2011-2012 USA NTDP Tryout Camp (Camp Finished)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this defense has the chance to be something very special. for USA Hockey to land the top 3 defensemen of this group, this early on, is something special. (I dont include DeAngelo as he is already playing in the USHL).

glad to see another solid showing from my ILLINOIS BOYS!! This is only the start for this state, the growth will be even bigger here. it seems that Illinois is growing yet New York is declining a bit. I want to see New York and Illinois producing tons of kids, add that to the usual Michigan, Massachusetts, and Minnesota trio, and California, its only going to get better and better from here.

i hope Hayden and Allen accept spots, both of these kids are absolute studs....

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Watched those LA Selects players several times last few years. Williams is still beyond any forward on that team in skill. Unless he's going to Tri City...

Not surprised with Savage making it though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Watched those LA Selects players several times last few years. Williams is still beyond any forward on that team in skill. Unless he's going to Tri City...

Not surprised with Savage making it though.

I have to agree with you here, I would bet everything on the fact that team USA offered him an invite and he simply said no thanks, I am going to the WHL. Brian Williams is still an extremely talented player, had the pleasure of watching him 3 times this season, kid has battled some nagging injuries, but is still in the top 3 for forwards of this group.

I cant confirm that USA Hockey offered him a spot, but common sense says they did and he merely either said no thanks or he is trying to fully recover from his groin/leg issues that has bothered him this season.

Savage is a beast. That US blueline is amazing already with Santini, Savage, and Butcher...This is shades of 2010 all over again on this blueline but even higher end imo.

Kind of shocked that Alex Talcott did not get an invite as well. extremely gifted player who should go very high for this years OHL draft. The kid is a fire ball on skates, absolutely electric and physical. Some say he will go in the OHL draft's first round along with Compher (both University of Michigan star recruits).

Not sure if Talcott said he is going to the OHL so dont even bother, but if I could make a list of the top 5 forward eligible for this group it would be: Compher, Fasching, Shea, Brian Williams, and Talcott as the top 5 imo with Hayden, Guertler, and Allen right there as well. I have no clue if the USNDP can land Taylor Cammarata as he would probably be in the top two forwards for this group, but I will leave him out as most Minny kids say no to the program (Fasching has a different situation that could work out for USA Hockeys favor).

Some serious high end talent for the 95 birth year Americans so far.

Last edited:

Overtime Again

Mar 3, 2011
What a great selection of players with some surprising omissions. When the team is finally selected and they are ready to compete in the upcoming season what type of schedule would they be looking at ?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What a great selection of players with some surprising omissions. When the team is finally selected and they are ready to compete in the upcoming season what type of schedule would they be looking at ?

You'd see something similar to what the U-17 team is playing this year:

- 36 regular season USHL games
- 14 International games (3 separate tournaments)
- 3 exhibition games (USHL/NAHL)
+ USHL playoffs if the NTDP qualifies (both U-17 and U-18 games make up Team USA for standings purposes. If they make the playoffs it's the U-17 team that plays though as the U-18 team is at the IIHF U-18 tournament).

youngmansgame

Mar 19, 2010
Shattuck kids and the NTDP

Regarding the Shattuck kids, Raskob and Cammarata are very happy at Shattuck. Raskob will not accept offer. Lewis is a long shot making this team. However he has good up side down the road. Cammarata was approached very early in the season regarding this program. The family has been on the fence ever since. The NTDP, hope that Cammarata and family will take a good look at the program during the camp. The word is that Shattuck does not want him to leave the program. And is in the works of offering him and the family a new school aid package.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
USA Hockey announced the first 7 commits to next year's NTDP team:

F - Connor Chatham (St. Louis Blues U16)
F - J.T. Compher (Team Illinois U16)
F - Hudson Fasching (Apple Valley HS)
F - Brandon Shea (Noble and Greenough Prep)
D - Will Butcher (Madison Capitals U18)
D - Steve Santini (Apple Core)
D - Scott Savage (LA Selects U16)

http://usahockey.com/USANTDP/default.aspx?id=237930

We already knew about the 3 d-men and Compher. Getting Fasching is a HUGE coup for the NTDP.

I'll remove Hunter Miska from the accept list since he wasn't announced in this first wave.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
USA Hockey announced the first 7 commits to next year's NTDP team:

F - Connor Chatham (St. Louis Blues U16)
F - J.T. Compher (Team Illinois U16)
F - Hudson Fasching (Apple Valley HS)
F - Brandon Shea (Noble and Greenough Prep)
D - Will Butcher (Madison Capitals U18)
D - Steve Santini (Apple Core)
D - Scott Savage (LA Selects U16)

http://usahockey.com/USANTDP/default.aspx?id=237930

We already knew about the 3 d-men and Compher. Getting Fasching is a HUGE coup for the NTDP.

I'll remove Hunter Miska from the accept list since he wasn't announced in this first wave.

this USA NTDP team is looking scary....I have seen Butcher and Santini play and I heard good things about Savage...I also like Clint Lewis and Willie Raskob from Shattuck who I think if they commit will be on the team along with Alex Smith from Honey Baked.

The forwards look amazing too if all commit...Shea, Cammarata and Fashking being the big impact players...im interested in Shea and Erne because they are ranked for the QMJHL draft and if they do not commite then that makes things interesting for the QMJHL. Other guys like Gabe Guertler, Evan Allen, Tyler Motte, JT Compher, are great forwards.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I really didn't think Fasching would commit at all, let alone this early. Really big get for them. He could end up the highest drafted forward from the program since Kane and JVR in '07.

It's strange that they've extended an early invite to a player who's only played in a handful of games this season in Chatham. That seems like exactly the type of player you'd want to get a good look at before doing so. He wasn't really on my radar at all so it'd be interesting if anyone has any insight on him.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
My buddy's nephew plays on the Blues team, and we're gonna go to a game soon. My buddy is a big dude, and he says Connor is bigger than him. When we go, I'll definitely keep an eye on him, and relay what I seen.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
My buddy's nephew plays on the Blues team, and we're gonna go to a game soon. My buddy is a big dude, and he says Connor is bigger than him. When we go, I'll definitely keep an eye on him, and relay what I seen.

Unless you/they made Nationals I think most mm teams seasons are over.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
So I just read lol...I guess I may have to watch him next season, but my buddy said he dominates, and at 6'2", I can see why.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
If the LA Selects, Dallas Stars, and some Arizona teams are able to put together programs in less that 25 years that routinely send players to the NTDP program, how come you never see any players from the Jr. Flyers, for example, or other Delaware Valley programs?

The Detroit, Minnesota, and, even, Illinois kids are to be expected. But the "non-traditional" market teams are sending kids regularly. Hockey in the Delaware Valley was not elite 20 or 30 years ago, but there is no excuse anymore.

Any ideas?

(I realize this is a bit off-topic)

jntadt22

Mar 6, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
If the LA Selects, Dallas Stars, and some Arizona teams are able to put together programs in less that 25 years that routinely send players to the NTDP program, how come you never see any players from the Jr. Flyers, for example, or other Delaware Valley programs?

The Detroit, Minnesota, and, even, Illinois kids are to be expected. But the "non-traditional" market teams are sending kids regularly. Hockey in the Delaware Valley was not elite 20 or 30 years ago, but there is no excuse anymore.

Any ideas?

I think it's because of the effort that those programs put into their players. It's no different than Shattuck. They didn't have the players going to College and NHL 20 years ago. I think alot of the East Coast (or further East Coast than the Midwest) teams are more concerned with making money. There are too many AAA leagues and teams out east in my opinion. Although, that's probably the case in Detroit/Chicago now with the new HPHL they just announced last week. I think I went a little further off topic for you!!

Sorry!

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area

Any ideas?

Isn't Bobby Ryan from like Cherry Hill? and Van Riemsdyk is from Middletown, which is kind of a stretch but somewhat Delaware Valley. Those are 2 guys who might make the Olympic team in 2014. Eric Tangradi is also from around the Philly area too. So I wouldn't be too disappointed with the output out of the Philly area.

jntadt22

Mar 6, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
In addition Hockey1975, a lot of those "up and coming" programs have some former Professionals helping them out. Look at a program like the St. Louis AAA Blues, their current heading coaching staff looks like this:

Midget Major U18 – Scott Sanderson
Midget Minor U16 – Bil Mermis
1996 - Bantam Major – Al MacInnis
1997 - Bantam Minor – Jordan Janes (AC Keith Tkachuk)
1998 - Pee Wee Major – Jeff Brown (AC keith Tkachuk)
1999 - Pee Wee Minor – Kelly Chase
2000 - Squirt Major - Scott Brandes

A former NHLer in 4 of the 7 teams. And if you look at MY Rankings, they are all quality teams. I've seen the 96 group a few months ago and they looked like a machine.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Isn't Bobby Ryan from like Cherry Hill? and Van Riemsdyk is from Middletown, which is kind of a stretch but somewhat Delaware Valley. Those are 2 guys who might make the Olympic team in 2014. Eric Tangradi is also from around the Philly area too. So I wouldn't be too disappointed with the output out of the Philly area.

Well Bobby Ryan was from Cherry Hill, but he made out of LA. I believe from around Peewee up he was in SoCal.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Any ideas?

Probably a wide variety of factors that contribute. I don't know much about the Delaware Valley hockey scene but I'll throw out some ideas:

1) Two of the areas you mentioned (LA and Dallas) are two of the biggest hotbeds for athletes in all of America. Just getting a small group of kids that otherwise would have played football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. to try hockey can make a difference.

2) "Attention grabbing" events like the Gretzky trade to LA and the Stars moving to Dallas and their subsequent success. It's sometimes easier to come into non-established hockey markets and start from scratch rather than try and improve upon markets that already have a hockey culture in place, regardless of how successful they've been.

3) Options or a lack there of. While there's a few AAA clubs in California, you typically see all of the kids that advance coming from the same team/club at a specific time. The best players in the area typically all funnel to the same team, sometimes it's the JR Kings, sometimes the LA Selects. There's really no other competition for the talent. You either play for whatever the top team is for that age group or you leave the area for another team, like an Emerson Etem to Shattuck, Matt Nieto to Salisbury, or Rocco Grimaldi to Little Caesars. A lot of the high end California kids have been playing together since Peewee and before, like the powerhouse California Wave teams of the past. There's no high school hockey or local prep schools to worry about.

4) Hockey isn't a cheap sport to begin with. It's even more expensive to find competition when you're playing out of a non-traditional market like an LA. I played AAA hockey in LA and a lot of the kids I played with came from well off families. To kind of go back to ideas #2 and #3 it opens up a lot of opportunities for retired professionals to retire to Southern California and run hockey camps or become directors for the travel teams and dip into the pockets of rich parents looking for the best training for their kids they can buy.

5) Roller hockey. I didn't start playing ice hockey till I was 11 when Keith Gretzky was coaching the local ECHL team (and a public ice rink was opened, he decided to offer our roller hockey travel team discounted rates to try ice hockey). At the time, roller hockey was pretty popular in California. California was and is a hotbed for roller hockey talent in the country. Just look at last year's Team USA Inline hockey team (that won the IIHF World Championships Gold)...of the 14 members on the team, 8 are Californians. Pretty much every Californian of note in ice hockey got their start in roller hockey and then switched over. A good foundation of players to target for the ice hockey market. A lot of the California kids you're seeing lately are the first generation of roller hockey players to also get into ice hockey at a young age.

....I'd say, at least for California, the biggest factors of those I listed are a combination of idea #2 (Gretzky trade) and #5 (Roller Hockey). We've just now begun to see the benefits of Gretzky arriving in LA. It was too late for a few of the roller hockey generations when he got here but now we're starting to see kids come up that started in roller hockey and then got into ice hockey while young as well. The roller hockey is really important though in a non-traditional area like California.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Well Bobby Ryan was from Cherry Hill, but he made out of LA. I believe from around Peewee up he was in SoCal.

Yeah, Ryan's originally from New Jersey but moved to LA when he was 10/11 and played with the LA Jr Kings until moving to play for Honeybaked at 15 and then entering the OHL the next year.

"When people ask me where I'm from, I do say New Jersey, born and considerably raised, I guess," he said. "But when people ask where my hockey roots are, [Los Angeles] is the place I say. This is where a lot of good things started for me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/news/story?id=4914413

The greater Philadelphia/New Jersey area is on the upswing though. You have a guy like Bobby Ryan that got his start there, James van Riemsdyk, Eric Tangradi, John Carlson, Bobby Sanguinetti, Nick Ebert (one of the best '94s in the world) and Anthony DeAngelo (youngest player ever in the USHL, eligible for 2014 draft). They may not have the volume you'd hope for but they're certainly kicking out their fare share of high-end guys in the last few years. Hopefully they can build on it!

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Thanks to all of the replys. I don't know how to do the multi-quote thing, so I'll just make some comments here. I want to make it clear that I'm not criticizing the NTDP. I'm starting with the assumption that DelVal just isn't producing talent for NTDP. I'm also not saying the region hasn't produced NHLers.

Re: DelVal kids that have "made it." JVR was an absolute prodigy and is the only guy I can think of that has made the NTDP program. He wasn't even playing AAA hockey. He played for Brick, which is the same organization that produced Jim Dowd.

Tangradi went from the Jr. Flyers to the OHL if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Ryan counts for the reasons already stated. I have high hopes for Agostino, and Godreau might get drafted this year, as he is a major talent. Almost all the other kids are more or less NYC guys.

Re: Money. Believe me, the kids that play for the top programs in the DelVal are mostly well-off. In fact, that might be the exact problem. I don't want to get into that though.

Re: Professional Involvement. Team Comcast has had a ton of ex-Flyer involvement: Primeau, Derion Hatcher, etc.

The best NHLer from the area at the moment is Mark Eaton. He was an absolute beast growing up. Yet he got cut from certain teams growing up. That might tell us more about the problems than anything else. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad