2011 HFNHL Playoff Predictions - Round Two

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
After a 6-2 first round, I present to you my second round predictions.

THE EAST

1. Florida Panthers vs. 4. Buffalo Sabres
Season Series: 2-0 Panthers
Analysis: The Buffalo Sabres are going to want this one bad, as they try to avenge their loss in the OHL finals last year. Florida took the season series from Buffalo and has largely had the Sabres number in recent years. Both of these teams are very talented. For Buffalo, they'll have to slow down the balanced scoring attack of Florida and get fantastic goaltending from Ryan Miller. While Florida is going to need to get their powerplay going (0 PP goals in the first round), as well as team leaders Mike Richards and Zach Parise.
Prediction: Florida Panthers in 6
Florida just has Buffalo's number at the moment and I think these two teams match up well in the Panthers' favor.

2. Montreal Canadiens vs. 3. Pittsburgh Penguins
Season Series: 1-1 TIE
Analysis: I truthfully didn't expect the Pens to get out of the first round, after some cost cutting moves towards the end of the season hurt team chemistry and decreased the on ice product. Meanwhile, the Canadiens had some trouble with the all hustle Flyers. This Habs team is relatively playoff green, so hopefully they got their jitters out in round 1. The Habs had a tough time scoring against the defensive Flyers, so they'll have to do better in round 2 against an explosive Penguins offense.
Prediction: Montreal Canadiens in 6
I admit that I don't have a ton of faith in Pittsburgh's playoff hopes and I think the Habs will be happy to get out of Philly's trap style.

THE West

2. Colorado Avalanche vs. 8. Columbus Blue Jackets
Analysis: It became pretty evident, after their defeat of the juggernaut Blues, that this year's Blue Jackets are not your typical 8th seed. They've got a balanced line up, up and down, and will provide the Avalanche with more adversity than they faced in round 1. Like their Conference leading counterparts, the Avs also struggled on the powerplay in round 1, and will need to pick it up against a very strong PK team in Columbus. That being said, Columbus gave up way too many shots in round 1 and are going to have to be more stingy defensively to survive the Avalanche.
Prediction: Colorado Avalanche in 5
I think Colorado is just too strong at this point and while the games might end up being close, the series will not be.

4. Calgary Flames vs. 6. Detroit Red Wings
Analysis: The Wings just barely survived against the Stars, after a near collapse, while the Flames rather easily disposed of the former Cup champion Canucks. One thing is for certain, unless the Flames want Backstrom's pads to melt off his legs, they may want to lower the opposition's shot count. On the flip side, Detroit will need a better effort from their penalty kill, considering the Flames strong powerplay in combination with their penchant for taking penalties.
Prediction: Calgary Flames in 5
Calgary will beat up on a tired Wings team, and look towards the coming Avalanche in an epic Western showdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad