2011-2012: Our lucky year?

matt77

Feb 27, 2013
It's one of my first post here, so I'll try to make it short. I don't know if somebody already brought that up, but I'd like to talk about how lucky we were to finish 15th last year...

Last season, something very special happened in the Eastern Conference. It was the first time since 1987-1988 that a team was finishing last of its conference with a +/- differentiel being that high. In other words, it was the first time in 25 years that a low-ranking team was that good. Let's take a look at the standings last year.

575785Differentiel.png

How many games did we lose by only one goal last year? We were bad, but we weren't that bad...I've tracked down every season since 2011-2012 and the last time something like that happened was in 1987-1988 when the Pittsburgh Penguins finished with a +/- differentiel of +3. The Mario Lemieux era combined with a few years finishing last helped them to win the Stanley Cup in 1990-1991 and 1991-1992.

My point is very simple. We finished in last position, we drafted Alex Galchenyuk, one of the most explosive players we had in many years, and Sebastian Collberg, a top ranking prospect who was classed 4th among the European skaters last year. And, we have some great core players with Carey Price, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty, etc.

Now, we're first of the conference and a new era is beginning. I'm not saying we're going to win the Stanley Cup this year, but maybe finishing 15th last year was not a bad thing at all...

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
good post.

which is why when people put montreal at the bottom of the east again, you know they weren't paying attention to what had happened and were only standings-gazing

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
good post.

which is why when people put montreal at the bottom of the east again, you know they weren't paying attention to what had happened and were only standings-gazing

The 1 goal games were due to Martin's system.

Also, goal differential is only expected to strongly correlate with rank within a division.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
True, the Habs were under-performing last year, but...

Do you remember when Reggie Tremblay predicted that the Habs would be first in the east this year?? We all laughed at him big time.

I mean, OK, the guy is senile, irrelevant etc. But if the team keeps it up, he may have been spot on! :laugh::laugh:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Before the season started we thought the line-up would be something along:

Patch - DD - Cole
Bourque - Plek - Gio
Prust - Eller - Armstrong
Moen - Nokia - White

We didn't know if Markov was still able to play, we didn't know Diaz and Bouillon would be that good.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Also, goal differential is only expected to strongly correlate with rank within a division.

who cares how it happens really, most people here knew we weren't that bad.

True, the Habs were under-performing last year, but...

Do you remember when Reggie Tremblay predicted that the Habs would be first in the east this year?? We all laughed at him big time.

I mean, OK, the guy is senile, irrelevant etc. But if the team keeps it up, he may have been spot on! :laugh::laugh:

he was saying we'd win the cup, win the east, price for vezina, patches for richard (or hart can't remember) and chucky for calder

not saying they'll all come true, but oh dear god have mercy on our soul if he's right... :help:

matt77

Feb 27, 2013

Maybe you're right but this is particularly special because normally the teams who finished last always had a differential around -60, sometimes -100, or even -150 in some case.

The fact that we finished with a -15 differential is really unusual. Plus, we drafted two extremely talented players. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprise if the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup in the next 3-4 years.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It wasn't even -14 in actual hockey situations either. NHL.com counts a shootout win as +1 and a shootout loss as -1 in the GF and GA columns. And we went 5-12 in the SO.

It was 207 goals for and 214 against in non-shootout situations, so only -7 was our actual goal differential.

Last year was divine intervention by the hockey gods in order to force us to clean house+get a stud C prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad