouts act on the best information they have, there are still surprises.

You act like these scouting services are perfect, or that BMac actually scouts all these guys. Scouting isn't a science, it's an art. From what I've seen, and from statistical analysis, these are my beliefs.

I've watched all the players listed, and I like to make decisions for myself. I'm not just going to blindly read scouting rankings and ignore the things that I see and stats.

It just seems a little silly to disagree significantly with the rankings of professionals that spend a lot more time watching these players than you do (presumably, you aren't a professional scout yourself), and who also have a better idea what will and won't translate to the NHL.

But I guess if everyone was just going to post MacKenzie or CSS lists, it would be a pretty redundant thread. So nevermind.

Maybe posting the reasons for your massive divergence in opinion would create good debate.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No one saw that coming. Skinner didn't even see it coming. Scouts act on the best information they have, there are still surprises.

It just seems a little silly to disagree significantly with the rankings of professionals that spend a lot more time watching these players than you do (presumably, you aren't a professional scout yourself), and who also have a better idea what will and won't translate to the NHL.

But I guess if everyone was just going to post MacKenzie or CSS lists, it would be a pretty redundant thread. So nevermind.

Maybe posting the reasons for your massive divergence in opinion would create good debate.

I've already debated with people back and forth about it. There's no point in turning this thread into that. I don't see how what I'm saying is a massive divergence in opinion anyway. All I've basically done is moved RNH to 4th in stead of 1st.

If you really want to know just go read the RNH thread someone posted a perfect explanation there. I don't think he'll be able to handle how tight the NHL is on defence and even strength play. If you want to know more PM me.

Pietraneglo222

I think all these players have the potential to break 100 points.

Landeskog could turn out to be 55-45-100 type of player IMO. Like Cheechoo in his prime.

member 30781

Just because skinner led rookies in scoring doesn't mean he has the best offensive potential. Hall and seguin will still put up more points than him regardless. Its just their rookie years.

Cophy

Mar 29, 2011
I have seen Mika Zibanejad live 20-30 times and I belive his potential is 30-40 Goals and 30-50 assists! He reminds me of a little smaller Ryan Getzlaf/Jeff Carter. He is 6' 2" 190+ punds.

member 30781

On offensive potential alone I rank it:

Rnh
Couturier
Huberdeau
Landeskog
Strome

I have no idea why couturier keeps dropping. Him and rnh should be the top two forwards in the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad