Prospect Info: 2011 5th round (126th overall) - D Fredrik Claesson

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
He has played almost as a regular in SEL during his draftyear, that's not very usual at all. He is very solid in his own zone, perhaps not the guy with the highest ceiling but more like a guy that could defenitely pan out and be of some use for Ottawa. A bonafide NHL-prospect, but as a bottom-6 d-man.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Where is SteffeG when you need him?

:laugh:

Solid D-man, knows his limitations. He is no David Rundblad with the puck and doesn't try to be that either, which is no doubt a positive thing. Knows that he is out on the ice to contribute to the defensive part of the game. Plays it simple. Very strong guy, plays with a bit of an edge, clearing space for his goalie around the net. Blocks shots, sound positional game, good PKer. Will return to Djurgården and play that kind of bottom-pairing role in the SEL again this year.

If he ever makes the show it'll be as a bottom-pairing PK guy, or at the very best, as a defensive partner for one of our more offensive guys.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
He's apparently best friends with Landeskog.

Yep:

http://hockeysverige.se/article/11974840/mika-sa-at-ottawa-att-drafta-mig

Fredrik Claesson went to the NHL draft hoping for the best, and it worked out. Not only did he get to see his friends Gabriel Landeskog and Mika Zibanejad get drafted early, he also found himself drafted.
- Mika advised Ottawa to draft me – and they did, the Djurgården defender says.

ST. PAUL Usually agents don't let their players attend the draft unless they're expected to be drafted in the early rounds. Claesson went against convention and went to the draft. The main reason being that he's a close friend of Landeskog who invited Claesson to the draft.
- My agent thought it was worth a shot. So I had what was like a short vacation here, the defensive defenseman said.

Yesterday Claesson saw Gabe and his Djurgården teammate Mika Zibanejad get drafted early in the first round.
- It was really cool. I got to go to where the Colorado people were later on and meet Joe Sakic. And Mika is fantastic so I'm really happy for him.

And that wasn't all that happened. On Saturday Claesson was selected by the Senators as the 126th player in the fifth round. And Zibanejad played a part in that.
- He told Ottawa that they should draft me – and they did, so that was pretty exciting. They have a lot of Swedes on the team already, so I'm looking forward to development camp.

Claesson isn't in a hurry to get to North America. He'll spend at least another season with Djurgården before he'll consider changing clubs.
- One year remains on my contract, then we'll see what happens. I also need to take some steps forward to get some more playing time, Claesson says. He also has another goal for the upcoming season.
- Making the WJC's. I was there for the camp last year and was a late cut, but now I'll do what I can to make the team.

Anonymouse

M.A.C.
Apr 10, 2012
Stockholm
I think he's going to be a great defenseman. I haven't seen him play in NA, but when he was back in Sweden he was a reliable guy chipping in on the offense from time to time.

This is three years ago with Djurgården against rivals AIK. Usually really tough, tense games. That's Viktor Fasth, Anaheim, in net. 6:25.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
He is a +23 right now. Third highest in the league. The two guys in front of him both play for the Kings farm team and they are dominating the league right now because of Martin Jones.

@TheQwardian 15 Oct 12

after that hit and fight, I want a @classeman14 jersey! #gettingitdone

Fredrik Claesson ‏@Classeman14 15 Oct 12

@TheQwardian haha thanks man

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I hope we don't trade Claesson. It seems like he's a good locker-room guy and I've been impressed every time I've watched him play. He's not an exceptional player, but he's very solid and while not great and anything he's good at everything IMO. One of those really valuable and reliable #5 guys that can step up and play in the 3/4 spot in a pinch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope we don't trade Claesson. It seems like he's a good locker-room guy and I've been impressed every time I've watched him play. He's not an exceptional player, but he's very solid and while not great and anything he's good at everything IMO. One of those really valuable and reliable #5 guys that can step up and play in the 3/4 spot in a pinch.
I agree, a very quiet player that you don't really notice doing anything spectacular but is just solid at everything, a coach's dream really.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I did some math here and my jaw dropped.

BSens points at even strength:
Hoffman: 22 points in 37 games, +5
Claesson: 20 points in 39 games, +26
Da Costa: 20 points in 36 games, +10
Wideman: 9 points in 37 games, -6

He is second in the league in +/- trailing by 1.
But the most amazing part is that Claesson is leading all AHL Defencemen in points scored in ES/SH. :amazed:

His offence is so underrated. Wonder why Luke never plays him on PP.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I did some math here and my jaw dropped.

BSens points at even strength:
Hoffman: 22 points in 37 games, +5
Claesson: 20 points in 39 games, +26
Da Costa: 20 points in 36 games, +10
Wideman: 9 points in 37 games, -6

He is second in the league in +/- trailing by 1.
But the most amazing part is that Claesson is leading all AHL Defencemen in points scored in ES/SH. :amazed:

His offence is so underrated. Wonder why Luke never plays him on PP.

I think Luke values his defensive contributions at the moment... maybe he doesn't want to burn the kid out by giving him more minutes than he can handle?

Just a thought. :dunno:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Claesson is ****ing amazing in the defensive zone. Absolutely lethal.

He'll be covering a guy while also stick-checking the guy with the puck and get them both frustrated and puck separated.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
its gotta be frustrating for him given his play this whole season, and the sens biggest need is exactly him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad