2011 Canucks vs 2021 Lightning... who wins a 7 game series?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
what’s the more reasonable take home here, that i’m “ignoring” their extremely famous epic collapse or that i’m showing a team that obviously learned some valuable playoff lessons (with their conn smythe winner hurt, mind you) and the won the next two cups?

View attachment 452531

we are comparing the 2011 canucks to the 2021 lightnings right?

Frankly I don't really think that professional hockey players who have played the game since they were 5 need to learn that they should "play hard and good" in the playoffs. For various reasons, including injuries as you point out, Columbus happened to have their number in 2019, just like Boston and LA did for Vancouver in 2011 and 2012.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
upload_2021-7-11_17-6-40.gif

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
i’m not saying this wouldn’t be a close series but two years ago, ie the last normal season, basically this same tb team ran away with the league too. #1 offence, #7 defence (one goal out of the top 5), #1 pp, #1 pk. won the presidents trophy by 21 pts.

runaway hart/ross winner, reigning norris winner, vezina winner

Yeah that 2018-19 Bolts team was better up front and on D than us in 2011, with guys like Killorn, Cirelli and Miller on their 3rd line :amazed:. They legitimately might've been one of the greatest teams of all time.

Although I do think the last two years' editions of the Lightning weren't quite as good, they were at least more than good enough to win it all. And that's the key, really: being able to maintain a strong enough roster over a long enough period of time so that you can finally climb the mountain. And that's where I think TBL during the Yzerman/Brisebois-era have the 2011 Canucks truly beat. We were just never able to sustain a similar level of dominance over a sufficient amount of time to win. :(

Reactions: CpatainCanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad