2011 CHL Import Draft

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
What round you are drafted doesn't matter, Grigorenko knows he will likely be a first rounder even if he stays in Russia and getting drafted at all is almost gauarenteed. I could see if a player wanted to prove something or get recognition like Pedan but high end players like him should continue their development at home, where he will likely see time in the KHL.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
I normally hate it when Swedes go to the CHL, but with Rask I think it might actually be a good idea. After his struggles this year, maybe starting on a new slate would be good for him. I believe he even said as much in some post-draft interview.

Rask has had a deal with an unkown SEL team for a few weeks, even his agent Claes Elefalk have confirmed this. Not sure about the reason why the sel team havent announced anything yet.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I don't know about Olden coming over, but Søberg should be a pretty high pick I guess.

Is it confirmed that he'll go to the CHL? Last thing I read, was that he was in touch with Färjestad (?) and wanted to go there because it was so close to home (and because he'd have a permanent goalie coach for the first time in his career). If the CHL-teams don't hear anything prior to the draft, but have gotten wind of him wanting to stay close to home, he might not be picked at all. Much will depend on what Washington wants him to do and if they can persuade him to come over (if that's what they want) by the time the draft starts.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Is it confirmed that he'll go to the CHL? Last thing I read, was that he was in touch with Färjestad (?) and wanted to go there because it was so close to home (and because he'd have a permanent goalie coach for the first time in his career). If the CHL-teams don't hear anything prior to the draft, but have gotten wind of him wanting to stay close to home, he might not be picked at all. Much will depend on what Washington wants him to do and if they can persuade him to come over (if that's what they want) by the time the draft starts.

I agree, and have also read the reports of Søberg being Färjestads junior goalie and 3rd goalie for the mens team. But he doesn't know for sure what to do next year, I think Washington would like him to play at a higher level like CHL. He definitely have the talent to succeed there. We'll see, I definitely see someone taking a chance on him pretty high. Moncton and another Q team has already talked to his agent about coming over, so we'll see.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
About Steffen Søberg

http://dumpnchase.com/?p=824

The 5-foot-11, 165-pound Soberg turns 18 on August 6. If he is chosen in Tuesday’s CHL import draft, he could play in North America for the upcoming 2011-12 season.

“He had indicated through his agent that he wanted to come and play in North America,” says Prior of Soberg. “Hopefully he’s taken in the European draft. I really do believe [the CHL is] the best league for goaltenders to develop in. It’s always a challenge in that initial year to come over [from Europe] and make the adjustments to a much higher speed and a much more physical game around the crease area, but that’s good.

It looks like he is going over, he said himself before the draft that if he was picked he wanted to know what the NHL club wanted him to do.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would be shocked if London chose Grigorenko. But it's London we're talking about so anything can happen.

I heard a ton of rumours about Granlund, but didn't he recently sign a new contract to stay in Finland?

playthetrap*

I would be shocked if London chose Grigorenko. But it's London we're talking about so anything can happen.

I heard a ton of rumours about Granlund, but didn't he recently sign a new contract to stay in Finland?

Does anyone know how accurate FutureConsiderations is on twitter? That account user seems to think the Knights will indeed be taking Grigorenko.

http://twitter.com/?q=Mikhail+Grigorenko#!/FCHockey

Ryan Pyette of London Free Press:

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/2011/06/27/18342646.html

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What i know from Slovakia will be picked -
Ceresnak
Gernat
Bruno Mraz
Denis Hudec
Karol Korim

and some other players, that i dont know. But this 5 are sure thing.
And i think, that from the bunch of Slovaks in GMHL, there will be maybe one pick - Filip Winkler .

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Potential swedish players getting picked.

Blomqvist
Sylvegard
Shumacher

darkhorses

Rask
Rensfeldt

What's the deal with Rensfeldt? Is he still un-signed in Sweden?

Also, when/if London gets Grigorenko that'd be freaking amazing. It's going to be awesome watching them this year. This, along with Max Domi (potentially) being traded to London.. can't wait!

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
They had to acquire that pick, Grigorenko was Quebec's target.

You can bet Mark Hunter is loving the fact that he mowed Patrick Roy's grass.

i broke the news i guess ;)

Oh no, you didn't. It was me!:nod: ;)

Does anyone know how accurate FutureConsiderations is on twitter? That account user seems to think the Knights will indeed be taking Grigorenko.

Not sure if FC got their info from another source than me, but I mentioned this on Twitter and they follow me. Aaron Vickers could have another source other than mine though.

I'm pretty confident London will take Grigorenko.

Here's an interview from yesterday with Knights' GM Mark Hunter.

http://www.cjbk.com/LondonAfternoon.aspx

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Awesome. I think KHL draftee must sign something like 5 year contract after KHL draft? Grigorenko wants to NHL so his only opinion is to go to CHL.

London should know that Grigorenko possibly plays only one season in CHL... Are they going for one season wonder?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->