2011 draft class - really that weak?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Every year this thread pops up, claiming the next draft to be the weak one.

Not that it isn't weak, but this thread always pops up.

A good sign of a weak draft is what ever the cost of a first rounder at the deadline, so we'll see.

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
Maybe "weak" is not the exactly word.

We came from a very strong 2010 promotion, plenty of good players, top-end talent, long term prospects with a lot of potential, and also a number of outsiders at lower rounds who can turn into regular NHL players. And this promotion, in my opinion, is just normal. Maybe average is a better word, if you prefer. There are players who can establish at the top in a few years, like Couturier, Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Murphy, Musil, Siemens or Saad, a good number of players with a really bright future, like Strome, Huberdeau, Hamilton, Armia, outsiders like McNeill, Jaskin, Trocheck, Jenner, Mayfield, Biggs, and players who used to be well-ranked and they have a lot of potential and a lot of things to show, like Ambroz, Catenacci, Rask, McColgan, St. Croix, Lessio, among others, and maybe lacks deep at lower rounds, some good goalie prospects, because only Gibson seems to be a top prospect, and more top European talent, but i think that this can be a good promotion.

The problem is that, if you compare this year's promotion with 2010 and now, with 2012, which seems to be one of the best in recent years, 2011 is not better, but that doesn't mean that is weak.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The top 30, including the top 10 in 2011 is much better than 2010, but I do not see the depth in the later rounds compared to other drafts. I do think it's much better than some scouts are saying.

2012 is looking like the best draft since 2008.

crazyaces*

well 2011 is kind of weird one because their isn't that highend 1st overall talent. Sure you have Courturier, but I don't think he's NHL ready, if he does play, he'll have a very low impact, and he needs more time to develop. Larsson might play right away, but even he is suspect, and could stay in Sweden, or play in the AHL. RNH and Landeskog need more time as well. I would really be surprised if someone was drafted and played more than 9 games in the NHL next year, which is also a good (early) indication how weak or strong the draft pool is - Look at the last 3 drafts and count how many players played in the NHL right away and stuck - a lot.

You could probably compare the 2011 to the 2007 draft, except you don't have a super star in Pat Kane for the 1st overall pick.

2012 is still early but that one is looking really good.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
I got bored so I decided to look up draft boards from 10 years ago. Damn. This thread aged very poorly. 7 of the first round picks made at least 1 All star with top 3 picks being amazing.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Its an okay draft. really its one where you see names that are in todays game but some are also doing well overseas. its not the worst but it definitely isn't near 2012 bad where we're picking around the scraps for guys like slavin and pelech and vasy.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It was a pretty bad draft for goalies anyways! Only Gibson and Binnington were of quality.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I got bored so I decided to look up draft boards from 10 years ago. Damn. This thread aged very poorly. 7 of the first round picks made at least 1 All star with top 3 picks being amazing.
All-star games aren't everything. In fact, they really aren't anything.

How many of those picks helped their teams win championships? How successful have their careers been??

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What is funny to me is that Detroit traded their first rounder to Ottawa who draft Pumpel. Who now is the only player from 2011 draft in the Red Wings organization.
Sorry to beat the old horse but this draft I will always remember by Toronto trading their #30 and #39 to Anaheim for #22 so that Toronto can pick Tyler Biggs. Anaheim reportedly really wanted Noesen and since Ottawa snagged him just before the Ducks pick, they accepted the trade. Ducks picked Rakell and Gibson lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad