2011 2012 player usage charts

Sh00terMcGavin

#Leadership
Jul 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not to sound biased, but holy crap was J. Staal a beast. He played against the best opposition constantly and still managed to put up 50 points in 62 games.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Phaneuf was a beast for the Leafs last year. His QoC is just crazy, yet people still talk about how terrible defensively he is. Its the rest of the defense that doesn't know how to stop the puck

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Wow, crazy to see the comparison between Giroux and Malkin/Stamkos.

Giroux faced tougher competition while having less offensive zone starts.

And crazy to see Couturier's job this year.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Ryan O'Reilly and Landeskog the two best on Colorado (mainly playing against 1st lines with avg o zone starts and high shots for).

Hejda/O'Byrne were in over their head.

Impressive to see what McDonagh/Girardi did on NYR.

Scott Gomez had about 65% offensize zone starts which is about the max on there and below 0 qoc and yet still finished with like 10 pts :facepalm:

Nashville need to use Colin Wilson more. I knew it too from watching him, he's not being played enough and needs more responsibility.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Only thing with qualcomp is that it's not very reliable between players on different teams. Giroux and Malkin probably played a lot of players of very similar ability; the zonestarts certainly paint a stronger picture for Giroux, though.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Only thing with qualcomp is that it's not very reliable between players on different teams. Giroux and Malkin probably played a lot of players of very similar ability; the zonestarts certainly paint a stronger picture for Giroux, though.
Good point.

I'm not too verse with hockey advanced stats (big fan of baseball sabermetrics though), so this is all somewhat new to me.

Obviously Malkin and Stamkos are being used to their strengths: uber-elite offensive production.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Good point.

I'm not too verse with hockey advanced stats (big fan of baseball Sabremetrics though), so this is all somewhat new to me.

Obviously Malkin and Stamkos are being used to their strengths: uber-elite offensive production.

Giroux couldn't cheat up the ice as often if he had more offensive zone starts.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Nikitin looks amazing even on Blues page. That comes as a surprise.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Indeed, Nikitin is a surprise.

Ryan McDonagh is a stud. He's going to be the Rangers best d-man by far for years to come.

Backes and Oshie are the two most valuable forwards on the Blues. Their defensive play and what they do is impressive.

Great read.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
Wow! I had no idea Corey Perry was so much better than Sheldon Brookbank! What an interesting piece of hockey literature! :sarcasm:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I think Malkin's offensive zones will probably be a little lower next year with Crosby playing 70 + games, there is pretty much no point in starting the Pens 3rd or 4th lines in the offensive zone and Staal's much better on the dot than Malkin and is used to handling tough minutes.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's really interesting to see which teams had their top offensive players also in the shutdown role (San Jose, St. Louis, Anaheim, Boston, Colorado, Detroit, LA, etc.) and which sheltered them with easy minutes (Vancouver, Chicago, Carolina, Dallas, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Washington, Ottawa, NYI, etc.).

Let me use this opportunity to vindicate my appreciation for Grabovski. I get laughed at when I say his contract is good and that he's Toronto's best forward besides Kessel, but the guy is truly great.

Another surprise was Nikitin and Tyutin. I always knew Tyutin was an awesome player, but I didn't know just how good.

And lastly, the Selke belongs to David Backes. He is a truly amazing, amazing player.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Too bad the voters will completely ignore this when voting for the Calder winner. No knock against Nuge, but he was extremely sheltered compared to Landeskog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad