2011-2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Anyone here own or have owned one in the past?

We just had a kid a couple weeks ago. I drive a WRX hatch, which is cool and all but it's not really a good family car. It's got some mods and is too harsh for my liking. I kind of also want an auto for the daily.

So, been looking at some SUVs. Looked at some older-gen Volvo XC90s, and Jeep Grand Cherokee's in the years above. Covid has kept me from hitting dealerships every weekend, so haven't driven the Jeep yet.

Any thoughts/experiences with them? I want something nice to drive while still being decent in the snow with some muddies. I'd like a 4runner (used to own a 98), but don't want to shell out 30-40k for a daily unless I have to.

Price would be more between 15k-20k tops. Jeep seems to bring some good value, especially in the the up-spec'd Laredo package where I could find some examples with quadra-trek (or however it's spelled) but less frivolous things like terrible quality leather and that horrible 8-speed gearbox.

Thoughts? Other nicer SUV options? Not interested in anything too old or too "truck-like" in its driving.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Anyone here own or have owned one in the past?

We just had a kid a couple weeks ago. I drive a WRX hatch, which is cool and all but it's not really a good family car. It's got some mods and is too harsh for my liking. I kind of also want an auto for the daily.

So, been looking at some SUVs. Looked at some older-gen Volvo XC90s, and Jeep Grand Cherokee's in the years above. Covid has kept me from hitting dealerships every weekend, so haven't driven the Jeep yet.

Any thoughts/experiences with them? I want something nice to drive while still being decent in the snow with some muddies. I'd like a 4runner (used to own a 98), but don't want to shell out 30-40k for a daily unless I have to.

Price would be more between 15k-20k tops. Jeep seems to bring some good value, especially in the the up-spec'd Laredo package where I could find some examples with quadra-trek (or however it's spelled) but less frivolous things like terrible quality leather and that horrible 8-speed gearbox.

Thoughts? Other nicer SUV options? Not interested in anything too old or too "truck-like" in its driving.
Could look at Tahoe/Yukon I guess ( my obvious answer). Their not as trucky as they used to be, so post 2006- current. You might find you'll get more for your dollar too.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I'm on my 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee lease. I've gone from the Laredo to the Limited, to currently an Overland.

Big difference in features and upgrades once you hit the Limited trim. Anything above you'll get more features, but they might not be that useful.

We only kept the Laredo for 2 years, couldn't stand the cloth seating (had a newborn at the time who would puke in the car all time), traded it in for a Limited trim.

Currently I have the Overland, I love the Grand Cherokees, good power, lots of features, just a great daily driver and family car.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Good friend of mine has 2 kids, both he and his wife drive newer Grand Cherokees and they love em. I've never really been a big fan of them, I think they drive a little too rough, but the interiors are quite nice. For what you need it seems like a half decent solution. Honestly, I would suggest a smaller, more efficient suv...or a sedan (I love the Camry and Avalons, but you may be priced out). You may find that getting infant car seats into the back seat of some 5 seater suvs is rather difficult, as the wheel wells push the back seat more towards the front of the car, and sometimes the doors just don't swing as wide as you want. I bought a new Ford Escape right when I became a father, regretted the car seat fit immediately because I didn't test it out. You'll want to take car seat configurations into consideration for every car purchase now for the next 10 years at least.

Congrats on the newborn!

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Leather seats are good when you have kids.

Like mentioned by previous posters, when kids puke and/or spill food or drink you can just wipe it off versus having that stuff soak into the seat.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Bought my first 2 cars, but I loved getting a brand new car every 3 years, and I could beat it up and not have to worry about costly maintenance later on so I started leasing awhile back.

But now it makes zero sense because the cost of cars is through the roof compared to what they were 3 years ago. I may just buy out the car and then sell it shortly after since I could make a few thousand due my initial payment being so low, and the resell value of a used car with only 23K miles is so high.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
You should always lease a luxury car so you never have to pay for any repairs. Only thing you need to cover are tires (if the pop) and oil changes/servicing. Aside from the Grand Cherokee leases I posted earlier, we've been leasing Mercedes sedans for 8 years.

Plus it's awesome to get a new car every 3 years.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->