2011 Draft - NHL Ready Talent?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Theres a thread on this either on this page already or one page back.

To sum it up.

1. Couturier
2. Landeskog
3. Larsson
4. Who knows, depends on team/player combo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Theres a thread on this either on this page already or one page back.

To sum it up.

1. Couturier
2. Landeskog
3. Larsson
4. Who knows, depends on team/player combo.

I would say that Landeskog is the most NHL ready, but I'm not sure if you're ordering it based on who is the most NHL ready or just listing players that are.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I would say that Landeskog is the most NHL ready, but I'm not sure if you're ordering it based on who is the most NHL ready or just listing players that are.

Just listing, no order. And if I did order them it would be Larsson, SC, then Landy.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
My perception in my limited viewings of Strome is that he seems to execute well: crisp passes, hard shot, strong on the puck, willing to take the body on defense. He seems to have a bit more mature game.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I would also put Strome on the short list of possibilities.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Larsson, maybe Couturier.

This draft class is VERY weak. Of course there will be a bunch that become good NHLers, but outside of the two I mentioned, they all need quite a bit of time to develop. Landeskog may be ready as well by the time next season comes around, but I wouldn't count on him making the NHL unless his team is very weak.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Larsson, maybe Couturier.

This draft class is VERY weak. Of course there will be a bunch that become good NHLers, but outside of the two I mentioned, they all need quite a bit of time to develop. Landeskog may be ready as well by the time next season comes around, but I wouldn't count on him making the NHL unless his team is very weak.

People keep saying this and it simply isn't true.

Because there isn't a clear #1 or a Stamkos or Kane at the head of the draft does not mean it's a "very weak" draft. It's only posters here that think that.

Landeskog will only be back in Junior if he gets drafted by a team who is very strong. Otherwise he almost definitely will.

Landeskog is the most physically, defensively, and emotionally ready for the NHL. He could have played in it last year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan Siemens step right into the NHL. It depends on who drafts him though.

Even though it clashes with many beliefs on this board, I still think Nugent-Hopkins could play next season as well, especially if he's drafted by a team like the Sens. Not as a center but could play on the wing if a team lacks tskill in their top 6 (Ottawa).

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan Siemens step right into the NHL. It depends on who drafts him though.

Even though it clashes with many beliefs on this board, I still think Nugent-Hopkins could play next season as well, especially if he's drafted by a team like the Sens. Not as a center but could play on the wing if a team lacks tskill in their top 6 (Ottawa).

Siemens is NOT NHL ready. His physical play and skating would allow him to get by, but mentally he would be a step or two behind.

Analyzer*

I've said many times before, I don't know, but Olesiak has NHL size. Not sure about anything else, though.

schronote

Sep 15, 2008
I think above posts are pretty good guesses. I also feel their will be a handful of players ready for 9 game stints such as Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy, RNH(I think he will stick), and possibly Duncan Siemens(so he figures what he needs to work on).

4thliner*

Landeskog
Larsson
Couturier

in that order

Whoever though Skinner of all prospects from last June was NHL "ready" let alone an NHL star?

So you can't count out Nugen-Hopkins who is even more dynamic in terms of puck skills, skating, and playmaking.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Whoever though Skinner of all prospects from last June was NHL "ready" let alone an NHL star?

So you can't count out Nugen-Hopkins who is even more dynamic in terms of puck skills, skating, and playmaking.

Not really. Skinner scored 70G in his draft year and may be the Calder favourite right now. He had the best skillset of anyone from the 2010 draft but fell in the draft because of concerns how his game would translate to the next level due to a mediocre-at-best skating ability. RNH isn't as talented, but neither is Duchene and he's doing quite well.

However I fully agree on your first point, RNH definately could suprise and play in the NHL next year. He's certainly talented enough. He is very small (well skinny) but the new NHL allows smaller players to succeed in the new NHL and he's very slippery/hard to hit. Still he loses a lot of battles at the WHL level playing against kids who aren't fully grown. If RNH wants a shot at the big time he'll have to bulk up big time in the summer.

4thliner*

Nugen-Hopkins has considerable big-time stickhandling and puck skills over Skinner as well as vision and playmaking abilities. He is not a shoot first sniper however. Skinner was a freakish finisher/sniper. If they reached their full potential and when you projected them (of all the forwards from the 2010 draft), only Hall I though had as much goal scoring upside due to his size/strength and breakaway speed to create for himself over Skinner.

Nugen-Hopkins is also a much better skater than Skinner too.

Skinner has great goal scoring instincts and soft hands, that and Erik Staal is a deadly combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
renegade do you think hopkins could potentially jump? people say hes physically immature but the same was said of patrick kane...can you see it happening?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

thanks for the replies!

What about in the 2nd or 3rd round? Any guys who are maybe close to the NHL? So not ready to play in 2011 but ready for 2012 maybe?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
renegade do you think hopkins could potentially jump? people say hes physically immature but the same was said of patrick kane...can you see it happening?

I think it could happen. Not likely, but it could. All depends on what team takes him and if there is a spot for him on the team.

I think he's shifty enough and smart enough to avoid the regular rigors of getting hit hard every single game. People make a big deal about his weight, but if he can be up to 177+ by the fall, I could see it not being a huge, huge issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad