2011 = big 4. 2012 = ?

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
So obviously there is an elite group of prospects at the top of every draft year that are in contention for the first overall pick. This upcoming draft, the "elite" group of prospects indisputably includes Larsson, Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, and Landeskog. One of them will go first overall. Being very unfamiliar with the 2012 draft, I was wondering, what does the elite group of prospects look like? Basically I'm just asking for your opinion on how many players that upper echelon will consist of, and also what players you think it will consist of. If you have the time, can you also give me a rough description of each player's game/ style? Thanks.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
As of now, IMO, Yakupov is #1 and theres a bunch of players who could contend for #1 (Galchenyuk, Grigerenko, Ebert, Murray), but aren't in that class yet. A lot could change but there isn't really a group yet besides the big 3 defensemen (Ebert, Murray, Reinhart)

Top 10 next year is stacked however, probably the most stacked in a very long time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The deepest draft in a few years, especially on the backend.

If you are in need of defensive prospects, wait until 2012. I honestly think that 15 or more defenseman could get picked in the first round next year alone.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Didn't we think the 2010 draft was a 'big 5'... and 2 of those 5 went 12 and 13?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As of now, IMO, Yakupov is #1 and theres a bunch of players who could contend for #1 (Galchenyuk, Grigerenko, Ebert, Murray), but aren't in that class yet. A lot could change but there isn't really a group yet besides the big 3 defensemen (Ebert, Murray, Reinhart)

Top 10 next year is stacked however, probably the most stacked in a very long time.

Even the next 5 players or so have top 10. Very deep.

Right now I believe there is a Big 5 consisting of Yakupov, Grigerenko, Ebert, Murray, and Galchenyuk.

Zach and Slater

Jan 17, 2004
Alberta
The deepest draft in a few years, especially on the backend.

If you are in need of defensive prospects, wait until 2012. I honestly think that 15 or more defenseman could get picked in the first round next year alone.

This is my theory on what the Oil should do. Get your center in this year's draft, and then you can start stock piling your d-men in next year's draft...hopefully with Reinhart! Because my theory is that you are a lot more likely to get that bluechip d-man next year but you aren't that likely to get your bluechip center next season.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
You don't think Ryan Murphy belongs in the top group? I'd say so...

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
ryan murphy is 2011 eligible and should go top15. if u meant ryan murray he is 2012 eligible and has been mentioned as being part of the top 5 at the moment

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Right now I believe there is a Big 5 consisting of Yakupov, Grigerenko, Ebert, Murray, and Galchenyuk.

Call me biased, but I still don't see a big gap between Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Murray. Especially with how Griffin came on before injury.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I want Nail Yakupov BADLY.

Ottawa's defense could easily feature 3 Dmen at 21 or under to go along with the likes of Carkner, Gonchar, Kuba, Lee, Phillips...any of which they can't get rid of. I think we want Yakupov more:laugh:

Seriously though, the kid is outstanding and possesses the shooting ability Ottawa does not have any of in the organization at the moment.

For Ottawa, I really hope Bryan Murray is listening.

I think he will be "advising".

R S

Sep 18, 2006
For Ottawa, I really hope Bryan Murray is listening.

I think he's smart enough to see that the Sens have to take two FW's in round one.

I'm about to post my recent mock draft for the 1st round and I have the Sens taking Nugent-Hopkins 2nd and Bartschi 21st.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

It's a little early to ask this but is there a chance it's better than 08? Let's not forget how stacked 08 was, especially in terms of defensemen.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I say it'll be a Big 5 by this time next year.

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Murray
Reinhart

Not too high on Frk, but he could impress me.

CandiedBacon

Seguin and Hamilton
Sep 2, 2010
EpicMealTime
I say it'll be a Big 5 by this time next year.

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Murray
Reinhart

Not too high on Frk, but he could impress me.

Thank you. Anybody who doesn't pick Reinhart in 2nd or even 1st out of the D is insane. 6'4" 205 Pounds of pure mean two-way defensman.

Canuck71*

I've seen a lot of Yakupov and Galchenyuk this year, and I'm not saying it will happen, but I think there is a good chance that Galchenyuk will be on par with Yakupov next year around this time. Both are just tremendous talents.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Yakapov's 1st spot to lose.

He's the first prospect since Stamkos IMHO who will be consensus #1 with no challengers...

Maybe even since Crosby (I'm not talking about talent, I'm talking about a player in comparison to the rest of his class).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad