2011 CHL Import Draft

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Awesome. I think KHL draftee must sign something like 5 year contract after KHL draft? Grigorenko wants to NHL so his only opinion is to go to CHL.

London should know that Grigorenko possibly plays only one season in CHL... Are they going for one season wonder?

According to the father, the issue is he feels CSKA is smothering Grigorenko because of lack of ice time.

For Grigorenko's future, I REALLY hope his father isn't another Kabanov/Lindros type.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Credit to Guerzy for finding article:

http://www.therecord.com/sports/article/554269--rangers-face-dilemma-with-landeskog

KITCHENER — Time to hit the delete button on Gabriel Landeskog.

Time to jettison the Kitchener Rangers’ star winger and team captain.

But can Rangers coach and general manager Steve Spott bring himself to dump the 18-year-old Swede by Tuesday morning's 11 o’clock deadline?

“We haven't made a decision on Gabriel,” a conflicted Spott said on Monday morning.

Truth is, the Rangers don’t want to remove Landeskog from their roster.

But they must if they want to select another European with the 22nd overall pick Wednesday’s Canadian Hockey League import draft, a pick they upgraded from 40th out of 60 CHL teams following a Monday afternoon swap with the Kingston Frontenacs.

And if the Rangers are serious about taking another top-notch forward in the import draft, someone like Swedish centre Victor Rask, even the 22nd slot may not be high enough.

Other teams, like the 31st-picking Plymouth Whalers, will surely seek to move up as long as Rask, a Carolina Hurricanes second-round pick, is up for grabs.

The Canes and Whalers are both owned by Peter Karmanos.

It was the Whalers who drafted Landeskog in front of the Rangers two years ago, extorting two second-round picks from Kitchener for his rights. The Whalers, who must dump one of their two current imports by 11 a.m. or stand pat, must make the next move or move aside.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
According to the father, the issue is he feels CSKA is smothering Grigorenko because of lack of ice time.

For Grigorenko's future, I REALLY hope his father isn't another Kabanov/Lindros type.

Lack of ice-time? He just turned 17.

Ain't it possible agents talked them into it, "you can be the 1e pick if you come over to the NHL etc".

I doubt this is a good idea for his development.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Quebec will have the #2 pick overall tommorow. draft start at 9am

The Quebec Remparts acquired Rouyn-Noranda's 1st round pick, 2nd overall in the 2011 CHL import draft. In exchange, the Huskies added Quebec's 1st round choice, 11th overall in the 2011 CHL import draft as well as a 3rd round pick in 2013 and 2nd round selection in 2014.

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
I've heard all year that Grigorenko's only goal was to play in the KHL. What happened? Is he really committing to North America? And when did this unfold? I'm a lot more excited for next year's draft if Grigorenko is a legitimate Top 5 prospect and not a Tarasenko-esque faller due to the Russian uncertainty factor.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
As Per Darren Dreger's twitter feed

"Don't be surprised if London takes Finnish d-man Olli Maatta with top pick."

Probably makes more sense then the Grigorenko rumours. Maatta is rated as a top 20 pick for the 2012 NHL Draft, depending on who you talk with.

Last edited:

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
JR said there was a chance that Victor Rask could come over to NA. (If he does or not, expect Plymouth to draft him regardless).

I'm not sure about this. I think Plymouth likes both of their import players. I was impressed with Trutmann this season and thought he could have been taken in the draft but I guess they could trade him since they have a lot of d-men. But they've had pretty bad luck with getting players to report over the last few years, I'm not sure they take the risk when they have two decent import players right now.

playthetrap*

As Per Darren Dreger's twitter feed

"Don't be surprised if London takes Finnish d-man Olli Maatta with top pick."

Probably makes more sense then the Grigorenko rumours. Maatta is rated as a top 20 pick, depending on who you talk with.

Yeah, Maata sounds like he'd be here for longer than one season. London needs someone here for at least two seasons when they're ready to contend.

Could use an impact d-man.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I guess he would be first Finn taken first overall in Import Draft.

IF he is the first overall I just hope he will stay in NA his whole career.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Wow never would have considered Maata a candidate to come over to the CHL, considering how few Finns (and how few impact Finns) have ever made the transition. If it happens and he reports to London in that scenario, I'm looking forward to watching the kid if he makes the trips up to Owen Sound.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Mikael Lalancette (le soleil qmjhl writer and commentator on Canal Vox qmjhl coverage) has a preview of the import draft on his blog (in french)

-as report by Dreger, Maata would go #1,

-not sure Quebec would choose Grigorenko #2 as he it would cost around 300 000$ to get him over and could only play 1 year in the Q before making the jump to the nhl. Also Quebec not expect to be a contending team this year

-at #3 he heard Calgary would pick Oskar Klefbom

-at #4 he said he wouldn't be surprise if Peterborough trade that pick. Kitchener is a possibilty

-at #5 Victoriaville is expect to draft a czech/slovak d-men. no name mentionned

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Looks like it hasn't been posted yet, so live results will be here.

Draft starts at 9AM EDT.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
How many rounds are there in the Import Draft?

I am really hoping Olden gets drafted by a OHL team (Southern Ontario preferably) so I can watch him a few times this year.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Mikael Lalancette (le soleil qmjhl writer and commentator on Canal Vox qmjhl coverage) has a preview of the import draft on his blog (in french)

-as report by Dreger, Maata would go #1,

-not sure Quebec would choose Grigorenko #2 as he it would cost around 300 000$ to get him over and could only play 1 year in the Q before making the jump to the nhl. Also Quebec not expect to be a contending team this year

-at #3 he heard Calgary would pick Oskar Klefbom

-at #4 he said he wouldn't be surprise if Peterborough trade that pick. Kitchener is a possibilty

-at #5 Victoriaville is expect to draft a czech/slovak d-men. no name mentionned

Grigorenko in Quebec wouls still make more sense than Zibanejad.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
nhldraftvideo said:

Interesting. I could see Peterborough moving down as they can't afford many of the top guys like other teams could, but Kitchener doesn't really have anything to offer the Petes to move down.

How many rounds are there in the Import Draft?

2 rounds, but the majority of teams will just pass on their 2nd round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad